$300, 193,000 miles, and spraypaint.
01-23-2007, 04:45 AM
Yeah, right after I posted that I remembered seeing a video with a 13B powered 86. The brakes, springs, and LSD are really the only things I'd want off the RX-7 right now anyway. 80Hp is enough for me to learn with, although the 20 more from the 12A wouldn't hurt. I just have to remember that I only have basic tools, one 2000lbs floor jack, and no level ground other than in the backyard. So for right now I just need to keep it running.

It likes to sputter and shut off because of the faulty exhaust. It has a lot of trouble idling. What's the best way to get a good, cheap aftermarket exhaust? I might be able to install it myself.
Find all posts by this user
01-23-2007, 04:51 AM
like exhaust, as in manifold, cat, or pipes?

you could try the buy section for a manifold but yours is ac so idk, the cat just get rplacement, pipes on the other hand could be little spendy, but I'm not savy on prices.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-23-2007, 04:55 AM
I'm not sure what exactly is wrong with the exhaust system, I know the muffler rattles and pops, and there is at least one leak, probably from the engine bay itself. Once I get moving it runs fine though.

Edit: hopefully I'll have some pictures of the engine up by wednesday, because there is something odd about it that I think may also have something to do with the exhaust. I won't try to confuse myself trying to figure out what to call it, I'll just get the pics up.
01-23-2007, 09:31 AM
If your planning LSD and disc brakes at the rear, theres nothing easier then swapping the whole axle for the GT-S one Smile that would obviously be the first mod I will do, imho its a much better start then some suspension mods

86ers.org
AE86 x GXE10
01-23-2007, 10:17 AM
TKD-Wolf Wrote:Yeah, right after I posted that I remembered seeing a video with a 13B powered 86. The brakes, springs, and LSD are really the only things I'd want off the RX-7 right now anyway. 80Hp is enough for me to learn with, although the 20 more from the 12A wouldn't hurt. I just have to remember that I only have basic tools, one 2000lbs floor jack, and no level ground other than in the backyard. So for right now I just need to keep it running.

It likes to sputter and shut off because of the faulty exhaust. It has a lot of trouble idling. What's the best way to get a good, cheap aftermarket exhaust? I might be able to install it myself.
Heya Wolf,

If you have a true FB (84/85 first gen RX7 with 13B engine, not 12A, if its 12A engine its an SA) then one thing that will fit are the rimms Big Grin
FB is 4x114.3 just like the hachi.
I'm not 100% sure if the SA wheels would also fit, I believe SA had another PCD but not sure.

I also do not know if the rear axle swaps over, in theory it may fit with certain adjustments. If so I would certainly look into it because the RX7 rear axle is damn good and the FB should have an LSD in there. SA might have LSD, might not, depends on which trim you got.

As for dropping the rotary in... Why not just fix up the FB? Is it that far gone? Rotary can be made to fit in a hachi with LOADS of work. It has been done before, there are mating plates available to mate it up to the T50 tranny. Actually come to think of it, a carbed 13B rotary might actually be an easier swap than you might think. The swaps I've read about are the 13B EFI from the FC and that involves alot of headaches due to its way to complex electronics and emissions systems. But the 13B in the FB is dead simple and there are plenty of upgrades available to up the power.

Shame such a thing is not allowed hereSad

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
01-23-2007, 10:19 AM
Spitfire Wrote:If your planning LSD and disc brakes at the rear, theres nothing easier then swapping the whole axle for the GT-S one Smile that would obviously be the first mod I will do, imho its a much better start then some suspension mods
Not necessarily. The SR5 suspension is softer then the GTS and probably even more warn out after 200k miles. I'd say just swapping an LSD axle in is damned dangerous. I'd defo first do the suspension Big Grin

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
01-23-2007, 11:12 AM
Just wondering... I heard you need to swap your gas tank when you swap from carb to EFI, if I got it right this has something to do with the fuel pump... Would you have to swap the tank if you swapped an EFI engine for one with a carb? Probably not, right? Can somebody explain???
01-23-2007, 11:44 AM
Ive heard something like that as well, thats why Im going for a carbed 4AG... plus not to mension installing the whole electrical system Confused

86ers.org
AE86 x GXE10
01-23-2007, 11:47 AM
Mux213 Wrote:Not necessarily. The SR5 suspension is softer then the GTS and probably even more warn out after 200k miles. I'd say just swapping an LSD axle in is damned dangerous. I'd defo first do the suspension Big Grin

Mux why do you think its dangerous? I will change the bushings of course Smile plus theres quite a big chance that Im going to use the GT suspension (well most likely at least the shocks) Confused

86ers.org
AE86 x GXE10
01-23-2007, 11:52 AM
Spitfire Wrote:Ive heard something like that as well, thats why Im going for a carbed 4AG... plus not to mension installing the whole electrical system Confused

No need to change the tank. Just must use low-pressure fuel pump.
There is nothing to do with electrical system if you choose the carburated 4AGE way.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user