Krullibulls Ae86 BEAMS is the only way
02-28-2016, 10:46 PM
I'd say option 1 is the sensible one.
Option 2 is a headache. A lot of work and you'll need new pins.
Option 3 is nice if you can afford a bulkhead connector with enough pins, those usually cost quite a lot.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-01-2016, 10:04 PM
(02-28-2016 10:46 PM)Ivan141 Wrote:  I'd say option 1 is the sensible one.
Option 2 is a headache. A lot of work and you'll need new pins.
Option 3 is nice if you can afford a bulkhead connector with enough pins, those usually cost quite a lot.

1. What makes it the sensible one?
2. With what I do for a living it's no headache and pins & seals are "easy" to find. Have to check if the cables for the Link are long enough this weekend tho.
3. Actually this costs about the same as #2 (~110€) depending on which tool you get. My only major concern with this is that the sensor cables which are shielded will be unshielded when they are in the connector.

I'm probably overthinking this as usual but I like to make good decisions.
Find all posts by this user
03-01-2016, 10:40 PM
If your line of work allows access to new parts then that changes the story somewhat.
I've done options 1 and 2 once in the past, but without access to all the parts and tools
just splicing wires was much easier and more reliable.

From a quality standpoint it makes more sense to use all new wires and pins. From a practicality standpoint it makes more sense to leave the engine loom as is and splice it to your ECU loom at a convenient location. If you do it the way you mentioned with crimps it should be just as reliable as OEM (they also use crimps as you surely know). The only downside being that you need to spread out the splices to avoid the loom becoming too thick in one point.

About bulkhead connectors: Have a look around. If it's good enough for most motorsports applications, then surely there must be a solution that works.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
03-01-2016, 10:47 PM
No.2 all the way, by far the neatest and best job.

I wish I had access to the tools and parts needed to do it.

I spliced the loom in close to each plug last time. Would love to pin them again though!
03-02-2016, 01:44 PM
Personally I'm going for option 2 with my Haltech, mainly because my OEM loom will stay with the old engine. If your original loom is in good working order you could simply repin the connector on the Link ECU side. This should be easy if you can source the pins and a good crimping tool. You may need to add a few wires to the loom (if you go fully sequential).

AE86 ex-daily
03-02-2016, 05:08 PM
what link ecu you get? not the plug and play model?
03-03-2016, 09:15 PM
#2 I'll only change out the pins and seals the connectors themselves will remain. I don't have access to new parts at work, was more thinking of the actual work involved Wink.

But if the wires from the Link isn't long enough #2 isn't an option anyways. I've found a good way to solve the shielding issue in #3, if I ditch the alternator cables (which I was going to do anyway) I have room to carry the shielding trough some of the pins Thumbs up!

I'll make up my mind this weekend when I take a really good look at it. Thanks for your input guys! Smile. It's really priceless for a indecisive guy like me.

I got the G4+ Storm Black Series and I didn't get the plug in one because I don't see the point unless you have an Altezza.
03-05-2016, 01:48 PM
Small update. Didn't do anything to the car yesterday but I made a to-do list and a to-buy list. Measured up the wires from the Link and they are long enough with ease so I'll probably go with option #2 Smile.

And it seems that I might be able to hook up a aftermarket speedo to the sensor on the J160 gearbox which would be nice.
03-05-2016, 03:44 PM
I still need to check what will remain from my original engine but if you find a good source or partnumbers for the pins for all the plugs, please let me know Smile

AE86 ex-daily
03-10-2016, 11:41 PM
(03-05-2016 03:44 PM)Bean Bandit Wrote:  I still need to check what will remain from my original engine but if you find a good source or partnumbers for the pins for all the plugs, please let me know Smile

When I find a good place to buy from I'll tell you Smile. The connectors are of the brand Sumitomo and the most used one is MT 090. Was going to buy from efihardware.com but they are quite expensive I've come to find out.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ae86 racecar with beams engine bakonick 148 159,511 04-23-2024 10:06 PM
Last Post: bakonick
  OST-078: Not the only one who signs their work..... oldeskewltoy 9 3,642 02-03-2022 08:52 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  Aram's 3SGE Beams Levin Coupe robokill 665 712,201 09-03-2017 09:24 PM
Last Post: banpei
  AE86 GTV-Multipoint Cage, Beams, AP Brakes & Brides Conrad 462 594,713 06-27-2017 12:21 PM
Last Post: DJexor
  Beams Levin build mannix20vt 5 9,018 01-27-2016 12:39 AM
Last Post: mannix20vt