7age real life experiences needed.
10-12-2005, 11:02 PM
I read all the topics on how to do the build, and how much power can be gained from this hybrid. But I never heard anyone talking about how it actually runs.
A friend of mine told me to reconsider this hybrid due to the fact that it will ruin all the classic pros of the 4age, such as throttle response, rev happiness and max RPM.
All the theory tells me that this will never feel like a 4age again, but what about real life experiences.
Would a 20v ITB setup on a 7AGE make it feel like the 4AGE, only with more punch?

I´m especially hoping that our good member H7RO will respond Smile

My evil Red/Black Panda
http://www.bilgalleri.dk/html/gal_visbil.asp?ID=12832
My current JDM AE86 project
http://www.bilgalleri.dk/html/gal_visbil.asp?ID=31609
Find all posts by this user
10-12-2005, 11:40 PM
Sorry, dont have any rl experience; from what ive read people were very happy about the conversion. some even wrote about beeing more similar to supercharged versions. ofcourse the bottom end is not so happy about hi revs due to much lower R/S ratio.. i read it is pointles to go above 6000 rpm. of course it depends greatly on whats done w/ the head. w/ a hi-profile cam im sure you can get more hi-end torque(power) but i feel it wouldnt last (rods, pistons).

please dont flame me because i only read that, and thought you might want to know that.
10-13-2005, 12:00 AM
no worries mate, from every respond i learn something new, and all info is much appreciated.

My evil Red/Black Panda
http://www.bilgalleri.dk/html/gal_visbil.asp?ID=12832
My current JDM AE86 project
http://www.bilgalleri.dk/html/gal_visbil.asp?ID=31609
10-13-2005, 12:08 AM
okey good =)

i see this conversion same as B20a conversion from hondas. same problems appear due to lower r/s ratio (cr-v block), sleeving is neccesary or it gets bent/broken.. since hachi doesnt have sleeves, block is fine i think. but pistons, pin and rods might be a problem if reving higher..

okay imma cut it out now =)
10-13-2005, 10:20 AM
H7ERO wrote a topic about his own conversion, perhaps sending him a pm will clear things up. Wink

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - 7age real life experiences needed.]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-13-2005, 12:08 PM
7hero ist the best person to clear all questions, but the difference in stroke 77 to 85 is big and the piston speed will raise, max rpm can sink from 7700 to 6500 with stock bottom. the increased displacement make more torgue in low and mid rpms. another problem ist you need bigger injectors and probably the ecu.
power gain with stock head and bottom end around 140ps
for this conversion ist better to make hp from high compression also new pistons are good idea.

20v itb can not change the characteristic of this hybrid and i think is not a good idea.

you can make a collector with welded trumpets and big bore trothle body 60mm above.

http://www.86ers.org
All the hachies that Daytona can only dream about.
10-13-2005, 12:49 PM
Send a PM to Irishtwincam, I was talking to him the other day about bolting a supercharger to a 7a block with a hi-torque head, he has done a fair bit of research into it. Might take him a few days to get back to you as he is very busy @ work

An 86 is for Life, not just for Christmas
10-13-2005, 01:23 PM
7AGZE smallport....not a bad idea actually...it's the rpm's that are most likely to kill it, so the best best would be to make more hp in the lower rpm regions.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-13-2005, 06:00 PM
i think it would be a shame to put taht in the car anyways, no matter how good it is. with 4ag's power and torque curve, the car (hachiroku) makes you really step on it while cornering.. the engine so has alot of "grip" (note the "") =) as soon as you put something torquey under the bonnet the main charachteristic of the car changes from "s2000-style" to "s15-style"..

i think so. its not nececssary that it is the ultimate truth. Smile
10-25-2005, 12:41 AM
hi there Big Grin

my 7age revs as easily and is as responsive as my 4age was except
there is a less noticable switch when the TVIS opens as the car is apreaddy pulling very strong by then so the change is less apparent

the low down push is very satifying especially when the car is stripped out and it pulls very strong in 3rd and 4th gear when the 4AGE runs out of breath

it also makes mundane town driving much easier and returns better fuel economy than a 4age

the engine is excelent for drifting as it allows you to recover drifts from low angles and keep the wheels spinning at higher speeds

after a whole season of drifting my engine is still very strong but has lost some of the pace it had when it was fresh, however my engine is abused constantly for drift on track and street, and i always use bad quality oil from the supermarket (i cant say no to a bargain)

my conclusion is that a 7AGE is ideal for fast road use and will last a long time for regular drift and track (at least once a week) be prepared for rebuild each year but you can always change pistons when you rebuild for much better power

it good cheap upgrade if you want real power just get a GZE that is the best option in my opinion Thumbs up!

any more questions just ask i am happy to help Hurray!

Run Free and take a Goodline

V8FOURCAM32 MK3 Supra
Patchwork AE86 from 4AGE to 7AGE to 4AGZE and now 4AGEU20v
suzuki cappuccino
mondeo TD

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  timingbelt 7age 20V!! slowboy2 3 6,322 06-21-2016 09:41 AM
Last Post: ditn
  7AGE to W58, cluth type? slowboy2 3 5,115 05-25-2013 01:37 PM
Last Post: slowboy2