Thread Closed 
my new AE86.
01-22-2006, 02:30 AM
my new AE86.
hey guys, i am REALLY new to this and am hoping to get started with a 1000$ white AE86 i am buying soon, i am not 100% on what kind it is yet i am going to look at it soon. here are a list of parts i plan to buy for it (all over a span of time of course) you have to understand, i know only what i have heard and am hoping you guys cna point me in the right direction with getting parts, heres what i have so far (i know i sound like a noob.)

-15 inch konig wheels

-some sort of drift spec tires (help?)

-tein drift coilovers

-4AGE motor swap

-some sort of individual throttle body setup (help?)

-limited slip differential (help?)

-manual transmission

-black paint/body kit (what would be good choices for drifting?)

-weld myself up a roll cage (yeah i can do it.)

-some sort of modified exhaust (help?, not a gay fart can. something that helps performance but doesnt sound like a coffe can welded straight onto my headers.

-headers (help? what are some good brands?)

thats about all i can think of, will there be any mods neccisary to do to it to make it more suitable for drifting?

I REALLY do apperciate ANY help you guys have, (or suggestion, complements, questions, advice.)

same shit, different day.
Find all posts by this user
01-22-2006, 12:28 PM
my new AE86.
Hiya, welcome to the forums..I'm sure everyone here will be more then happy to help you on the way..

I have some remarks for you that may or may not be helpful..they're just things that I ran into during the last few years..

First ask yourself the question: What is it that I really want to do? Drifting or modding the hell out of my car? Those are two facts that may seem complimentary but are usually mutually exclusive..

Drifting, trackdriving AutoXing are driving sports that require lots of seat time to get you to improve yourself..Seattime requires a LOT of money and more importantly: a car that runs and is reliable.
Don't underestimate the cost associated with any of these events. The entry fees are steep but reasonable..Most of the costs result from gas (expensive here in EU, lucky US bastards!), tirewear (expect to go through a set every two events when you get good at drifting) and other replacement parts (diffs!).
Tinkering with cars is also a good way of ensuring that it will see a lot less events..It rarely makes the car more reliable and as a result you end up with a car that spends 60% of its time on axlestands. It is good to choose one priority, either driving or tinkering, and get really good at that first..

With that said, here are some comments on your proposed setup:

-15 inch konig wheels
not really needed but look good..plenty of cheap tires in 195-50-15

-some sort of drift spec tires (help?)
Whatever you can get cheap, makes no difference to beginners

-tein drift coilovers
rediculously expensive, you are better of with a set of HTS+ground controll sleeves..

-4AGE motor swap
Good way of guaranteeing a lot of downtime..would be onthe top of my list though[i/]

-some sort of individual throttle body setup (help?)
[i] Why?

-limited slip differential (help?)
Not really needed..if you can drift without and LSD, you can drift anything..more fun with one though

-manual transmission

-black paint/body kit (what would be good choices for drifting?)
Why?

-weld myself up a roll cage (yeah i can do it.)
but can you make one that actually works and doesn't end up collapsing around you in a crash?

-some sort of modified exhaust (help?, not a gay fart can. something that helps performance but doesnt sound like a coffe can welded straight onto my headers.
performance gains are minimal, waste of money if driving is the objective

-headers (help? what are some good brands?)
marginal gains, see above. I would combine funds from the 4A-GE, throttle bodies, exhaust and headers and use the money to buy a GZE..much more sensible way of spending money..or leave the mods alone and invest in seattime ..

The thing that strikes me about your list is the way it is constructed..Its the way my list would look if i were to modify a brand new car..the AE86 is pretty old, expect a lot of costs to keep here running and replacing parts that need replacing...For a good drifting car this would be my priority:
Reliable engine (whatever type) ergo fresh fluids, filters, sparkplugs etc
Reliable car (new ball joints, new bushings etc..see Zax's thread for a good example)..
Reliable brakes (rebuild callipers, new brakelines, fresh fluid and pads).

From there you have a reliable base that should serve you well..just start adding parts as funds come in..[/i]

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
01-22-2006, 01:51 PM
my new AE86.
I totally agree. First read some of the project threads here and on club4ag, to get the feel for what hachiroku is all about and what you will be getting yourself into. Then Decide what you want to do w/ the car, make a good plan. Then go for it. You will see that its more then just mounting some expensive coilovers and going to the track.. ive spent some 4k-5k US dollars on the car /car included) and it still doesnt run. and some people spend that much on the bodywork alone, just to get rid of all that rust and make car strong again. As NoHachi told you fixing the car up to a propper condition should be the first thing on your list; unless ofcourse you buy a restored car from the start. Its not the cheapest ticket for this rollercoaster, but its got great spirit and building the car up is part of the fun. Appreciate it, respect it and youll get the ride of your life. Hurray!
01-22-2006, 06:53 PM
my new AE86.
hey guys, i really did take ALL of your information into consideration, you guys really seem to know yourstuff and i know i cant go wrong if i listen to the advice you guys have to give, so here is a list of the mods i plan to do to the car over times (yes i will make a projects thread when i get pictures)

Respect!

-starting with, a 1985 (or 86?) corolla hatchback sr5. (minimal rust/bodydamage) it is going to cost me 1000$ and i am picking it up next weekend.

-parts i already have lying around the shop- new steering wheel, 2 front seats.

-parts i plan to get (in order)- bodywork/rust removal, maybe some paint, re-do the brakes (searching for info on how to do so), limited slip differential, tires(195-50-15), limited slip differential, 4AGZE motor swap (along with all the GTS/other car parts needed to do the swap, and maybe twincharge it?), a set of HTS and ground control sleeves, air intake setup, and eventually 15 inch konig rims.

keep in mind, these upgrades all come in a LARGE span of time. but im sure they will be done by my 18th birthday. (i am 14) the reason i get the car so early is because It will be my work car to work on until i get my licsense to drive. I havent even picked up the car yet though. my dad freind owns private land with 22 feet wide walkways going for miles, he said my dad can take me out there to drive until i get my liscence. so im sure it will be a good place to practice.

and before i go, here is a link to what i plan to do with the cars motor situation
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Lane/...outoo.html

01-22-2006, 08:12 PM
my new AE86.
Damn..I wish I could have afforded this kind of thing at 14..
Oh well..tweaking and tuning my 2-stroke moped was fun as well.

01-22-2006, 11:07 PM
my new AE86.
my corolla is only a 8v single cam SR5 and i want to upgrade it with a 4agze 20v and a twin charger for extra power. i havent paid for the sr5 yet, i am trying to decide between getting a 85 gts with a nice paintjob and wheels and tires and brakes for 3,500 (i think even some coilovers) (but it has bad timing, but i can fix it easily) or a UPGRADE a single cam 8v sr5 (1000$) with a few things . i really just wanna fix up the GTS but i am not sure if its worth the extra 2500.

01-22-2006, 11:13 PM
my new AE86.
20v twincharger, not a good idea, keep it real mate, get something more reliable. Get an 86, learn the car, go mad after that, its working for me.
Theres nothing wrong with a standard 86, get yourself on http://www.club4ag.com

An 86 is for Life, not just for Christmas
01-23-2006, 08:07 AM
my new AE86.
well, its an sr5 so it only has a 8v singla cam. i went and saw it today.

its white with red recaro front and back seats, i am painting it black with red pin stripe though. since its a SR5 i am swapping out the single cam 8 valve motor with a 16 valve 4AGZE and then getting some TRD coilovers, dual webber 40mm carbs (replacing fuel injection unit), reducing weight by taking ALOT of useless parts out (cruise control, winsheild wiper fluid bottle, Air conditioning, speacial light battery, stripping door panels and usless interior but keeping the back seats.) then of course a LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL and 4 wheel disc brakes to go on my 15inch konig wheels and some cheap tires.

but you know, im so indecisive. i dont know wether i want a 16valve 4agze or a 20 valve blacktop 4age. what do you guys think?

01-23-2006, 10:25 AM
my new AE86.
Worry about that later....first get the car. Then get started on the body and suspension. Your already planning the entire car before you have even started.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-23-2006, 10:43 AM
my new AE86.
Recaro back seats? That would be a first for me...

Kent, I'm gonna go out on a limb here..please don't feel offended..You already know a whole lot about cars for a 14 year old..I'm sure that that will only improve with time..Anyone wanting to come here and talk about cars is more then welcome..we do not have an admission rule stating that you have to own one of these cars before you can participate.

Long lists of parts on a car are not really a part of what gets you respected on forums like these. Its the hard work that somebody puts into a car within his or hers budget...I think even the buildup of a dirtbike or such would get some approving remarks here, when done nicely.

So concluding: If you are indeed a 14 year old, with huge dreams like all of us used to have, but no chance of participating in the whole ae86 game: thats ok..you're more then welcome, hope you don't feel the need to make up lots of stories to feel accepted..

If you are indeed a 14 year old with a budget lerger then that of 99% of the people on the forums: you lucky bastard. :wink:

Thread Closed