nzae86's TRD ae86 N2 Race Car Project 2,
01-13-2013, 05:51 AM
You have most of the parts I have Lyndon!

Did you think about doing the fibreglass roof skin too? or the rear light panel?

Those are the two next pieces on my radar.
Find all posts by this user
01-13-2013, 07:30 AM
how much weight is lost doing the roof skin? I was not aware of any fibreglass roof skins for sale.
I dont want to lose any more weight out of the rear half of the car as I need some weight to give traction...I will be corner weighing the car to know how far back I need to mount the engine and seats etc to get balance right for gravel.
The alloy fuel tank I am using is mounted above the diff...not behind like the standard fuel tanks which can have a pendulum effect when carrying full fuel capacity.
01-13-2013, 09:43 AM
Im still trying to get info on the weight saved, the FG one weighs 3kg. Im guessing its a 2-3kg saving, maybe a little more. Some have said 10kg, hard to imagine that though.
01-13-2013, 11:03 AM
4000GT Wrote:Im still trying to get info on the weight saved, the FG one weighs 3kg. Im guessing its a 2-3kg saving, maybe a little more. Some have said 10kg, hard to imagine that though.

I have a brand new roof skin hanging on the wall and I would say it doesn't weigh much at all . Probably more gains by eating less ??

Your addiction to motorsport can only be cured by poverty !!
01-13-2013, 11:09 AM
Would be good to understand the differences. Every 1kg counts as you know, and its the highest possible weight.
01-13-2013, 11:10 AM
LyndonAE86 NZ Wrote:
nzae86 Wrote:
LyndonAE86 NZ Wrote:Hi Steve,
I cannot believe it has taken me this long to discover this thread.
I am about to start building my second AE86 Rallycar down in the south island and I will be making alot of improvements from my last car...and this build is an inspiration.
Being a fibreglasser I can appreciate the amount of hours you have spent fabricating these parts.
Here is a quick link to my page showing some of the parts I will be using for the new build...http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.443659362336613.90432.442941462408403&type=1

please feel free to let me know if you think there are much better options out there.

I have a TRD gearset inside a T-50(not sure which part #), 5:3 c/w and pinion with TRD LSD, and a bare shell at this stage so I am looking forward to getting things underway!

Cheers, Lyndon Galbraith

Hi Lyndon

good to see another car being built in NZ, I have just purchased another ae86 rally car with the same setup as you are using , TRD t50 with the 2.3 1st gear (same as my other 2 cars) TRD LSD with a 5.3 , engine is drysumped and making 190hp at the rear wheels . This car has fibreglass doors, gaurds,bonnet and rear hatch so will be a bit lighter than my tarmac rally car. It has bilstiens front and rear, wilwoods all round.
I have a tarmac event coming up in a couple of months so I will enter both cars (existing rally and new rally car, they are both yellow!) and see which is the fastest.
The cusco strut brace I purchased some time ago from the states so not sure if the are still avalible .
I have seen some of your incar videos , very impressive !
If I can be of any help with info for your build let me know as I have learnt from my mistakes and successes during my builds

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - nzae86's TRD ae86 N2 Race Car  Project 2,]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Cheers Steve

Thanks Steve,

That new car of yours looks good. Was it on trade me? I have not seen that car before.
Yes I have purchased fibreglass front guards. bonnet, doors and rear hatch with ducktail and they are now waiting for me in Nz. My aim for this car is to get it as light as possible.
We have also just landed our new custom cages AE86 FIA roll cage and several carbon fibre parts(dash,door cards, footrests, roof vent etc etc) are on the way from Ireland. check out this page for all parts.

http://www.galwaycarbon.com/car-parts/ae86-corolla/

I also have some really good stuff on the way from Irelands http://www.grp4fabrications.com/index.php?cPath=42

lexan window kit, alloy tank, front suspension kits with rose jointed lower control kit and alloy hubs should all help with weight loss.

I am using the AP's on the front and might just go with Wilwoods on the rear as being a gravel car the rear wont be doing alot of braking.

I look forward to hearing how your 2 cars compare.

Cheers, Lyndon

Sounds like you are going to end up with a very light car , I have the corner weights of my track car at the workshop so next time I'm there I will get them. They are a very well balanced car to start with and don't need to be played with much at all in my opinion .
My mate had this car and it has had very little use and had sat unused since 2006 so I thought that I should own it and park it with my fleet !

cheers

Your addiction to motorsport can only be cured by poverty !!
01-13-2013, 11:20 AM
What did your weigh in at?
03-23-2013, 05:09 AM
Greetings from the US,

I have very closely followed your Corolla build. Very nice work!

I have been slowly collecting parts for my personal N2 project (engine work will be done by Loynings Engine service, here in Portland Oregon)

Anyways... My question for you is about the TRD N2 body kit. Do you have any connections to finding one of these kits??

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Krystian
03-23-2013, 12:01 PM
kmr740 Wrote:Greetings from the US,

I have very closely followed your Corolla build. Very nice work!

I have been slowly collecting parts for my personal N2 project (engine work will be done by Loynings Engine service, here in Portland Oregon)

Anyways... My question for you is about the TRD N2 body kit. Do you have any connections to finding one of these kits??

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Krystian

http://www.mcnsport.com/shop/part.php?ca...&part=2864
03-25-2013, 04:16 AM
Thank you^^

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  nzae86's AE86 Levin Tarmac rally car build Project 1 nzae86 30 53,295 04-30-2013 07:28 AM
Last Post: nzae86
  my celica race car with race beams Celica RA45 14 19,395 09-14-2011 11:50 AM
Last Post: Celica RA45
  AKR's Daily-driver-race-car asian knight rider 5 9,922 11-01-2009 12:25 AM
Last Post: doggy
  My Project car :D Muchomuchacho 5 6,049 06-05-2008 05:15 PM
Last Post: Muchomuchacho
  A.D.D Performance Demo car (AE86 project) cab32 15 16,461 03-24-2008 03:34 PM
Last Post: cab32