Scottish Trueno rebuild - Nürburgring with pics!
02-11-2017, 05:20 PM (This post was last modified: 07-24-2017 10:38 PM by kazi.)
so someone said it would be good to see my build from start to finish so this is it.

This has been taken form my build thread on AE86.irl

Purchased this from that lads over a JDMauctionwatch last Friday. was buy no means a planned purchase... was POSSIBLY planning on getting another next year but someone offered to buy my Glanza the same night I found this and couldn't pass it up. it ticked the 2 requirements I was after 1) Trueno and 2) its red. was ideally after a hatch but ive always had a soft spot for the coupes.

So in January i will have my first running 86! she's not show room state but she not a rot box either... (well not till i get stuck in and find stuff anyway)

so i hope to get over to Ireland for some meets, 86day etc

will update this as i go alone. if you'll be at Scottish car show & JAE then you'll see it next year

spec is: (taken from add)

1985 AE86 Toyota Trueno 2door
Original Red
145k kms from new (verified)
Very rare cream and brown interior
Mint sideskirts with rubbers and rear spoiler
Original headunit still in place
Original Airbox
Original Manifold and centre section
Toms Racing wheels
HKS rear silencer
Rollcage
Strut brace
Recaro seats x2
Aftermarket front bumper
Aftermarket steering wheel
Aftermarket shocks and springs
Diff guard
Chassis rails strengthened

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!]

Could do with a new front bumper. ideally like to put the OEM one back on but have ordered new bumper lights from Toyota today so I can get it MOTd andbooter registered.

fter 4 long months its finally in my drive!

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!] [Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!]

mid way through changing the clutch i spotted a few things that i wanted to take care of sooner rather than later. so started to strip down so i can see what its really like. No idea when ill get time to do it but seeing as I've only driven the damn thing for 150 miles since it hit the UK id rather get it done sooner than later. few pics.

Sills are looking strong!

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!]

small update. got the engine/gearbox out today. easier than i thought. looking forward to getting stuck into the engine! Gearbox did take me back quite a but though when i was draining it.... it was like i was draining milk it was that white (see pic below) what could this be caused by? like I'm not talking about a small bit of contamination neither... clutch i don't think has even been changed in its life either.

what came out of the box...
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!]

thats all for now folks!!

small update.

Dash is out... that was fun...
fuel tank is out... also fun.
Exhaust... what a weight int he standard manifold!! not sure if I'm going to keep the HKS or not.

slight bit of rot under the fuel tank but is no where near as bad as i thought it would be. have also taken a few pics of the strengthening and how the underside looks just know as some have commented.

enjoy!
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!]

started the engine... looks like someone has emptied the remains of a frying pan into the thing. was hoping to do a top end rebuild but looks like a full one is order.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!]

thought i better update this!

not much has happened really. well nothing that exiting. car is bare now. got the rear quarter windows out tonight and now car is awaiting front and rear windows to be taken out and then away to the body shop she goes!! picked up my new engine as well today. decided against rebuilding mine and this one came up at a god price and was local which was a plus. RAW engineering 4age High Torque engine previously fitted to a Talbot Sunbeam.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!]

picture overload. sorry

o cars away to the weld shop and then onto paint. The car has done more miles on the back of a trailer than I've driven it no uk roads. no joke. anyway... have painted the pedals and servo also.

also got a brand new Today racing flywheel to go alone with the 3 puk clutch.

anyway... more pics!

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!]

cars away for welding the now. not much update. more of an excuse to put pics up.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!]

Not much else. fannying away with the engine. more pics soon

more update from RS Restorations means more pics....

so behind some of japans finest "home made chassis bracing"...

Update. Welding is almost finished.... untill he started on boot floor. I know it needed some
Work but didn't know it was going to end up being a new boot floor. But I have to take my hat of to Cathel O'Neill aka Goldie. He's managed to squeeze me In at night to get me a boot floor and wheel well and get it posted out all in a week! So thank you again if you are reading.

New SARD 130Lph pump from Chris Gray and 4AGE distributorless ignition kit from trigger wheels. Some might have seen my thread about COP conversions and that I had seen a kit with Megajolt ECU. Contacted them and managed to get the kit without the ECU. save me having to find all sensor individually and for a good price.

Next up is to get the boot floor in and away to paint. Not many pics but there are some!

ne more step closer to paint. and one step closer to seeing the nurburgring

boot floor is now in as well as the wheel well base thanks to Cathal o'nell saving my ass.

Still have ECU and TSP for jenveys to buy and can then get the wiring loom made

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!] ][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!]

underside started. The underside and inner arches have been rubbed down. Small 5p whole on the passenger inner and the rest was surface rust so I'm told of which there was very little. Small 1P size whole on the driver pocket at the bottom and thats all. quite surprised really!

picking up underseal tomorrow. have went for a slightly more aggressive undersea than the normal stone chip. Have gone for Upol Raptor. mainly used for truck beds so should stand up to Scottish weather alright.

First half of UPOL Raptor on with paint mix. front half going on next few days.

icked the car up today.....

and dropped it straight of to paint!

very happy with the UPOL Raptor results and is a big step towards seeing the road again. but for now its of to get s new coat of 3E5.

still on the look out for an ECU. OMEX600 if anyone has one going for a good price.

BIG UPDATE!! well for me it is Big Grin

dropped the car of saturday afternoon, they started work on it on Monday and this is it now. Guys at the body shop said its one of the cleanest shells of that age they've seen. also the first AE86 they've seen!

Car was stripped down to bare metal and no hidden surprises which is nice. few pics of the fresh 3E6 paint. really is bright!

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!]
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!]

Car painted! Looks amazing. Few little bits getting touched up and getting a cut and polish. Pick up on Tuesday and the rebuild begins!

cars back from paint... looks fresh. the rebuild starts now!

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!]

Engine bay loom now in along with interior bits etc etc. I'll let the pictures talk. Hopefully not long until the engine is in. Better pics if the paint as well

so this has fallen flat on its tits.... pretty pissed as my already stretched budget and time frame to get this ready for Germany has just got from 'its going to be tight' to 'ill give myself a reach around if this even starts'.....

took the Distributor bung out so i can start to modify a home made CAS. took the exhaust cam out and its scored. both cams the same and the cam seats are like brail. took the head off so i can look at getting it fixed and seen that at some point, although not on this head, the intake valves have smashed the pistons. so someone has clearly smashed the engine during a rally, rebuilt it and put it back together. overly pissed off and gutted as this work that has been done on this engine is amazing for someone to cut corners. lad i got the engine off of wasn't to know about it as he never got round to using it so we both got done. So on the hunt for another working engine. basic as they come so i can do more than 140 miles in this bloody car!

In the grand picture its fixable. all its really needs is cut and polished head, cams and new pistons but with getting married next year, final year of studying and tight time line, i just can't do it in the next 2 years easy!

we do this to these cars because we have a love for it right????....... lord!

I have bought another Blue Top engine that seems to be working. will have the engine in in the next few days and started end of the month.

Ill update this as i go.
Find all posts by this user
02-11-2017, 06:34 PM
That is a long post Smile will read when at my PC.

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-11-2017, 11:48 PM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2017 11:57 PM by headrush.)
Wow man, tons of work done so far, congrats! Thumbs up! fresh paintjob surely suits the restored bodyshell well, I also love that shade of red for an 86. Classy!

There's always work to do with old cars by fixing previous owner's fudges and nasty work. I have also suffered the pains of fixing things done on the cheap by others in the past, it's really frustrating because of the huge amounts of time and money consumption and by no means your fault... unfortunately no one really knows with old cars Sad

Btw, woundn't be easier to source another 4A-GE instead of repairing your current one? I know it'll be the third engine, but I still think it'll be way easier and cheaper.

Keep the good work, I'm sure it'll soon come along nicely!

*EDIT: Oh, I had not read the last line in your post, I think it's a good decission with the engine! Big Grin
02-12-2017, 01:16 PM
(02-11-2017 11:48 PM)headrush Wrote:  Wow man, tons of work done so far, congrats! Thumbs up! fresh paintjob surely suits the restored bodyshell well, I also love that shade of red for an 86. Classy!

There's always work to do with old cars by fixing previous owner's fudges and nasty work. I have also suffered the pains of fixing things done on the cheap by others in the past, it's really frustrating because of the huge amounts of time and money consumption and by no means your fault... unfortunately no one really knows with old cars Sad

Btw, woundn't be easier to source another 4A-GE instead of repairing your current one? I know it'll be the third engine, but I still think it'll be way easier and cheaper.

Keep the good work, I'm sure it'll soon come along nicely!

*EDIT: Oh, I had not read the last line in your post, I think it's a good decission with the engine! Big Grin

Yeh the 3E6 red is just stunning when its new. that engine was a bit gutting. The head was a full TODA race head and going buy the paper work etc i have, they spent that much on a new head when the engine blew up that they ran out of money to fix the rest and winged it and some how it worked fine! but I'm not will to put another £2k into ecu and tuning to find out its going to go pop. so yeh found another 4age. 66km from new and verified and seems to be a good one. will soon find out when i start her up!
02-12-2017, 10:11 PM
Good bit done today. Got the engine back in and ready to wire up once I fix the loom. Also got the rear half of the role cage in the car since I had the car outside and could open the doors. Was hoping to have the fuel tank fitted already but seeing as its 5 days late on arriving ill have to do that next weekend most likely.

02-12-2017, 11:31 PM
(02-12-2017 01:16 PM)kazi Wrote:  so yeh found another 4age. 66km from new and verified and seems to be a good one. will soon find out when i start her up!

That sounds amazing! Big Grin
02-14-2017, 05:33 AM
Outstanding work man. Really envy you guys who have the sack to jump in a do a proper refurn like this .

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

clutch kick, switch, tree .... oowwww
02-14-2017, 08:11 PM
(02-14-2017 05:33 AM)fantapants Wrote:  Outstanding work man. Really envy you guys who have the sack to jump in a do a proper refurn like this .

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

yeh honestly i never planned to go this far. it really is the case that 'one thing led to another'...

but tbh its pretty straight forward and not a daunting as i thought it would be.
02-14-2017, 09:08 PM
(02-14-2017 08:11 PM)kazi Wrote:  yeh honestly i never planned to go this far. it really is the case that 'one thing led to another'...

but tbh its pretty straight forward and not a daunting as i thought it would be.
I second this. The step from going from just polishing the car to painting half of it is smaller than it seems.
02-14-2017, 09:36 PM
(02-14-2017 09:08 PM)decryphe Wrote:  
(02-14-2017 08:11 PM)kazi Wrote:  yeh honestly i never planned to go this far. it really is the case that 'one thing led to another'...

I second this. The step from going from just polishing the car to painting half of it is smaller than it seems.

Glad im not the only one then Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Patrick's rebuild topic PatrickAE86 13 18,141 11-22-2017 05:49 PM
Last Post: The Doctor
  DidiDex 1984 Levin coupe rebuild DidiDex 1 4,923 08-13-2015 03:22 PM
Last Post: DidiDex
  Ae86 from Poland. Complete body rebuild Doktor 9 13,212 09-07-2013 11:07 PM
Last Post: Doktor
  my slowly 1983 AE86 drift rebuild/ 1979 KE35 recovery fax0815 68 103,226 11-12-2012 12:02 AM
Last Post: fax0815
  86er's Track rebuild N2.??? Finally an update page 8 86er 191 244,298 03-25-2012 10:05 AM
Last Post: bozu