How to bleed brake system after master brake replacement
09-18-2005, 02:53 PM
Need some advice here folks...
I replaced my old rebuilt master brake cilinder with one of my new ones, but dont know what the best way of bleeding the system is after the new brake cilinder is installed. I bench-bled the master brake cilinder with some of the tubing and nipples that came with it, but how do I best get rid of the air in the brakelines around the master cilinder? In the past I've tried bleeding at the top of the brake proportioning block (under the master cilinder) and at the brakeline fittings on top of the master cilinder.
I couldnt get it quite right back then. I'm afraid that If I only try to bleed at all 4 four wheels that I wont get the air out, and will loose another pint of brake fluid in the process.

In short: how do I bleed my brake system after replacing the master cilinder?

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-18-2005, 04:26 PM
Ivan,

I'm splitting this topic to the Q&A section because the answer to this question is a nice on to keep for a longer time!

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
Find all posts by this user
09-18-2005, 05:26 PM
When i changed the master brake cylinder on my Bimmer i just bleeded all the brakes like usuall.
Be carefull not to press the brake pedal all the way tho, might kill the cylinder due to the air that's in there. And yes, have lots and lots of spare brake fluid, you'll need it to bleed them all.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - How to bleed brake system a...eplacement]
09-18-2005, 05:35 PM
mmmkay...Just started bleeding all four calipers, starting on the rear axle, working my way forward. The pedal is a lot harder now, but with the booster assisting the pedal when the engine is running I notice that it still makes the first centimeter of the pedal stroke soft. When driving I get better response from the brakes, but it's weird that when I press it fast, the first bit stays mushy, and when I press it slow they feel a lot firmer.
Maybe there is still some hard to get to bit of air somewhere or I need to install my new discs and pads (current ones are worn down by 50-60%), but I'm not completely satisfied until my brakepedal feels hard on the first bit of the pedal stroke with the engine running.
This is about as good (or better) as I have ever felt the brakes on my car so I'm not dissapointed, but I have felt the brakes in robokills car, and know how they should feel in good order.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
09-18-2005, 05:52 PM
Maybe you need to get yourself a set of steel braded brakelines? they harden up the pedal a bit.

09-18-2005, 06:44 PM
I have a half complete set of braided brake lines on my car...have had them for 2 years already. Only problem is that I only have 4 lines, while there are 7 in total. I still need the one going from the chassis to the axle (lennert has one left for me I believe), and 2 short ones for the front. For the money I am considering buying a set on ebay with single long lines for the front...much tidier and no more expensive than getting extra lines made by Goodridge.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
09-18-2005, 06:53 PM
Sounds great! Smile

How much are a full set?

09-18-2005, 07:26 PM
Plz note - the Hachi has just a single brake line to the rear axle with a divider located on the front of the axle.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

I´m sorry sir, your planet has been sceduled for destruction
in favor of an intergalactic highway -Thank you

Kristian Hesselmark, Sweden
EVO-DRIFT-STREET-DRAG-SHOW
09-18-2005, 07:28 PM
Widar Wrote:Sounds great! Smile

How much are a full set?

let me know man & I´ll get you them from the local "mc-skroten" !

@ 100 kr each

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

I´m sorry sir, your planet has been sceduled for destruction
in favor of an intergalactic highway -Thank you

Kristian Hesselmark, Sweden
EVO-DRIFT-STREET-DRAG-SHOW
09-18-2005, 08:16 PM
Kristian, sounds great! How many of them are needed?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PWR light issue and no brake fluid after winter storage magpie 10 1,434 05-25-2023 08:09 AM
Last Post: Bean
  20 Valve Blacktop smoking after engine flush - why? RolanTHUNDER 2 818 11-30-2022 12:09 PM
Last Post: RolanTHUNDER
  Sub panel and rotary-button replacement for Levin -> Trueno conversion gh0st 9 4,151 11-05-2021 08:17 PM
Last Post: gh0st
  Play between steering column and intermediate shaft after manual rack sonversion DaLanZhu 5 5,705 07-31-2019 11:28 AM
Last Post: mad.matt
  Brake advice - master cylinder mannix20vt 12 12,557 08-21-2017 03:21 PM
Last Post: Project D