Surreptitious.....
06-16-2012, 10:50 PM
Surreptitious.....
It's waaaaaay beyond time for this...........

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Surreptitious.....]

MORE TO COME!!! :eek: and SOOON :wink:

Dan -

You can |Sad .... OR you can ask for help!!!

OST Porting service - http://hachiroku.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19991
Find all posts by this user
06-17-2012, 03:02 PM
Surreptitious.....
Thumbs up!
beast
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-17-2012, 08:03 PM
Surreptitious.....
The transmission is removed, the carpeting is removed.

The floor before

The floor after...

I purposely left a small amount of material along the top so the bent edge would retain some of its original structure.

A better view of the modification from inside....

What can't be seen in the 2 panel above is the floor from below.

The floor from below shows 2 stages of work. The first stage shows the lengthening of the transmission tunnel, the low view shows clearancing for the protruding shift rod. Look above @ the end view of the 2 transmissions... note the rod poking out of the rubber booty on the transmission on the right?? That is the shift rod... ***

The radius-ed view shows an OEM structural shape in the floor that will act as a natural pocket for the shift extension to operate in. The top view shows without this pocket there might be clearance issues for the shift rod.

Now for a few measurements... and why that radius is important. First, the most important thing I'm trying to NOT modify... is the interior crossmember. I DO NOT want to remove structure.... these cars are flimsy enough. I don't mind taking a bit of material... as long as I can add a few welds and make is sound.

THE CRUCIAL measurement... That is the distance from the metal plate @ the back of the engine to my now elongated shifter opening - 31 9/16"

The length of the shifter support bucket in the LEEN J160 in OST configuration......... 31 1/4"

Now.... if you "see" spacially... you can see that the shift rod moves in relation to the bucket

The shift rods length... depending on gear.... 1,3, 5

and in 2, 4, 6...

The plan is for the shift rod to operate in the radiused floor.....

For those who "see"....

MUCH more to come........

Dan -

06-19-2012, 01:20 AM
Surreptitious.....
Sooo.... length (body opening and shifter cup) appears to be pretty good, the opening should allow the shifter cup to clear the cross member. So now that the car is prepared to accept the new transmission, we need to see what the transmission needs to fit the car.........

a quick 2 panel show the current mounts for the 2 transmissions. There are a few obvious issues to overcome....

1) the J160 mount is about 3 11/16" further back then the mount on the T50 (AE71 T50 mount)

and 2) the J160 mount hangs down significantly more (almost 2" lower overall), and 3) The T50 mount is NOT spaced evenly from side to side, while the J160 is evenly spaced.

Because of the amount of drop, AND the uneven side to side spacing the original cross member was discarded... to begin the brainstorming once again.......

If you stare long enough... the J160 mount begins to "tell" you the mount it "wants" (Thanks to Miura (Jeff) he saw it first)

So now that the mount has designed its own shape... we let the car design the rest of the shape... now the problem we have is the J160 mount is too far back to fit any of the area Toyota designed to support transmissions in the AE71....

You can see the T50 cross member fits the 13" span by how clean it is.. also if you look carefully I've drawn a small area inside the trans hole that represents the location of the J160 mount in relation to the floor

So the mount needs to sweep, or "wing" forward.....

Yes... that is corrugated paper for now, the mount itself is being built in 1/8" plate... I should have it for test fitment on Wednesday. Once the crossmember has been sized, gusset supports will be added to reinforce the plate.

More to come Big Grin

Dan -

06-19-2012, 10:39 AM
Surreptitious.....
Nice work, Dan! I am doing the same swap and I hope to reach this stage within a month Smile

Did you and Jesse get the speedo drive working ok?

Sarcasme is just one of the things I offer Wink

Daily driver: '92 Toyota Carina E GTI
Rebuilt project: '86 Levin hatch
06-19-2012, 05:58 PM
Surreptitious.....
Jan Pedersen Wrote:Nice work, Dan! I am doing the same swap and I hope to reach this stage within a month Smile
SWEEET... Are you using the LEEN mount? If not... Once my mount is built, we plan on seeing if it fits Jesse's floor too(I have E7, you both of E86) if it fits you are more than welcome to my specs to build it yourself....

Jan Pedersen Wrote:Did you and Jesse get the speedo drive working ok?

Since neither of us has the car operating yet... we can only theorize, but the mix of W58 bits and the J160 bits seem to work....

did you see the mod as we made it? I've got it posted somewhere.

In my case I swapped the J160 driven gear onto the W58 shaft and it all seems to fit. The J160 final drive is 3.9, which will likely* be my final drive once I get the rear diff swapped. The W5x uses 2 different sized drive/driven gears and you need to get the mix correct or you ruin both

* - I am intrigued about how the J160 "acts" with my current final drive(3.58 ) The J160's 1st gear of 3.8 might make me re-think using the 3.91 Huh

Dan -

06-19-2012, 08:22 PM
Surreptitious.....
oldeskewltoy Wrote:
Jan Pedersen Wrote:Nice work, Dan! I am doing the same swap and I hope to reach this stage within a month Smile
SWEEET... Are you using the LEEN mount? If not... Once my mount is built, we plan on seeing if it fits Jesse's floor too(I have E7, you both of E86) if it fits you are more than welcome to my specs to build it yourself....

My friend Martin already got his AE86/7AGE/RS200 AZ6 up and running with a costum mount so we have a pretty good idea on this. But if you guys finish first I'll take a good look. I'll post up as well Smile

oldeskewltoy Wrote:
Jan Pedersen Wrote:Did you and Jesse get the speedo drive working ok?

Since neither of us has the car operating yet... we can only theorize, but the mix of W58 bits and the J160 bits seem to work....

did you see the mod as we made it? I've got it posted somewhere.

In my case I swapped the J160 driven gear onto the W58 shaft and it all seems to fit. The J160 final drive is 3.9, which will likely* be my final drive once I get the rear diff swapped. The W5x uses 2 different sized drive/driven gears and you need to get the mix correct or you ruin both

* - I am intrigued about how the J160 "acts" with my current final drive(3.58 ) The J160's 1st gear of 3.8 might make me re-think using the 3.91 Huh
Oh I see - I thought you guys had finish this allready... But yeah I saw your worm gear post. I guess we'll know soon enough Smile

And I would go for the 3,9 final for sure Wink

Sarcasme is just one of the things I offer Wink

Daily driver: '92 Toyota Carina E GTI
Rebuilt project: '86 Levin hatch
06-20-2012, 10:35 PM
Surreptitious.....
I get a call last night(tuesday) David tells me he didn't have any 1/8"(11 gauge), he did have 1/4" plate :eek: and he went on to say he had "built" the first prototype using said 1/4" plate.........

:thumbsdown:

That is a wee bit more than I needed(MASSIVE), and he also got the dimensions off a bit. Sooo... today we went out to his welding supply company and bought a 12 gauge piece of steel so that he can properly build it. We discussed the dimensions and I expect the 2nd attempt to be far better.

Dan -

06-21-2012, 07:51 AM
Surreptitious.....
I assume you already ruled that out but just in case, the ruber mount off the T50 doesn't fit the AZ6?

AE86 ex-daily
06-21-2012, 05:04 PM
Surreptitious.....
Bean Bandit Wrote:I assume you already ruled that out but just in case, the ruber mount off the T50 doesn't fit the AZ6?

completely different mount. The J160 uses a mount very similar to the W5x mount.

Now I just need some help in fitting it all... once fitted, I can place the holes in the plate for proper positioning.... and its DONE! :eek: :eek:

Dan -