Has anyone used an aftermarket coil like MSD blaster?
09-01-2010, 02:55 PM
Was wondering if a MSD Blaster 2 coil would help the running of my 4age at all as a mate has one and wants to get rid of it. Engine doesnt run more fuel than factory but with platinum spark plugs w/ larger gap, was thinking that increased spark voltage might help. Any reviews? thanks.

:.JDMitch:.
Find all posts by this user
09-01-2010, 05:56 PM
I really dont see the point of fitting an aftermarket ignition to a stock engine, but if it's cheap....Then again.. there is the old if it aint broken dont fixe it motto (which I have always disregarded at my repeated expense).

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-02-2010, 02:51 AM
haha yeah true ivan, thanks.

09-03-2010, 01:52 PM
Blaster 2 is just a replacement for the stock coil - wont do anything the factory coil dosnt - I have one on mine (fitted prior to me getting the car) and it does provide a stronger spark when compared to a healthy stock item, but ultimatley does nothing for performance.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Has anyone used an aftermar...D blaster?]

http://www.eight-six.co.uk - read the blog!

UK AE86 Forum - http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?m...ghtsixcouk
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-05-2010, 02:01 AM
thanks eight-six, i sorta figured as much, maybe cleaned up the combustion a little. cheers.

09-06-2010, 06:14 PM
"but with platinum spark plugs w/ larger gap"
FWIW, in the US the platinum tipped plugs were STOCK and there was nothing different about the gap spec for them. Except, Toyota apparently had multiple gap specs depending on the country the cars were being shipped into and probably emissions targets. They kept shipping new pre-gapped plugs set to the wrong gap, according to the US specs. No one seems to know why.

Platinum tipped plugs (we couldn't afford full platinum plugs) withstand heat and wear better, but otherwise they work exactly like copper plugs. And despite the factory instructions "do not adjust gap" you CAN adjust the gap without any bother. Same as copper.

Original owner, 1985 Toyota Corolla GT-S in the US of A. Will trade for a Cadillac-Gage V150 or a Ford GT44.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Smallport coil totta Crolla 2 1,321 08-12-2022 11:03 AM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  Exhaust has white smoke coming out and I dont know why... mister86 3 3,889 01-19-2020 12:06 AM
Last Post: Power_uP
  How to test coil with igniter DJexor 2 6,958 03-22-2018 10:01 AM
Last Post: Project D
  Aftermarket / Additional Foglights decryphe 6 8,192 07-08-2017 08:45 AM
Last Post: banpei
  Has anyone tried BC Racing coilovers? AlexKTM 9 11,013 09-05-2016 12:28 PM
Last Post: mad.matt