what do you use like suspensions ?
09-28-2006, 03:06 PM
Imho the koni, intrax etc things do nothing for your car. Springrates are still crappy, lowering is so little that you don't notice it, so why bother?

Need to add something though: Slamming into bumpstops is great if you want to lose grip..like beginner drifting.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
Find all posts by this user
09-28-2006, 03:14 PM
NoHachi,

I beg to differ, the difference between the stock height and the Intrax (i think they were) springs on Oldskulls car definately made a visual improvement, those 2cm may not seem like much, but it is noticable.

Also on my car the APEX springs did do it alot of good.

Agreed, for any sort of track use they are completely worthless, but for a dialy driver I do think they add something over a stock system. I do have to add to that remark that we're comparing between a warn out 20 year old stock spring and shock versus a brand new KONI shock and APEX spring setup. In that situation installing brand new stock shocks and springs would already have made a world of difference in handling and maybe even in looks.

So in the end, if your cars suspention is warn out, you're looking for something new, but you use your car for dialy driving, its a nice upgrade that may even be cheaper then buying stock replacements. We aren't all interested in track/drift carsBig Grin

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
09-29-2006, 12:50 AM
mux how did your car drive with the coilovers on the perch with the long stroke koni's and what was the adjustability like,i'm thinking of doing the same with some gab's i have but would i need rca's Confused

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - what do you use like suspensions ?]
09-29-2006, 08:27 AM
Monster,

Ok, adjustability is non-existable, I have them at their lowest setting at the moment and that is just about the highest height I'm willing to run at, now that I have my swift springs for the rear it's to heigh and I'm going to need to change.

You can keep long stroke though by removing the stock perch and welding on a new ring a little lower (or clamping, talk to jamie mirror about that) so you can put the coil over sleeve on that and have more room to adjust. This is alot less work then shortening the strut and saves you the cost of buying a short stroke shock but I would not recommend going this route unless if you've already got good long stroke shocks because at some point, you will run into the troubles nohachi mentioned.

For me, it's not an option with the rear swift springs, the lowering is such that I will run into the bump stops if I keep the long stroke setup. Same would be with TRD springs. Offcourse if you get springs made, or you'd fab some sort of spacers for the rear springs to decrease the lowering to something like 3 or 4cm, you have a good chance that you can rease the front enough that you can keep the long stroke setup without troubles.

NoHachi will probably slam me for this for not knowing what I'm talking about but I have not had any problems with my current setup and hitting the bumpstops as far as I've noticed, but currently my lowering is about 2 to 3 cm. With the swift springs I'm going to 6 or so cm.

As for RCA's, I've bought them a year or so ago and I really regret not putting them on yet, yesterday I went to the MOT and saw the result of lowering your car and not putting the RCAs on. 4mm of thread left on the inner side of the front tires, 1mm of thread left on the outer side. Camber the way you don't want which means grip loss in cornering, which means understeer. So yes, RCAs are a must even with just a few cm of lowering. I would even go asfar as to say that 4cm RCAs will be insufficient with 6cm of lowering...
Why I didn't put em on yet? Cause I don't have the right bolts yet and nobody seems to sell them except for one company and I need to buy a box of 100 bolts.. So still searching Big Grin

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

09-29-2006, 11:01 AM
Mux213 Wrote:Note that many US based guys use the LBS notation, there is a formula for going from kg/mm to LBS in the technical FAQ.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

1984 Toyota Corolla 4AGE 20v
2007 Subaru Impreza STi
09-29-2006, 11:17 AM
Cj,

Handy little table Thumbs up! Thumbs up! Thumbs up!

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

09-29-2006, 11:48 AM
cool thanks mux do u have any pics of the height u had (the ones in ur project thread arent working).... what do u guys think about these new spacers from t3 http://www.technotoytuning.com/productdetail.php?p=110 and a lil more info on club 4ag http://forums.club4ag.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=147196
and can spring thickness roughly determin spring rate Dumb question i got some springs for the rear of my other car that are just 1mm or less thiicker than the trd 4.3kg springs

09-29-2006, 11:59 AM
They can work but will change the "strut insert stem length" (bad english sorry). IMHO wrong decision.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-29-2006, 12:07 PM
Sorry but ive got to disagree with NoHachi. I use Konis and always have, Bilsteins are to hard for the road, and Konis are the perfect blend of driveability and performance on the track. I track the car a lot and ive never had a prob with them. So to say they do nothing i cant disagree more. ive had other makes in various cars and in this one but Konis are def the best so far. You do need other things, like strut brace to make the car perform better but the Konis are excellent in my view.

Its gotta go whoosh or give a whine!!!!
09-29-2006, 12:13 PM
well so far no one seems to have a pic with them installed,i would like to see them compared to a the agx in a cut strut casing Undecided

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which threadsize to use for the vdo oil temp sensor? ditn 8 10,398 03-15-2012 01:56 AM
Last Post: Project D
  why do you use "roll center ajuster"? leckter 15 16,979 02-07-2012 07:04 PM
Last Post: Bean
  What's the LSD oil I should use? heshan 5 5,880 07-25-2011 08:13 PM
Last Post: heshan
  Has anyone used an aftermarket coil like MSD blaster? JDMitch 6 8,219 09-06-2010 06:14 PM
Last Post: Red
  Use LocTite on Bolts ????? juantonwan 2 3,573 05-22-2010 05:30 PM
Last Post: Eric