$300, 193,000 miles, and spraypaint.
01-26-2007, 10:03 AM
Wolf,

Well you mentioned you had an 83 GSL, so either you got one of the first 13Bs or it is an SA with 12A, but I can't remember if the SA came in GSL-SE trim, I though that was for 13Bs only.. It should be written on the rotor housing somewhere anyways.

As for people dissing your car right now, you'll show em once you've fixed her up Big Grin
I probably got alot of looks from people when I drove around with my car half in primer paint Big Grin

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
Find all posts by this user
01-26-2007, 06:15 PM
Wolf, just try to spray paint. It might look better in the end than it is now.

and it won't be that expensive :wink:

Pedro Velado
GT-S Owner

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - $300, 193,000 miles, and spraypaint.]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-06-2007, 08:53 AM
I was thinking about that but I like the gray more than the white, but I'f I sprayed it gray it would take much more paint :S I'll probably just finnish off the ugly door white and get it painted a darker color later.

I've been out of work/school/working on car for about a week now because I had my wisdom teeth out, but now I just might be able to start working on the car again. I have a few questions about stuff I've been hearing/feeling form the car.

Sometimes the clutch pedal squeaks or pops, but it's not from the transmission, just the pedal. Is that a problem other than being annoying? I can still drive it fine. Also, how high up should the friction point be on the clutch pedal? It seems like my clutch maybe worn because the friction point is almost right at the top.

Also, if I start the car cold, it usually doesn't stay on very long the first time if it's been sitting all night. The second time I keep it from stalling out for few seconds and then it starts idling VERY rough around 500rpm, sort of bouncing. It like the eingine is hopping and not always running, like it's shutting off and coming back on, it's very quiet at this time too. Also, sometimes before it's really warmed up - and sometimes after - it doesn't like to listen to the gas pedal. When I try to acccelerate it starts to rev, you can hear it, but it smooths out and slows down.

Sometimes it really doesn't want to go into reverse. And I mean REALLLY. With the clutch all the way in, I move it over into reverse - GRIND. I try again more gently, but pushing down more (but not back qs fast/hard) - GRIND. Okay, so I put it in neutral and let off the clutch, then push the clutch in and try it again like normal. Sometimes it goes in fine, sometimes not. Then other times I can hardly tell It's in reverse at all, even though it is. Is my tranny dying, or just old, or am I doing something wrong?

Then there are the less important things: What would be a good way to keep the hatch quiet? It likes to rattle. It also leaks inexplicably - there are no holes in the weather stripping, no rust holes I see, but water gets in my hatch.

The driver side door and the front 1/4 panel don't seem to match, the 1/4 panel is missing alot of bolts, so I figured I'd put them back in. Mistake. I couldn't open the door. I can't figure out why because this panel seems to have simply been removed to spray it white then put back on - I don't think it's off another car. WTH?

Also, I need replacement windshield wipers badly. Luckily, I found some the previous owner obviously bought intending to put on. But they don't seem to match. The ones on the hachi are attached by a longer curved metal peice than the ones I have. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow so I can explain this one better. (yes, I'm having trouble replacing the wipers haha)

Well, that's all the questions I have for now.
02-07-2007, 05:50 AM
These are the wiper blades - I can't figure out how they are supposed to be compatible with the hachi (they probably aren't):

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

02-07-2007, 10:41 AM
Hey Wolf,

Your problems mostly sound clutch related, like it's not fully disengaging or something. Except maybe the idle, that may be just some badly set or dirty parts. Not to formiliar with the SR5 but since its a carbed engine it might be worth remove the airfilter housing so you can access the carberator and maybe cleaning it with carberator cleaner? But again, I aint no expert with carbsSmile

Clutch sounds bad atleast, like its not properly gripping when you change gears, and not fully declutching when you try to go to reverse. Again not completely sure how the clutch is controlled on the SR5 but with the GTS a first step could be to get some clean clutch flued and see if its just the paddle not working correctly. Else you may just need a new clutch.

As for the wiperblades, yup, we got some freaky special things. The passenger side wiper usually can be replaced by universal blade, but the driver side wiper is different. What I did is drill out the axle connecting the wiper blad to the wiper arm and put a bolt in there so I could mount a universal blade. I'll snap some pictures later on.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

02-07-2007, 08:08 PM
Mux213 Wrote:Not to formiliar with the SR5 but since its a carbed engine it might be worth remove the airfilter housing

The first thing I would do is just check the airfilter itself ;-) Dirty filter might be all there is to bad idling and stalling when cold.
02-07-2007, 08:17 PM
EE80Liftback Wrote:
Mux213 Wrote:Not to formiliar with the SR5 but since its a carbed engine it might be worth remove the airfilter housing

The first thing I would do is just check the airfilter itself ;-) Dirty filter might be all there is to bad idling and stalling when cold.

Well I was somewhat assuming a full service was done on the car. If not, replacing oil, oilfilter, airfilter, possibly fuel filter and if you're really into it, all other fluids like brake fluid, coolent and gearbox oil would be definitely smart when you buy an old car with unknown history.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

02-07-2007, 09:05 PM
I always replace the rubber on the wipers...you can get it from toyota.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-08-2007, 04:25 AM
When i needed to replace my wipers i just got some bosch refills and jammed them in, they would definatly have stayed in but i sealed the deal with tiny spots of hot glue (Easy to peel of again)

I would be keen to see those pics Mux, the above was working fine until my mate squashed the wiper Undecided

@ TKD-Wolf: You definatly picked a project huh! My suggestions would be to save money in 3 pools:

1. Daily spending money - Proabably 5-10% of you income

2. Upgrade Money - an additional 20% (the car will look 100% better even with just a rattle can job)

3. Fixing stuff money - 70-75%

This is how my income is spread out Thumbs up!

Haha, thats due to the way i drive though. Goodluck with yours, the clutch sounds like fun :wink:
02-15-2007, 06:06 AM
The clutch does like to slip sometimes, and it sometimes randomly grinds when I try to shift into third and reverse, like it's not fully disengaging - but It's still pretty driveable right now and I'm pretty broke. My parents are going to help me pay for a full service, it needs it. I painted the car myself with black primer and white high gloss enamel, I resprayed the front a better coat of white and sanded and primered all the back of it. I actually like the look of the white front with black back. I think I might just keep it that way with some better paint later. Big Grin

BTW, how strong would you say the frame of this car is, and how well would the stock suspension hold up to drifting on rough roads? It doesn't seem to like it very much ... It's probably just because the suspension is old but it sounds like it wants to come apart sometimes... Especially during braking or feint drifts with higher speeds... but nevermind about that part Angry

One more thing - I'll try to get up some high quality pics of the new paintjob later with my dads awesome digital SLR. It looks pretty nice so far, if you don't count the messed up bumper and missing fuel door... lol