Steering shaft issue
11-12-2018, 05:31 PM
Steering shaft issue
Hello,
Can someone help me to solve issue how put together the shaft that goes into the tube as there are 2 like plastic rings (marked red on picture) and the first was broken so i used 2 component epoxy but it breaked anyway now i am lost. Is there some way to use for those plastic rings something like construction glue as they seems to be some way of plastic that was liquid state before and they just put it together in factory this way.
I dismantled it because i needed to replace the upper bearing and stopper bearing and i just have not find way to replace them other way. Factory manual was not helpful at all and on toyodiy there is no information that this two parts can be dismantled. Thank you for any hints.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

85' AE86 GT coupe lifetime project since 2005
Find all posts by this user
11-13-2018, 02:53 PM
Steering shaft issue
I would try to find a local business that has a 3-D printer. Or depending if you have a pick & pull, with older cars, that might have an 80's Corolla that you could strip, would be able your only hope. My guess is that Toyota would say that it is a non-stock item. Dave W
11-13-2018, 10:48 PM
Steering shaft issue
1. Does the plastic ring fit in a groove on the shaft ?
2. What is the purpose of the plastic ring ?

I have never seen this part but if the shaft is shaped like a "D" and it slides
inside a hollow shaft shaped like a "D", then it will be to stop the two shafts
rusting (sticking together) and also to stop them rattling. My guess is that it
is the "collapsable" part of the steering column.

If there is a groove in the shaft, then you may be able to find a urethane
suspension bush that can be cut/machined/filed/ground/gnawed to make a
ring that can stretch just enough to be slid down the shaft. Otherwise, it
may be possible to have the end of the shaft nylon coated as far as the
first groove.

Cheers... jondee86

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.
11-14-2018, 09:09 AM (This post was last modified: 11-14-2018 10:24 AM by totta Crolla.)
Steering shaft issue
Gnawed... lol !
If I remember correctly the bearings are accessed by removing the ignition switch, the shear bolts will shear but the remaining head can be tapped loose with a sharp pointed punch. I think the shaft can remain complete, again if I remember right there are two indents on the outer 'D' shaft that prevent the inner shaft from sliding out and it will likely be these indents that broke the nylon bushes when the inner shaft was removed. Drill out the indents, tap the holes and use screws instead when replacing the shaft. Was a long time ago though....

An analogue brain in a digital World
11-15-2018, 01:41 AM
Steering shaft issue
I am now starting to understand my mistake i should have removed the three screws that are holding retainer for upper main shaft bearing than remove the snap ring holding the main shaft bearing next to put ignition switch to ACC so i release the steering lock and than separate the bracket that holding the main shaft bearing ignitions switch and lock. It was not clear to me first how to remove the upper main shaft bearing. I can say i am lucky i did not broke the wheel locking mechanism but i am not so lucky separating the main shaft in two and i also moved the column tube which is bind together with some nylon bushes but i moved it back so hopefully it will hold in place. Now i must deal with the main shaft to put it back together. I doubt i will find some shop where i can get it nylon coated (not so specialties in my area) and put back together i can screw it together but i am not completely sure about the vibrations from steering rack i think this nylon bushes have some purpose that they have not used screws when they put it together or constructed the main shaft as a whole part. My guess is use some kind of construction glue that will not brake but can handle vibrations as well let it really well dry and than assemble all together. But now i am not sure about the glue type. Also there was some kind of lock bolt used that i don't understand it's purpose if i can't use normal bolt instead. I uploaded the picture in attachment it goes to the longest arm on the bracket. Manual says it it should be tighten until the head brake off.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

11-15-2018, 02:20 AM (This post was last modified: 11-15-2018 10:08 AM by totta Crolla.)
Steering shaft issue
Your picture is of a complete security screw, it's purpose is to make removing the steering lock a difficult task for car thieves. You can just use a normal bolt to replace it. You are correct about tightening until the head breaks off, I remember now that mine were 'head less'
The purpose of the nylon bushing is to allow the shaft to slide inside the tube in the event of an impact, the bushing along with the indents (peenings) creates enough resistance to allow the column to work as one. You could just make them a solid connection by bolting the two together but be warned about the non collapsing steering column issue.

11-15-2018, 02:38 AM
Steering shaft issue
Thanks for the explanation and for all the valuable information. Any suggestion what type of glue i can use to put the main shaft together without using screws Smile ?

11-15-2018, 08:42 AM (This post was last modified: 11-15-2018 10:12 AM by Bean.)
Steering shaft issue
(11-15-2018 02:38 AM)Ryo Wrote:  Thanks for the explanation and for all the valuable information. Any suggestion what type of glue i can use to put the main shaft together without using screws Smile ?
You could try some silicone, this will handle vibrations fine but may be difficult to insert.

Or just wrap around some tape

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-15-2018, 10:16 AM (This post was last modified: 11-15-2018 10:34 AM by totta Crolla.)
Steering shaft issue
Before inserting the main shaft the peenings should be drilled out, they will break whatever you do with the bushes as you push past them.
There is a critical length for the inner shaft and it is measured from the bottom bearing bush with the 2 nut inserts on the side. iirc you adjust the length of the shaft on the sliding joint to suit the top fixing. Try to do any adjustments to the complete inner shaft on the bench, the bottom nylon bearing / bush is quite fragile and will not stand too much push / pulling once fitted. The complete 2 section inner shaft goes in from the bottom. Make sure that the 2 bolts that go into the bush are perfectly aligned and do not over tighten them.

11-15-2018, 03:20 PM
Steering shaft issue
Yes i figured that the stopper bearing on the bottom the one with 2 screws is a bit tricky as the screws when you over tighten them can spin in the plastic casing which holds the bearing there is torque defined for them 13nm trouble is i have 3 stoppers at home but on one the bolts are already turning in the plastic on second i tightened one only to 10nm than it turns the third i have not tested. This is as well another trouble as i would like them repaired as spare but must figure out how to fix the nuts in the plastic i might try use one stopper remove the existing nuts from plastic and replace them with 6 side regular nuts. The stopper is a discontinued part so i will be not able to get a new one. For fixation of the main shaft i found loctite HY4090 the gap i need to fill in that have been those nylon bushes is between the shafts is 2.5-3mm in deepest area the HY4090 can handle vibrations and it is used to gluing parts up to 5mm so it should work. There are other loctite glues with hybrid technology that might work as well i need to study them more.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PWR light issue and no brake fluid after winter storage magpie 10 1,407 05-25-2023 08:09 AM
Last Post: Bean
  Fuel pump issue DJexor 11 3,598 04-29-2022 05:45 AM
Last Post: Bean
  Clutch Issue Deaty 8 3,452 04-09-2021 10:26 PM
Last Post: Nakilad
  5th gear issue r.ave 1 2,180 03-14-2021 08:52 PM
Last Post: Ivan141
  Play between steering column and intermediate shaft after manual rack sonversion DaLanZhu 5 5,663 07-31-2019 11:28 AM
Last Post: mad.matt