Suspension modification
04-11-2005, 04:44 PM
Suspension modification
T3 dont do superhuman welding, so you can probably find someone that can make a very strong weld just like theirs. Why should you have to go to a suspension shop, other shops that do work on metal should be perfectly able to cut the struts to a certain length of your choice and weld them back together.
I can understand your point of view though..

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-12-2005, 10:37 AM
Suspension modification
The original strut housings are made from seam tubes. So your welding (professional welding, don't start teaching yourself on struts) is strong enough. But there is another option - replace the whole tube and use only bottom part of assembly. Exotic - but possible. I chose the first option and now my housings are shortened and welded clear and strong :-)
04-12-2005, 12:36 PM
Suspension modification
There are coilover sets for sale that have threads for the nut at the end. If you buy those you only need to cut the strut a certain amount and weld the coilover on. They are more expensive though..

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
07-24-2005, 06:59 PM
Suspension modification
what do you think of the D2 coil over kit

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/sale/D2/...rs/part/RS

we can stil get to the old price 999,-

what do you think i dont get what short stroke mens got any links where i can read about it ?
Find all posts by this user
07-25-2005, 08:49 AM
Suspension modification
Werz,

Short stroke means that you have a shorter shock obsorbers then stock. The stock ae86 shocks don't have enough travel left when you lower your car because of their lenght. Especially with gas struts this becomes a problem. Using normal sized ae86 shocks with stiffer springs will also mean that your spring comes loose when your car comes offf the ground and that is an MOT failure, atleast here in holland.

The solution is to use shorter shocks (hence the name short stroke) like AE92 shocks. You need to modify the struts by removing about 4cm out of the struts so the shorter shocks will fit. This way you can lower the car alot more and or install stiffer springs without getting into trouble.

Read this for more info:
http://www.club4ag.com/faq%20and%20tech_...ersion.htm

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
07-25-2005, 12:50 PM
Suspension modification
Mux,
Quote:shorter shocks (hence the name short stroke) like AE92 shocks

IMHO shorter shocks (AE92 ones, yes) doesn't mean shortstrokes too !
Shortstroke means shorter travel of shock piston. That way stock gas KYB for AE92 (like mine) are "long" stroke, but Koni Sport for example (even longer in size - AE86, not AE92 ones) are "short" stroke ones. The type of springs must match shocks (thanks Kris for that lesson) - short stroke with short stroke.
07-25-2005, 02:19 PM
Suspension modification
jamie,

Hehe yupz, short stroke indeed literally means what you say, the fact that the travel of the shock is shorter then, say stock. Atleast thats what I understood from all that I've read about them.

But within the hachi world a short stroke conversion usually indicates that you go for the shorter sized shocks aswell it sortof blended inSmile

I wasn't aware that the normal AE86 koni shocks already are short stroke. They are not short stroke enough for me as my spring comes loose though so I am still thinking about going AE92. I've already started on my spare set of strut casingsSmile

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
07-25-2005, 03:05 PM
Suspension modification
Ordinary ae86 koni's are not short stroke, if stock springs fit without compressing them a lot. If you have measurements proving the opposite please post them. BTW, the shorter casing makes it possible to lower the car while keeping a bigger stroke.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
09-08-2005, 11:52 PM
Suspension modification
http://www.driftproject.com/installs/ae8...coilovers/

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Suspension modification]
5/2018 BMW F22 Coupe
1/1985 Toyota AE86 Levin Coupe
10-05-2005, 03:05 PM
Suspension modification
What Shocks are best suited to a 35mm drop in height?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OEM LSD modification malejyetti 40 50,304 06-23-2016 12:34 PM
Last Post: pack
  Fuel Tank Modification apardal 1 5,136 08-11-2014 06:59 PM
Last Post: Ivan141
  All I should know about suspension before any modification damusto 20 19,619 05-24-2013 09:28 PM
Last Post: damusto
  Possible body change/modification, need help. Rascal21 2 4,832 11-08-2008 11:57 AM
Last Post: Ivan141
  TRD - Sports parts & Modification manual Onyx 32 24,384 04-01-2008 08:27 PM
Last Post: speed-inc