Is this diff whine and r&p or drive shaft bearing proble
08-22-2006, 01:30 AM
Quote:changed the oil and what come out was like clear honey... so oil was fine.

Cool, usually any metal on metal contact and you would see metal particles in the oil which are quite visable with the naked eye.

Quote:i also noticed a metal on meatl scraping noise when i hand turn the rear wheels.

i turn it 360 degrees and for 270 degrees of it, there is some resistance (maybe light scraping?) to it and for 90 degrees of the rotation it is smooth. nos with this in mind i think its the diff as the gears inside must lead to this... or not? thoughts pls?!

Might sound silly dude but your dics are probably warped. The discs are out of true for 270 degrees and in true for the other 90 degrees. Dragging brakes on rusty old discs or tired pads sounds like light scraping. The rear calipers on these cars go easily and need over hauling / replacing.

Just read you have drums, same sort of thing applies, maybe the pads are fubar have you checked? You will always hear an amount of brake drag when you spin the wheels.

Just a thought do you know if your rear shocks are ok? If the damper seals are gone then you get alot of vibration through the back end at certain speeds this does turn into a drone.

Same for the wheel bearings, if these are tired the noise can be quite distinct. When fucked its really really noisy.

Happy to look over it for your mate, just uber busy this week and next week with the house. Could manage some time next weekend possibly?

Cheers

James

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Is this diff whine and r&am...ing proble]

http://www.eight-six.co.uk - read the blog!

UK AE86 Forum - http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?m...ghtsixcouk
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-22-2006, 08:38 PM
James yeah if you can spare some time to look over the car that would be cool and hopefully wont take more than an hour of your time (thats all i ahve at the moment with the 2 joys of my life that take up alot of my time Confused )

but i hear you about the brakes but i think that might be a separate thing to the other loud vibrations. i wanted to describe everything i have heard and found as i've been trying to diagnose this problem. unless the rear drums could make such a bad and loud vibration from 20mph onwards getting louder independant of throttle?

Doctor> cheers for the response, i cant use the throttle to change the noises of the diff. the vibrations and noise come on song at low speed regardless of throttle input or in or out of gear and even when coasting - bascially a speed related thing as opposed to load?

how much propshaft play is norm? when i shake it i hear the rubber squeeking and there is a little bit of movment a few mill i would say, not rattling

Find all posts by this user
08-22-2006, 10:16 PM
Quote:James yeah if you can spare some time to look over the car that would be cool and hopefully wont take more than an hour of your time (thats all i ahve at the moment with the 2 joys of my life that take up alot of my time )

Ahh bring them around mate, they can play with some power tools and fit my bathroom if they feel like it. What can go wrong :wink:

Quote:but i hear you about the brakes but i think that might be a separate thing to the other loud vibrations. i wanted to describe everything i have heard and found as i've been trying to diagnose this problem. unless the rear drums could make such a bad and loud vibration from 20mph onwards getting louder independant of throttle?

Got a feeling it may be wheel bearings. These will drone first and then rumble when they start tearing themselves apart, will happen at a set speed independent of throttle, can make the wheel look wobbly when free spinning and will cause a metal grinding noise when rotated. Feel the back wheels around the centre, do they feel hot after a drive? If they do thats a sign of heat build up in the wheel assembly (binding calipers, shagged wheel bearing).

Had one go on the GF's car and didnt have the chance to change it for a month, the noise and vibration got really bad even at slow speed.

Cheers

James

http://www.eight-six.co.uk - read the blog!

UK AE86 Forum - http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?m...ghtsixcouk
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-22-2006, 10:37 PM
I thought I might add i'm having a rubbing noise coming from the rear of my car too. From what people are saying here it would make sense to be the rear bearings (although I hope it isn't, they are supposedly a git to replace). I'm going to change my diff oil tommorow and hope for the best. If not, then it's £100 for the bearings Crying
08-26-2006, 08:23 AM
oil changed and went to empty the container.....

i poured it into an empty bottle and as it flowed there were bits of metal in there Huh not like small particles but bits.

will check the oil properly when i get a nice clear tub.

that'll be the diff then......... 2way please Hurray!

08-26-2006, 09:21 AM
Oli,

Well max got the sweatest deal right now so timing can't be more perfect <grin> Big Grin

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
08-26-2006, 10:46 AM
You forget Mux, that its probably the R&P, not the diff itself..shame really, the trd ones a quite a sweet deal.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
08-26-2006, 01:08 PM
i noticed the deal. will have investigate further.

so if there's bits in the oil then it probably be crown wheel and pinion?

08-27-2006, 01:35 AM
nohachi, yupz probably the R&P

but hey, a nice new LSD never heart anyoneBig Grin

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
08-27-2006, 06:41 PM
ok the oil container was bought new and when it flowed out and into an empty bottle to dispose of, it flowed with bits in.

I thought it was metal bits but it actually was bits of plastic fromt he container not bits from the diff.... so no metal bits in there.....

fuck this is pissing me off now just want to get the fucking thing sorted.

any more ideas? if not i'll replace the lot ffs!!! Angry Banging head Banging head Banging head

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Play between steering column and intermediate shaft after manual rack sonversion DaLanZhu 5 5,826 07-31-2019 11:28 AM
Last Post: mad.matt
  Steering shaft issue Ryo 15 11,458 11-19-2018 09:52 AM
Last Post: Ivan141
  Gearbox and Diff options MIGGZFSU 35 24,910 03-26-2017 12:00 AM
Last Post: MIGGZFSU
  20v mains & big end bearing izanagi 9 9,326 12-26-2016 12:42 PM
Last Post: pack
  Final drive calculation. Aram 31 29,431 12-24-2014 03:08 PM
Last Post: Uzelac