What engine do I want in my AE86?
03-10-2013, 10:15 PM
Skyracer Wrote:Thanks for answer.

First, Yes, the company will run the engine in bench/dyno to make sure their reputation is not damaged, since its a sponsor thing.

Hence my question about installation, my car is already running Red Top (from fwd corolla GTI) so it should be easy putting in a Black Top?

I think their budget is about 2000 Euro for an engine in this sponsor deal. A Tec-Art engine for 20000 Euro is not realistic haha Wink

And YES haha since my car is THAT kind of car, why run anything else than 4AGE and not preserving the AE86 legacy? Like a 4AGZE just seem wrong in that car. And I already have a Skyline so Im not after a power monster. I want the 4AGE sound and history in my car. Thumbs up!

I dont want to run a racing engine, it has to be fairly cheap to maintain and be a daily-driver-car with a spin on the track day occasionaly.

But if I want a Black Top, what do I tell them to buy when they contact their dealer in Japan? Any old Black Top will do? Any specific model? Year?

Regards
HÃ¥kan

BT is your choice. YES, a tuned 16V can be more powerful, but no low end power and high fuel consumption. For a street car the BT is a better 150-155bhp. (Its NOT 165)

AE86 GT - SR20DET BlackTop //// Trackday beater
Citroen C4 Coupe VTR - 1.6HDi //// Streetcar
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-10-2013, 10:51 PM
my blacktop did 168bhp at the crank,ahh well in 2005 it did....many horses died in the last few years haha Thumbs up!

put a decent v8 in it!

drift ae86:308bhp/435nmEDIT:384pk/498nm!!!!>now DEATH)))
Find all posts by this user
03-11-2013, 03:45 PM
Why not put a 4AGZE in...stick a big pulley on it and 180 ish HP all day long...no lag and the noise the charger makes i'd have over TBs everyday!
03-11-2013, 05:00 PM
1UZFE! But then again I'm biased... For the money to drop a 20v in... I'd go with a Beams, or a V8. The 20v to me is not worth the money or the headache.
03-11-2013, 05:04 PM
Not legal to put in many countries that kind of engines..
03-11-2013, 05:05 PM
or if you already have a redtop, build a bigport head, throw some decent cams in it, run some itbs, and be content with a nice strong motor that will be reliable and fun and make around 165 at the wheels... this is the same power your Blacktop will do. My bastard motor(redtop bottom end, bluetop head and TVIS intake) made 140 at the wheels on stock bluetop cams. I ran a retuned maf and an auto MR2 ecu with the TVIS always open.
03-11-2013, 05:25 PM
Why would he downgrade to a bigport head?

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
03-11-2013, 05:29 PM
McKenney Wrote:or if you already have a redtop, build a bigport head, throw some decent cams in it, run some itbs, and be content with a nice strong motor that will be reliable and fun and make around 165 at the wheels... this is the same power your Blacktop will do. My bastard motor(redtop bottom end, bluetop head and TVIS intake) made 140 at the wheels on stock bluetop cams. I ran a retuned maf and an auto MR2 ecu with the TVIS always open.

So you made 30whp over stock by doing what exactly ?

An analogue brain in a digital World
03-11-2013, 05:41 PM
McKenney Wrote:or if you already have a redtop, build a bigport head, throw some decent cams in it, run some itbs, and be content with a nice strong motor that will be reliable and fun and make around 165 at the wheels... this is the same power your Blacktop will do. My bastard motor(redtop bottom end, bluetop head and TVIS intake) made 140 at the wheels on stock bluetop cams. I ran a retuned maf and an auto MR2 ecu with the TVIS always open.

What? As said before, why downgrade a Redtop? Huh
03-11-2013, 05:49 PM
I had a Redtop(AE92) bottom end, with all stock AE86 bluetop top end, TVIS eliminated, readjusted MAF(USDM car), an AW11 automatic ECU(better fuel mapping in the midrange, makes up for TVIS being eliminated), timing was set 20 degrees initial advance, TRD header, Buddy Club II exhaust. at 7800 rev limit was still pulling begging for more. The reason I ran this setup this way was my motor popped a head gasket and toasted bearings in the process. A friend GAVE me a redtop. Since I didn't have the adapter for bigport intake to smallport head, I swapped a rebuilt bigport head on and new OEM cams.

I have been building engines for 23 years now, yes the smallport has a very active port, but no matter what, the bigport will flow more air. It's not a downgrade. The more air you can get into and out of an engine, the more power you'll make. This is basic engine knowledge.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  toyota a series engine....can a fwd corolla engine be used 210 datsun guy 5 7,658 10-30-2013 11:18 PM
Last Post: banpei
  stand alone ECU but i want to keep my rev clock williep12 28 26,164 08-25-2010 02:26 PM
Last Post: thanhngo
  Heat... I want some heat! amigaguy 8 8,880 09-29-2009 05:44 PM
Last Post: -Mister2-
  my hachi don't want to start... BOOMEX 8 6,302 01-11-2008 12:05 AM
Last Post: maggkrabar
  Want to yank some stuff off my car. Need help. sho_shane 11 8,352 07-02-2007 04:31 PM
Last Post: sho_shane