Scottish Trueno rebuild - Nürburgring with pics!
03-04-2017, 11:04 PM
So thought I'd give cleaning the fuel tank a go. Didn't have it in the budget sadly to put a new fuel tank in but will get one near the end of the year, so for now this will do.

I looked at loads of different fuel tank restore products from comaline to POR15 but for the price they where I could have put that to a new tank. One thing I did notice though is that a key ingredient of the fuel restore produces is 'citric acid' so I did a bit of digging. I stumbled across a thread on the 'Vespa owners club' and that's all they use for clean out tanks. Acid and hot water. So though fuck it, let's try!!

1st step: chuck in easy to fish items from the tank. I used old sockets, bike change and garden chain.

Give it a shake about to get all the dry crap chipped away from the tank.

2nd step: once you have shaken until your hearts content empty said crap out of tank. Remove the items you have put in also.

3rd step: get your citric acid in powder form and pour into the tank. I used 4x 250kg from my local DIY/Cleaning shop IE this stuff:

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!]

Get hot water (I got mine from the shower. Easiest place for me) and fill the tank almost full

4th step: cover the sender/pump holes up. I used old broken units to seal up the hold and make sure filler cap is on.

5th step: shake the crap out of it again for as long as you like and then leave to sit. Turn the tank upside side (if it doesn't leak) to get the crap from the tanks roof. I left mine for about 38hours sitting.

6th step. Pour out the acid/water

7th step: get a pressure washer and give the inside of the tank a good clean out. I took filler neck off as well as pump/sender. You'll want to do this as much as possible.

8th step: dry. Ideally with compressed air but if not a heat gun/ hair dryer will do.

9th step: use tank dealer if you really want to. I haven't, personally don't see the point in it for myself.

Mine could have benefited in this getting done twice but I'd say I'm pretty happy with the outcome considering what it was like. The results of mine aren't breath taking but are still pretty good considering how little time I spend on it.

So if you are wanting a cheap alternative to overly expensive restoration kits give this ago. All in all this cost me £15 total. £10 for the acid and £5 for pressure wash and a few hour in the evening.

Hope this might help some people.

A few pics. Didn't get many but you get the idea.

Before:

After:
Find all posts by this user
03-05-2017, 12:47 AM
Well done, one good thing to remember is to use something to negate the acid after, so it won't keep eating away

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-07-2017, 03:14 PM
(03-05-2017 12:47 AM)Bean Wrote:  Well done, one good thing to remember is to use something to negate the acid after, so it won't keep eating away

Citric Acid isn't a particularly strong acid thankfully so a couple of rinses with water does the trick Smile
If you are worried about it, a little splash of bleach will sort it out and then rinse with water Smile

Good job on the tank Cal! Will bump that for when it comes to doing mine Smile
03-18-2017, 11:11 PM (This post was last modified: 03-18-2017 11:12 PM by kazi.)
so got the gearbox cleaned out and put back on the car. stone chipped the fuel tank and also got that fitted as well as exhaust manifold and prop.

New oils as well. went for Fuchs 15-20 full synth for ranging and Fuchs LS90 for diff, Tripe QX 75-80 (i think. might be 90) for gearbox and toyota red coolant.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!]
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Scottish Trueno rebuild - N...with pics!]

Have been trying to start the car this past day. ready to burn it. cranks, gets spark, gets fuel, timing is correct (maybe not) and still nothing. enough for one day.

after loads of issues getting this things to run we have this!!! still needs timed but she's running for now!

https://youtu.be/z03ovjt83_U
03-30-2017, 10:46 PM (This post was last modified: 03-30-2017 10:56 PM by kazi.)
Got her timed after fannying about with the dizzy and TPS and then FUCKIN' CRACK! Tensioner spring decides it doesn't want to be apart of the team.

Result, new gates timing belt with 0 miles in the bin.

so a bit of an update. I got timing belt number 2 and another new spring so we will see if this one can make it past 0 miles.

got new discs and pads from KAM Racing in the uk. good price delivered all things considered.

and seeing as the Recaros that where in the car when i got it just sat far far to high i got myself these! Cobra Suzuka Pro series seats for a steal with light use. ordered Driftworks side mount rails for them to go on.

on the final stretch now. can't wait to get this thing back going.
03-31-2017, 09:54 AM
Awesome update dude

Seats look good

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

Signature removed due to large photobucket message
03-31-2017, 07:05 PM
(03-31-2017 09:54 AM)MIGGZFSU Wrote:  Awesome update dude

Seats look good

thanks dude. yeh can't wait to get the seats in.
04-01-2017, 08:51 AM
(03-31-2017 07:05 PM)kazi Wrote:  

Seats look good

You moving along quickly dude I'm sure you must be excited

04-01-2017, 10:14 AM
(04-01-2017 08:51 AM)MIGGZFSU Wrote:  
(03-31-2017 07:05 PM)kazi Wrote:  

Seats look good

You moving along quickly dude I'm sure you must be excited

Yeh 8 months from starting till now so going quickly. I stupidly agreed to going over to Germany for the Nurburgring in July so have to get the car finished for then! Everything's booked now haha
04-01-2017, 12:00 PM
Hahahaha that's my dream one day to go to the ring. Even if it's on a bicycle I need to do it

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Patrick's rebuild topic PatrickAE86 13 18,146 11-22-2017 05:49 PM
Last Post: The Doctor
  DidiDex 1984 Levin coupe rebuild DidiDex 1 4,926 08-13-2015 03:22 PM
Last Post: DidiDex
  Ae86 from Poland. Complete body rebuild Doktor 9 13,214 09-07-2013 11:07 PM
Last Post: Doktor
  my slowly 1983 AE86 drift rebuild/ 1979 KE35 recovery fax0815 68 103,243 11-12-2012 12:02 AM
Last Post: fax0815
  86er's Track rebuild N2.??? Finally an update page 8 86er 191 244,328 03-25-2012 10:05 AM
Last Post: bozu