Is this diff whine and r&p or drive shaft bearing proble
08-03-2006, 03:48 PM
cheers for your help and input guys.

Kenny> that could be an option but the 8th is a tuesday? limited holiday this year prevents me from weekdays. i think the nearest badasses are black betty and i've even offered him a play in it but not taken so far.

it sucks living this far south drift/car wise as you knobhunters have all the fun (waaah Sad )

the more i think and read everyones comments the more i'm thinking it may not be ring and pinion. as it isn't effected by accel/decell or freewheeling/coasting as everyone has mentioned that rnp would.

Ivan> I think you have a point about the driveshaft bearing - maybe you can have a listen once you get a chance and see if it sounds like the noise in the video. At about 30 sec. I'm coasting it and thats not the engine note you hear.

I'll ahve a look at the manual and look at the assembly of it.

again cheers!

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Is this diff whine and r&am...ing proble]
Find all posts by this user
08-04-2006, 07:55 AM
I would suggest you draw Adomz's attention to your thread, he's familiar with the sound.
I've never driven on bearings that where gone far enough to be as loud as the engine (although my volvo is coming close at the moment). Wheel bearings would get louder on corners, and more quiet when the damaged bearing is on the inside wheel in a corner.
That's why I suspect it's the driveshaft bearing, in which case you should consider yourself lucky cause it's more easy to find/replace and a hell of a lot cheaper than a new rnp.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-04-2006, 09:15 AM
Again many thanks Ivan, I'll track this Adomz gentleman down.
Did you get to listen/watch the video?
Does he go by the username Adomz?

Cheers

08-04-2006, 10:40 AM
Sorry, havent seen the vid, already been getting subtle complaints about my watching car sites too often (motivation is at an all time high since it's almost my last week with this job).
adomz is on the forum...just look him up in the member list.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
08-04-2006, 11:43 AM
Adjusted the topic titel, may attract the right people in hereBig Grin
( damn interesting topic btwBig Grin )

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
08-04-2006, 01:00 PM
Cheers for changing the topic. Hurray!

glad some are finding interesting! I just want get rid of the noise Crying

I've contacted Adomz - hopfeully he wil look, listen and respond.

If I have time this weekend I'll look at getting it jacked up and try running it and locate the noise with video to go with it.

Its looking less likely to be the crown wheel and pinion or ring and pinion... is that good or bad? Confused

08-04-2006, 01:50 PM
Like I said...in any case that's a good thing...bearings are cheaper than those gears. And spare driveshafts arent impossible to find either cause rarely anyone ever needs to replace them.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
08-04-2006, 11:17 PM
Right I've jacked the car up and I've noticed a few things.

With the rear wheels off I've noticed there's little play. The car has drums, and the 4 studs can be wiggled/turn ever so slightly (all together, not a single loose stud)

Same both sides - I think this is irrelevent as there will be a little play. correct me if I'm wrong.

Now the noise I think is actually vibrations that increase when the speed increases to a point that it becomes really loud and sounds like a roar of the engine.

I've videod some footage of the car on stands inside and of the rear wheels, I need to convert this or get someone to do this (most liekly) so when its ready I'll upload.

I thought it could have ben the spacers as on the stands in third gear, I noticed the rear wheels looked like they were wobbling only very slightly (wheel bearings!!?!?)

Another thing I did take not of, was that initially I though it was the rear that made this noise but listening (while driving) I could hear the noise just under the floor pan in the front too -but only when i put my head close, whereas the rear is loud. I still think this maybe the propshaft bearings? or the propshaft itself? the diff didn't make any strange noises when on the axle stand.

On the stands the noise was difficult to hear and DEFINITELY more noticeable volume wise on the road - again does this point to driveshaft bearing??? On the stands the wheels are not trying to overcome any road friction and weight of the car, whereas on the road the extra loading on the shaft and bearings contribute to the vibration/noise.

Long post over but i want to give enough info so someone could help my daignose whats happening

comments and thoughts please!

08-07-2006, 09:53 AM
ok

took the car out again last night and the noise/vibration is coming from along the transmission tunnel. and have felt just on the floorpan near the handbrake it gets pretty warm through the carpet.

seems that heat is getting transmitted through from the centre driveshaft bearing? and the noise seems to be coming from there.

i think this is probably the logical answer but i need to get under it to see waht driveshaft it is.

single one piece anyone? Hurray!

Ok with waht I've noticed and looked at so far does this seem feasible and likely?

help!?

08-07-2006, 12:46 PM
Heat is coming from the exhaust my friend Smile No idea about the rest.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Play between steering column and intermediate shaft after manual rack sonversion DaLanZhu 5 5,826 07-31-2019 11:28 AM
Last Post: mad.matt
  Steering shaft issue Ryo 15 11,455 11-19-2018 09:52 AM
Last Post: Ivan141
  Gearbox and Diff options MIGGZFSU 35 24,907 03-26-2017 12:00 AM
Last Post: MIGGZFSU
  20v mains & big end bearing izanagi 9 9,326 12-26-2016 12:42 PM
Last Post: pack
  Final drive calculation. Aram 31 29,428 12-24-2014 03:08 PM
Last Post: Uzelac