$300, 193,000 miles, and spraypaint.
01-23-2007, 12:19 PM
jamiemirror Wrote:No need to change the tank. Just must use low-pressure fuel pump.
There is nothing to do with electrical system if you choose the carburated 4AGE way.

I meant more the whole thing around ecu, rather carburator the 4AG then install the electrical loom in the SR when swapping the engine Smile
btw what are the differences between SR and GT fuel pump? if I get it rigth, you have to change the SR pump for a low pressure one when keeping the EFI, but if Ill use carbs on the 4AG do I still need it? sorry for such a noob question Confused

86ers.org
AE86 x GXE10
Find all posts by this user
01-23-2007, 01:12 PM
Spitfire Wrote:I meant more the whole thing around ecu, rather carburator the 4AG then install the electrical loom in the SR when swapping the engine Smile
btw what are the differences between SR and GT fuel pump? if I get it rigth, you have to change the SR pump for a low pressure one when keeping the EFI, but if Ill use carbs on the 4AG do I still need it? sorry for such a noob question Confused
AE86 uses engine bay loom and dash loom (they can be separated).
SR pump is mechanical and is located on the engine, GTS use electrical in-tank pump. 0.3 bar vs 3 bar. If you use carburated 4AGE, you can't use this mechanical pump nor GTS electrical one, you will need electrical low-pressure pump (most caburated Honda/Subaru cars are good "donors").

PS: Take in account the ignition management for 4AGE. It's ECU task in stock EFI configuration.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-23-2007, 01:16 PM
thanks for explaining Smile

86ers.org
AE86 x GXE10
01-23-2007, 01:58 PM
Spitfire Wrote:Mux why do you think its dangerous? I will change the bushings of course Smile plus theres quite a big chance that Im going to use the GT suspension (well most likely at least the shocks) Confused
Very simple really, open diff doesn't slide very well, so when you brake traction in the rear you usually just end up with a wheel spinning and loss of speed, especially with the low power of the SR5 you need to do something stupid to really loose control.

With the LSD braking traction will probably get you into a drift, with the SR5s weak probably warn out suspention it'll most likely end up being an out of controll drift. Couple that to the fact that with the low power of the SR5 you're probably already doing something dangerous to begin with to cause the thing to slide in the first place, well its a recipy for disaster if you ask me.

Even the stock GT suspension can be a handfull in a slide (look at recent posted pictures from CircuitFreak and deLange in europian subforum).

So I really think you should get your suspension upgraded first, make your car more controllable, then add goodies that help your car slide more easily and sustain a drift. Its really the combo of low power, bad suspension, and goodie goodie LSD Big Grin

(that said, its all a matter of experience and how safe versus stupid you drive).

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
01-23-2007, 04:24 PM
I beleave Im a very safe driver (ehm, I will be...) and keep the entertaining stuff for airfield/track. but thanks a lot, theres never enough talk about this stuff with someone more experienced Confused

86ers.org
AE86 x GXE10
01-23-2007, 06:21 PM
The AE86 SR5 is a excellent car, they are tuff but like any car they have their flaws. If you just bought this car and you have that limited of a budget, I would use the car only for driving to important places and using money for upkeep/saving (incase something breaks). You are now driving a really old car and things WILL break, sooner if its abused.

80hp in a 4ac? dream on lol.

Stock 4AC power is 48-51WHP stock (Depending on if you have a/c and power steering) . But you can still have fun in the rain with a SR5, and cheaply build the 4AC to 4AG stock hp standards for $650 from paradiseracing.com

Visist club4ac.com they are your SR5 allies.
01-24-2007, 07:16 AM
It was beginning to feel more in the 50s range ><

But yeah , the shocks are very worn. I also need to get the exhaust replaced very, very soon. It has be be driven full throttle to keep it from bogging down sometimes. The FB ('83 GSL) is pretty much done for my budget. I'm pretty sure it would take about $3000 to get it road legal -at the least. The interior is completely water damaged because it's been sitting for about 10 years without a windshield. It has no windows remaing on the front half of the car, and many of the body panels have bad rust. The hood is completely useless - I can see the carb through it. The engine should be fine though - it ran when it was parked and it only has 80,000 miles on it. Just needs to be cleaned up a little. Oh, and it also had a brand new clutch plate when it was parked.
About the rear end on the FB - what kind of equipment would I need for that and about how long would it take keeping in mind I have school? My floor jack only raises to around 15in.

Also - the suspension really needs an overhaul on the hachi - so anything from the FB to help would be good. Springs? Tools?

It's unfortunate to say that I'm pretty sure my hachi is not made from one car. I have seen four different paint colors on it in different places. Blue in one door, car is gray, white front 1/4 panels, red under hood... I think the blue was spray paint though. The front panels were a obviously put on by someone who didn't know what they were doing.

The suspension is so bad though, it sounds like it could fall out when I hit something. Or like it is going to tear the tires out form under my car. And the steering rattles if I hit the smallest bump/hole. I also can't change the right front tire (it's smaller than all the rest) The stupid lugs won't break free. Stupid ugly stock rim. Even though it's probably lighter than the other bigger ones. But much skinnier... Speaking of which, the speedo is off by a lot. I'f I'm going 70 on the freeway it reads around 85ish.
01-24-2007, 10:10 AM
Hmm, to put an RX7 axle under a hachi you need to start by finding someone who knows what he's doing. First to get a good judge whether it will fit or not (not to wide or to short) but installing it is alot of work. Doing it with just a floor jack would be a real challenge, I wouldn't say impossible cause I've seen people do wonders with cars on floor jacks, but I don't think it's the best approach.

Basically to install the axle you're either going to need to weld brackets onto the axle that match up with the 4 links on the hachi or adjust the brackets on the hachi itself (the latter one I think would be impossible on a floor jack, this is very precise work).
You also need to change the drive shaft, basically make a combination of the hachi's drive shaft and the RX7s one. On one end it needs to fit the Hachi's gearbox, on the other the RX7s axle. This is a matter of taking very accute measurements, taking the axles to a machine shop, and getting someone to do it for you.

You are also going to need to figure out a way to make the suspension work. Either by welding on the right bits to the RX7 axle, or looking into a full coilover upgrade and going fully custom on this one. It really depends on how well the standard suspension points on the RX7 axle match up with the Hachi.

Last but not least, you're going to have to figure out how to hook up the brakes.

So again I stress, you should find someone who's done something like this before and advise you. Seriously, I think you'd be doing alot of work that would be better spend finding something that is a near direct swap (like a GT axle)

Shame the RX7 is become in such a bad shape, if it had been stored a bit better, it could have been one heck of a ride. If the engine is still good, maybe you should sell it, these engines make a lot of money...

As for your speedo problem, join the club Big Grin Its an old 80ies car Big Grin Atleast you wont be getting any speeding tickets Big Grin

Suspension btw, I doubt you can use something from the RX7, totally different cars in that respect..

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
01-24-2007, 08:39 PM
...... before doing anything fix the body work. spray it and then look further..... the cars body look in bad shape.rip the fb apart and sell it in pieces and you will have money for the ae86

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
01-26-2007, 05:54 AM
Today I checked one of the spark plugs to see If I would need to replace them soon. It had a lot of buildup and had a rust-like color. (it wasn't rusty though) and the gap was too big. Tune-up coming soon then... For some reason me and my dad could hardly get the plug to go back in. It just wouldn't sit in the thread right and kept spinning and spinning.. I also checked the belts for dryrot - there was some - but the belts are all tight and seem fine. I changed out my ugly front rim for the matching one that was being used as a spare. It has a slow leak from the valve stem though. I'm probably not going to be able to use any parts from the FB until next year when I get into my highschool auto tech class where there is a lift - and real tools. I'll probably sell off the 13B (if it really is one) so I can have some money for a suspension upgrade and new exhaust... and a new battery and tires and an LSD and... well Maybe I can figure out some way to make more money. I need a higher paying job :S

Does anyone know where I could get a fuel door for my hachi other than a junkyard? The car looks just plain stupid with a hole in the side...

And - a funny story.

The way the car is pray painted looks like someone was desperate to make a panda out of this car with krylon. So when I m driving around there are a few people who know about the 86, and .... initial D. So they see me in it and automatically assume I think my car is "Teh awesome drift machine", which I don't, and that I'm trying to be like Takumi, which I'm not. The first time was a guy in a very nice looking RX-8. He actually rolled down the window and almost laughed at it. And today there was a REALLY nice Mini Cooper S. The guy pulled up to me at the light to turn right on red (I was waiting to turn left) as he went by he looked at me like I was a retard and when he pulled off about 30ft he floored it . His Mini I would estimate had around 230HP by the way he took off. Real nice car.
I can't wait to get my car painted. The lack of respect from people who don't even own a car is very annoying. Yeah, my cars is real ugly and slow. If it was just ugly or just slow it'd be different, but its neither fast nor easy on the eyes. If I do eventually get it painted it will probably be either gray, white, or black. If its white it'll be a panda, but people would always associate that with Initial D, which is annoying because have always liked the panda even before I heard of Initial D. Oh well.