DidiDex 1984 Levin coupe rebuild
02-05-2015, 12:15 AM
Hello everybody,

Time to start my own project topic! Back in September I got my first AE86 and what first was to be a Sunday cruiser, got out of hand. My first plan was to partially clean up the rust and have some fun with it. But once I started grinding away, I soon came to realize that a full rebuild was needed and I decided to make the car into a trackday toy.

What's been done:

- Engine, gearbox, interior, fenders, bumpers, ... almost everything is taken of. Chassis is still rolling.
- Trunk has been welded up.
- Rear wheel arches are welded up
- Rear quarter panels are welded up
- Some small rust here and there is removed
- Almost all sound deafening is removed

Plan in the next couple of weeks

- The car I bought had a sunroof so I bought another chassis with a fixed roof. Roofs are getting swithed in the next 2 weeks.
- Take everything off the underside so I can put a fresh coat of paint on it.
- Sand inside and outside

I'm ordering a safety devices rollcage and I want to test fit it before the inside is sprayed, so the base plates can be welded in. When that is all done, the complete car is sprayed.

The engine is good, but I'm changing some seals and stuff because it is out now and easy to do. The clutch needs replacing and I already bought an XTD competition clutch.

I also ordered a complete suspension set from TechnoToy. AQX dampers, polyurethane bushings, camberplates, etc.. The handling package every AE86 should have Wink

Pics are here:

http://www.aeu86.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=14352

More comming soon!
Find all posts by this user
08-13-2015, 03:22 PM
Update after a long time.. The restoration got out of hand Smile Found a lot more rust... Chassis is now rust free and in primer. Painting is for next month.
Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scottish Trueno rebuild - Nürburgring with pics! kazi 77 163,147 11-25-2018 11:42 PM
Last Post: kazi
  Trueno Hatch and Levin Coupe - Repair, replace, pray xD TomRich 13 12,848 10-07-2018 09:45 PM
Last Post: banpei
  @dodo@ Levin Coupe, renovation and tuning (56k think twice) @dodo@ 165 147,416 03-28-2018 12:35 PM
Last Post: ZaX
  Patrick's rebuild topic PatrickAE86 13 18,100 11-22-2017 05:49 PM
Last Post: The Doctor
  Aram's 3SGE Beams Levin Coupe robokill 665 682,961 09-03-2017 09:24 PM
Last Post: banpei