nzae86's TRD ae86 N2 Race Car Project 2,
03-21-2011, 07:18 PM
As you do... Big Grin
Too bad the sexy TRD crank will be hidden in the bowels of this screamer and no longer be able to be admired on the shelf Thumbs up! Must be a pleasure to work in such a clean engine environment Tongue

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - nzae86's TRD ae86 N2 Race Car  Project 2,]
RokuSteady : Shakotan - Tsuraichi - Hippari - Onikyan : 神奈川 様式
Find all posts by this user
03-22-2011, 09:37 AM
Kid Karola Wrote:As you do... Big Grin
Too bad the sexy TRD crank will be hidden in the bowels of this screamer and longer able to be admired on the shelf Thumbs up! Must be a pleasure to work in such a clean engine environment Tongue

Yeah it is a pleasure to work on , have to make sure you've got your good clothes on though !

There is always some development , this time a bit of extra cooling for the oil cooler , and an additional cam belt pulley, (an idea that I copied from an Atlantic car that was racing at the same meeting as me).

Your addiction to motorsport can only be cured by poverty !!
04-07-2011, 01:05 PM
Hey mate

Im only new on here and just read your build thread. Very impressive, so many quality parts and so much quality workmanship has gone into this car, love it. The car is a credit too you.
I was wondering how you find the TRD gearset? I was considering putting the same kit into my spare T50. I have an AE86 track car that already has a gearset in it but unsure of the ratio's so will strip it down and compair it to the TRD gearset. I was considering what kit to put in, Albins, TRD or go for a full dogbox setup. Any feed back you have would be appreciated.

Regards
Brad
04-09-2011, 03:57 AM
Prime86 Wrote:Hey mate

Im only new on here and just read your build thread. Very impressive, so many quality parts and so much quality workmanship has gone into this car, love it. The car is a credit too you.
I was wondering how you find the TRD gearset? I was considering putting the same kit into my spare T50. I have an AE86 track car that already has a gearset in it but unsure of the ratio's so will strip it down and compair it to the TRD gearset. I was considering what kit to put in, Albins, TRD or go for a full dogbox setup. Any feed back you have would be appreciated.

Regards
Brad

Hi there
Thanks for the feedback
The important part of any gear kit is the final drive vs wheel diameter , the TRD kit that I run has a very tall first which makes getting off the line difficult but once moving works very well.A dog box I think is great for gravel rallying but can be a bit hard on the drive train on tarmac.
You need to weigh up torque and power range when considering any gear kit final drive combination .

Just my thoughts

Cheers

04-09-2011, 02:34 PM
Awesome thread. Keep the pics and updates comming.

Regards
Brad
04-10-2011, 02:24 AM
Picked up my engine today from it's fitting of new TRD crank and bearings also crack testing and new rod bolts, made a copy of an extra cam belt pulley from a couple of Atlantic cars that were racing at a meeting that I was at ,to control the cam belt whip at high revs.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - nzae86's TRD ae86 N2 Race Car  Project 2,]

Also going to build another exhaust system to let a bit more noise out , no point pulling 10000RPM and not being able to hear it ! It will be some where between the first system that I built and the current one .

04-10-2011, 02:28 AM
sick sick sick,

you my sir. Are not only thinking large your doing it Thumbs up!

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
04-11-2011, 01:40 AM
Prime86 Wrote:
nzae86 Wrote:
Prime86 Wrote:Hey mate

Regards
Brad
could you let me know the ratios when you take it apart 250km is a nice speed ive got a fair powerfull ae86 and it tops out round 190km fair annoying on the autobhann i do a fair bit of motor way driving need bit more speed ,do you know were i might find a box that would give me thats sorta speed /250kph
thanks

Hi there
Thanks for the feedback
The important part of any gear kit is the final drive vs wheel diameter , the TRD kit that I run has a very tall first which makes getting off the line difficult but once moving works very well.A dog box I think is great for gravel rallying but can be a bit hard on the drive train on tarmac.
You need to weigh up torque and power range when considering any gear kit final drive combination .

Just my thoughts

Cheers
Hi
Thanks, Great to hear from you.
I have looked at quiet a few gearsets now and the TRD kit was one of the kits I was tossing up about buying. I know people with the other gearsets in there cars but noone with the TRD gearset like you have so was curious to know how you found it ratio's wise etc with the 5.33 final drive combo. My car is to tall geared for the track im on now, it only has short straights and about the 190kms/hr is all I need but at the moment mine does up to 250kms/hr. My box has a gearset now but the ratio's are unknown so going to strip it down, find out what they are and freshen it up at the same time. Will change the final drive to 5.33 or 4.78 depending on the rations of the gearset. Was only thinking of the dogbox because with most T50 gearsets they use the standard main shaft which limits you to 1:1 on 4th gear where the dogbox would be 1:1 on the final in 5th.
Keep the pics and updates comming, awesome thread.

Regards
Brad
05-02-2011, 09:10 PM
Made it to the track on the weekend for a bit of testing as I have entered a Time Attack event this weekend as part of this event

http://www.performancecar.co.nz/news-590...is-weekend

With the new exhaust system the engine is running so much cleaner through the rev range to the extent that my lap times were 2.5 seconds faster than before. This is a huge increase.

I am also running my rally car in the saloon car races as well so will make for a busy day ! Can't wait!!

05-03-2011, 08:00 AM
What exhaust changes did you make? Im running a stepped system. the headers are 1.5 inch diameter and 670mm long, then the exhaust steps from 2 > 2.5 > 3 inch exhaust.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  nzae86's AE86 Levin Tarmac rally car build Project 1 nzae86 30 53,775 04-30-2013 07:28 AM
Last Post: nzae86
  my celica race car with race beams Celica RA45 14 19,553 09-14-2011 11:50 AM
Last Post: Celica RA45
  AKR's Daily-driver-race-car asian knight rider 5 10,000 11-01-2009 12:25 AM
Last Post: doggy
  My Project car :D Muchomuchacho 5 6,134 06-05-2008 05:15 PM
Last Post: Muchomuchacho
  A.D.D Performance Demo car (AE86 project) cab32 15 16,609 03-24-2008 03:34 PM
Last Post: cab32