The side effects of underdrive pulley kits?
08-15-2005, 10:20 PM
Hi folks,

I am maybe going to order some new inner tierod ends for my hachi very soon as one of them has some play in it. I may end up ordering some of the ueo-style 'branded' ones so It may pay to get a few more bits at the same time.

One of the other things I am interested in is a lightweight underdrive pulley kit as I am hoping to get my engine overhauled soon and makes sense to do at this point. Maybe like these

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - The side effects of underdr...lley kits?]

I know they are often lighter and lead to less mass the the engine to drive - but I also believe they can alter the gearing of some of the ancillaries on the engine - in these cases maybe the alternator and water pump.

Does anyone have any experiences of running these on a 4AGE?

Regards Ian.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-15-2005, 10:45 PM
I dont know about running them on 4age's, but I've underdriven a old skool Triumph TR5 race car before by fitting a smaller crank pulley, It supposedly helps engine cooling at high speed, as the water pump was 'aireating (sp?)' the water, also adds maybe 1-2BHP at most, by reducing wasted power spinning the alternator, and W/pump, too fast . It did tend to over heat at idle, due to slower water pumping speed.

IMO the reduced weight, will do sweet FA, in increasing engine responce by reduced mass, if you want throttle responce loose 5kg off the flywheel, saving 100g at the pulley wont make any difference.

Maybe an Underdriven 'harmonic damper' pulley would be cool, as it helps dampen crank vibration, and helps an engine pull higher revs, safer, and with less vibration
Find all posts by this user
08-16-2005, 12:50 AM
Do NOT use these unless you're always driving above +-4k RPM.

Broken down 1984 Trueno HB
09-04-2005, 06:17 AM
DO NOT use at all.

When you replace the crank pulley on the nose of the crank, you remove the only form of harmonic dampening there is.

You can run a larger waterpump pulley to stop cavetation, but do not replace the front pulley.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4AGE overhaul kits/ Brian Crower stroker kit Lt86 1 3,801 06-13-2015 06:53 PM
Last Post: corolla4agze
  Crank pulley without harmonic damper Jan Pedersen 21 21,764 05-21-2014 09:50 AM
Last Post: Bean
  Effects of valve lift - worth it going higher? harkes 18 15,470 03-17-2014 09:21 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  The dark side totta Crolla 19 15,632 01-12-2013 01:51 AM
Last Post: [Walaki]D`Lair
  Is there anyway to LOCK the supercharger pulley on 4agZe ? Okami 6 5,395 07-06-2012 12:58 PM
Last Post: Okami