what do you use like suspensions ?
09-29-2006, 12:16 PM
Holli,

NoHachi was talking about KONI springs, not shocks Big Grin I dont think those are made anymore but KONI had a set of lowering springs but they were pretty weak.

Most of the dutch hachi's all run KONI shocks and they are highly rated. I doubt NoHachi has any bad opinion about KONI shocks.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
Find all posts by this user
09-29-2006, 12:17 PM
mr monster,

check my site at http://www.basenlily.nl and go to album -> cars -> ae86 -> pre 2006

The thread still links to my old site

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

09-29-2006, 03:40 PM
Mux is right..I was talking about the 2kg/mm type springs..Fine if you like stock and need an upgrade, but I personally wouldn't bother..just an opinion.

Koni shocks are just fine..could do with better damping curves (LOTS of hysterisis) and a bit more compression damping vs rebound. Billsteins have the higher compression damping but the non-adjustables are valved to stiff. They are a higher quality shock too.

You have to remember that even the stock koni's were valved to suit stock springs on the original car. The adjustment only influences rebound damping so you are stuck with the compression valving.

Probably the HTS ones are valved for uprated spings and have adjustment for both bump and rebound at the same time. But haven't seen any shockdyno curves of those..

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
09-29-2006, 04:34 PM
I must apologise then sir, as i obviously read it wrong. The springs i cant talk about as i use Chassis Dynamics which are actuallt quite good.

Its gotta go whoosh or give a whine!!!!
09-29-2006, 05:01 PM
Holli,

Chassis Dynamics?

More info please ! Big Grin

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

09-30-2006, 08:47 AM
they`re a small company in England, produce limited springs for most european cars, but also do a few jap cars. ill try find the site for you. they`re a drop of 45 mm approx and they handle well. the rear bump stops need the bottom ring cut off but thats it, it has never hit the stops.

Its gotta go whoosh or give a whine!!!!
09-30-2006, 11:59 AM
Hello ! thanks all yours answers !!

that's is what I found :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PROTHANE-...8831QQrdZ1

I will buy one kit if you tell it's ok .

I found this too :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KYB-GR-2-...9691QQrdZ1

Here in France, we have a seller who sell a kit of adjustable shocks with cambers plates etc for 900$

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - what do you use like suspensions ?]

what's do you think about it ? it's a D2 kit .
09-30-2006, 12:45 PM
Hey Spy,

The prothane kit is the kit a number of us have on the car and it's a good kit. Beware that we have mixed experience with this ebay seller:
http://www.aeu86.org/viewtopic.php?t=3592

The KYB shocks in the add I guess are the non adjustable KYB gas shocks I was talking about. The picture does not really make clear which ones they are, I think its a general KYB sales picture because the shocks on the left of the picture look like RX7 FC shocks or something, defo not ae86 shocksBig Grin
I'm guessing the ones in the background (with the black boxes) are 86 front shocks and the ones on the right foreground are the rears.
Anyways if they are KYB gas shocks for AE86, I've heard they are good shocks, not sure if they are long or short stroke though.

I've heard about the D2 set, there is actually a reseller of those here in Holland aswell, looked at their sets for RX7s. A tad bit expensive for my taste. I really don't know much about this brand myself so I can not judge on them but the quality seems to look good. I'll leave it up to others to give you advise on this brand.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

10-01-2006, 01:39 PM
thank you !

So where I could find the prothane kit ?

When I read all the things about suspensions, I m a bit lost, I don't know what to choose . Sad
10-01-2006, 03:01 PM
Prothane bushings: http://www.tmengineering.net/suspension/...oyota.html

Don't worry about them they are OK. Maybe they wear not as slow as the OEM ones but are much better and much cheaper as well. Good combination IMHO.

About suspensions: TRD springs and Koni short stroke shocks are popular for example in Hungary. For drifting and maybe also for grip-driving the 8kg front and 6kg rear combo is mostly used.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which threadsize to use for the vdo oil temp sensor? ditn 8 10,398 03-15-2012 01:56 AM
Last Post: Project D
  why do you use "roll center ajuster"? leckter 15 16,979 02-07-2012 07:04 PM
Last Post: Bean
  What's the LSD oil I should use? heshan 5 5,880 07-25-2011 08:13 PM
Last Post: heshan
  Has anyone used an aftermarket coil like MSD blaster? JDMitch 6 8,219 09-06-2010 06:14 PM
Last Post: Red
  Use LocTite on Bolts ????? juantonwan 2 3,573 05-22-2010 05:30 PM
Last Post: Eric