cams cams cams
10-24-2013, 01:17 PM
cams cams cams
What cams did you go for in the end?
Find all posts by this user
10-24-2013, 03:41 PM
cams cams cams
There the Catcams with 260 inlet and 252 exhaust with Blox pulleys. Sounds like a 4AGE should now Thumbs up!

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - cams cams cams]
10-24-2013, 03:44 PM
cams cams cams
Alex170984 Wrote:What cams did you go for in the end?

http://catcams.co.uk/acatalog/7105137.pdf think they are the same as yours.

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-24-2013, 04:47 PM
cams cams cams
I'd be interested hear what yours sounds like.

I haven't been able to test my engine properly due to my rear wheel bearings need replacing and running my rebuilt engine in.
10-24-2013, 05:45 PM
cams cams cams
i've got a vid if it idling but not driving, but I'm sure after a little tuneup tomorrow I'll have a quick vid to upload Smile

10-24-2013, 10:46 PM
cams cams cams
PLEASE tell me you intend to set them correctly...

if so... make sure you KNOW TDC EXACTLY.... (pet peeve) and NO the dot on the oil pump and the little groove is not likely to be EXACTLY TDC.....

You will need to remove the crankshaft pulley mounting bolt, remove all the spark plugs, remove the upper and middle timing covers. Install crank bolt through the timing wheel, torque the bolt to about 35#s - tight enough so you can rotate the engine in both directions. Take a stiff piece of wire and make it into a pointer... you can see in the pic we used one of the oil pump mounting bolts to temporarily mount the stiff wire.

my timing wheel is mounted on a piece of 20 gauge steel...

At this point you should be able to turn the engine either way without the wheel coming free. Rotate the engine till you have 2 timing teeth away from TDC - what you think is TDC. Thread in the piston stop into #1 spark plug hole

Thread the piston stop center down until it stops. Rotate the engine counter clockwise 3 or 4 teeth, stop, now GRADUALLY rotate the engine clockwise. The engine should stop at or about the place where you began from. Mark that point on the timing wheel. (I like using a pencil) Rotate the engine counterclockwise GRADUALLY until it stops. Mark that point on the timing wheel. count the number between marks, divide that by 2 and THAT is TDC......

Before you ask... to find TDC... the timing wheel doesn't have to be set @ TDC. You are just rotating it to stop one way, marking it, and then the other, marking it. And then you count the hash marks between the 2 marks you placed, divide by 2.

Once you have TDC set.... then to properly set the timing wheel you can adjust it....

I... no longer do that... once I know TDC... I then mark 180 degrees opposite as BDC and then just use the hash marks to count either before... or after to check cam timing.

Once TDC is known... I remove the piston stop, and from this point on you ONLY rotate the engine clockwise... DO NOT, while checking/setting cam timing, rotate the engine counterclockwise.

Oh... to properly set cam timing... you'll need this tool \/ and both intake and exhaust timing sheets

Dan -

You can |Sad .... OR you can ask for help!!!

OST Porting service - http://hachiroku.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19991
10-26-2013, 10:10 AM
cams cams cams
hi,

thanks for the info luckily the timing was set when the engine head was removed and reinstalled. but i might check again to make sure its still says TDC is where is should be.
unfortunately the pics didn't load for me. what tool was it that you mentioned at the end?

Just to let you guys know unfortunately my injector plugs blew out. The person who converted the engine to carb thought that some sealant and 4 5p coins would be good enough (obviously it wasn't). So i need to take the head off and tap a thread to properly fit a bolt with a fibre washer.
So it might be a few weeks until i can get any vids up Sad

*edit
oh chromebook updated so now can see pics. yup got on of those Thumbs up!

10-26-2013, 10:31 AM
cams cams cams
megabob Wrote:hi,

thanks for the info luckily the timing was set when the engine head was removed and reinstalled. but i might check again to make sure its still says TDC is where is should be.
unfortunately the pics didn't load for me. what tool was it that you mentioned at the end?

Just to let you guys know unfortunately my injector plugs blew out. The person who converted the engine to carb thought that some sealant and 4 5p coins would be good enough (obviously it wasn't). So i need to take the head off and tap a thread to properly fit a bolt with a fibre washer.
So it might be a few weeks until i can get any vids up Sad

*edit
oh chromebook updated so now can see pics. yup got on of those Thumbs up!

No need to thrread anything... there shouldn't be much pressure there.
have a look here.

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-27-2013, 08:45 AM
cams cams cams
oldeskewltoy Wrote:PLEASE tell me you intend to set them correctly...

if so... make sure you KNOW TDC EXACTLY.... (pet peeve) and NO the dot on the oil pump and the little groove is not likely to be EXACTLY TDC.....

You will need to remove the crankshaft pulley mounting bolt, remove all the spark plugs, remove the upper and middle timing covers. Install crank bolt through the timing wheel, torque the bolt to about 35#s - tight enough so you can rotate the engine in both directions. Take a stiff piece of wire and make it into a pointer... you can see in the pic we used one of the oil pump mounting bolts to temporarily mount the stiff wire.

my timing wheel is mounted on a piece of 20 gauge steel...

At this point you should be able to turn the engine either way without the wheel coming free. Rotate the engine till you have 2 timing teeth away from TDC - what you think is TDC. Thread in the piston stop into #1 spark plug hole

Thread the piston stop center down until it stops. Rotate the engine counter clockwise 3 or 4 teeth, stop, now GRADUALLY rotate the engine clockwise. The engine should stop at or about the place where you began from. Mark that point on the timing wheel. (I like using a pencil) Rotate the engine counterclockwise GRADUALLY until it stops. Mark that point on the timing wheel. count the number between marks, divide that by 2 and THAT is TDC......

Before you ask... to find TDC... the timing wheel doesn't have to be set @ TDC. You are just rotating it to stop one way, marking it, and then the other, marking it. And then you count the hash marks between the 2 marks you placed, divide by 2.

Once you have TDC set.... then to properly set the timing wheel you can adjust it....

I... no longer do that... once I know TDC... I then mark 180 degrees opposite as BDC and then just use the hash marks to count either before... or after to check cam timing.

Once TDC is known... I remove the piston stop, and from this point on you ONLY rotate the engine clockwise... DO NOT, while checking/setting cam timing, rotate the engine counterclockwise.

Oh... to properly set cam timing... you'll need this tool \/ and both intake and exhaust timing sheets

thank you for your knowledge Dan!

4age 16v to FR 20VT
12-31-2013, 01:19 AM
cams cams cams
excellent info