Play between steering column and intermediate shaft after manual rack sonversion
07-21-2019, 11:57 PM
Play between steering column and intermediate shaft after manual rack sonversion
Hi everyone!

My AE86 steering has a lot of play and feels terrible when steering, almost similar to modern cars.

I had a look underneath and saw that the previous owner had converted to a manual steering rack. The rack itself and the outer joints look brand new and perfect, but the intermediate staft sits very loosely in the steering column.
I can even feel it shaking when I gently push it up and down.

I assume the previous owner, in the process of converting to manual steering, had replaced the intermediate shaft, but forgot to add the rubber-like material which is used to glue it inside the steering rack.

Any ideas where I could get similar material, or how it is supposed to look like? I assume it should be slightly flexible to not make the steering super-direct, but not too soft so that you still get some feedback. Of course, must be durable as well.

What material did you guys use?

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
07-22-2019, 08:40 AM
I suspect you are talking about the bushings holding the steering rack in (no idea what intermediate shaft you mean).
If the car is converted from a power to a manual steering rack then one mount will be way to big and need a special bushing to
fill the gap. Techno Toy Tuning sells these.
Put up some pictures if you can, it might help us see the problem sooner.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-22-2019, 06:46 PM
No mate, I'm talking about the shaft which connects the steering colum to the unoversal shaft. When you convert from power to manual steering, the steering columnn for thr power steering variant is too short, hence you need the replace the bottom part of the steering shaft
I thought that part is called intermediate shaft.
07-22-2019, 06:52 PM
Helping to repair a fault is much more difficult without being there to physically inspect and handle the components, so as Ivan pointed out its probably best to upload a photo if possible.
07-23-2019, 06:36 PM
^^He’s talking about the shaft that sits in the steeringcolumn and connects to the steering joint. When you go from powersteering to manual rack you get the shaft out and replace it with a mk3 supra one. Can’t remember where i saw it but some guy used the same glue they use for car windshield installs. It gets hard but still has some flex in it.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

ハチロク

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Play between steering colum...sonversion]
07-31-2019, 11:28 AM
Yeaaaaahhhhh....erm, I welded that shaft to the steering shaft hahahah.
So direct steering is in order Tongue

I would suggest, like the other guys, a good smeer of tigerseal or something similar Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Click in steering column? DJexor 2 596 07-17-2023 08:26 PM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  PWR light issue and no brake fluid after winter storage magpie 10 1,407 05-25-2023 08:09 AM
Last Post: Bean
  20 Valve Blacktop smoking after engine flush - why? RolanTHUNDER 2 794 11-30-2022 12:09 PM
Last Post: RolanTHUNDER
  Wanted: 3-rib engine repair manual Ivan141 6 1,740 09-09-2022 07:46 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  How to replace the steering column UJ? Mylesmck 4 1,436 05-14-2022 07:40 PM
Last Post: Ivan141