Building a 4AGE Turbo for the first time
06-05-2006, 09:08 AM
Ok, I recently got my first really good running Corolla SR5, its a wonderful daily driver. I found a GT-S (85) coupe 3 hours away for 1500. I was thinking about buying it and making it into a turbo project. It's high milage so it will need a rebuild automaticly. How fast can a Corolla be made with a built 4AGE turbo. Whats the best bang for the buck when it comes to parts. I dont want 1,000 rods or anything beautiful, just a tuff drag racer. Whats the best turbo? I want to be able to run 12.5 in the quarter mile.
Find all posts by this user
06-05-2006, 09:16 AM
12.5 ? Yes, it is possible at cost of tranny destruction.
A little math - tranny will survive at ~200whp, you will need at least 250whp for 12.5 quarter without serious weight reduction.
About turbo - I think that most Garrett T3 models are perfect match.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-05-2006, 10:08 AM
I was thinking a 45 trim T3, using a Super charged MR2 block and rebuilding it with new pistons (.40 over) and bearings, fully internally balancing it and blue printing. I was shooting for 250whp+ but it wont be easy, GM maf, M/S stand alone, EDIS ignition setup for reliability. I'm thinking the super charged mr2 engine is built stronger than the stock 4age? Which is the best for a rebuild that can be easily found in the USA? The only weight reduction will be no power steering. I will keep the a/c. I'm thinking I will need 15PSI, maybe more for that kinda power... anyone on here have any experience in this area? Are the automatic transmissions stronger (I would prefer an automatic for boosting at launch)? How can I make my tranny handle the power?
06-05-2006, 10:19 AM
I'm still debating on all of this.... because I rather have a ae86 drag car vs a honda. But my 1986 CRX Si is a very capible car. My friend has over 200,000 miles on his 100% stock bottom end. He runs 9PSI of boost with the mega squirt program and slicks it runs a 13.2 consistantly (20-25 passes). He drives it to work every day as well getting 30+mpg on street tires. He dynoed in at 190whp but his car weighs 1964lbs w/ him in it. The problem with the CRX is FWD. Everyone has told me to use a supra motor but I would have bought a supra if I wanted one.

I have a friend that does custom metal work and said can make me a complete intake manifold that matches oem tb or can make one to match a larger TB, does anyone make custom intake manifolds for the 4AG because he wants like 300 bucks for a custom one...
06-05-2006, 10:26 AM
But Wraith, AE86 is not drag race car "by it's nature". Use it for drifting and then even stock 124hp can be pleasure :-)
About intake manifolds - I make some but they are different type - focused on sidedraught carburators use.
06-05-2006, 10:28 AM
Why are you worrying so much... look around at what has been done before, one of our danish guys had a turboed 4age running at around 400hp... Forgot who it was exactly since the car has since been sold on. You can reach 250+hp using a turbo on a GZE engine without much trouble I would expect. You could even turbo a stock 4age, the higher compression has it's advantantages on off-boost behaviour, and helps spool the turbo quicker. But that would require some measures to prevent detonation.
For simplicity I would think a GZE + modern T3 + some way to tune fuel mixture would be the way to go.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
06-05-2006, 10:35 AM
DOn't forget intercooling..and a lot of it...250hp from a 1.6 is way past the simple point..T3 is a Big turbo with high cfm efficiency range so not too much heat, but also pretty old, so very slow to boost and no ball bearings, watercooling etc..I think the tranny will be your biggest problem too...and, if you want too launch that thing...start looking for a supra axle too.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
06-05-2006, 10:42 AM
GZE is the MR2 S/C motor correct? If it can handle 250-300whp I may just have it rebalanced with new rings and bearings (cheaper). The T3 is the way to go I'm seeing. Is it possible to tune the fuel mixture without a stand alone ecu? The full set up on Mega squir costs 330 for the base confiq. The FMIC kit is from a fellow AE86 owner locally that will give me 2.5'' piping(W/greddy bov) and a decent size intercooler for 300 cash.

Yes the AE86 is a drivers car by nature. But I want a little beastie Corolla, and the AE86 body style is my favorite (Plus EFI equipt).

Oh and I am looking into a small T3 "Civic" turbo. Its a 45 Trim that reaches full potential at 400HP.
06-05-2006, 10:51 AM
AH a Supra rearend. Genius. Will that work in a AE86 without serious modification? I've read alot about the "Famous" T50 transmission. Is this the oem GT-S tranny?

Please forgive me, I am still learning alot and I am new to almost everything dealing with turbo's. I am just trying to get an idea of whats needed, I will be slowly buying all the parts to build the car up. But the cheaper I can build it the faster it will be on the street, although... I want the engine to hold up for a while, I understand the transmission problems.
06-05-2006, 12:29 PM
T50 is the stock transmission... it shifts quite nicely and smoothly when in good condition but is not very beefy and will usually break on high powered engines. For ridiculous power the W51 gearbox is the way to go I think. Clunky gearbox but very strong, you'll find it in mk3 supra's I think.. (the late eighties model with 7MGE inline 6). One of the older (mk1?) supra rear axles has a 7 or 7.5 inch ring and pinion, which will also stand more abuse than stock ae86 stuff.

You can tune fuel mixture in a lot of ways.. I dont know how much hp the GZE ecu will sustain, but anything higher than that and you'll need to change the mechanical bit of the injection (fuel pressure regulator/injectors) or manipulate the electrical side of things (piggyback to alter signals like the SAFC, or megasquirt for full control). Personally I'd spend the extra bucks and get megasquirt + wideband and make damn sure that the engine is running how you want it to.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  whats the crack with 16v turbo? kazi 5 5,641 08-02-2017 12:15 AM
Last Post: kazi
  Bluetop on turbo leon205gti 7 7,352 09-20-2016 09:17 PM
Last Post: leon205gti
  can i just slam a oem turbo on it ? MC_JP 3 5,658 12-17-2014 11:04 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  4age stock bigport on turbo leon205gti 8 15,675 01-17-2014 01:02 PM
Last Post: leon205gti
  axle swap time how capable is a std crownwheel and pinion fax0815 32 43,557 09-26-2013 08:33 PM
Last Post: Lajoosh