08-10-2005, 09:52 PM
TVIS?
Anyone know if it's better taking the TVIS out from the intake? Dumb question

AE86 FANATIC!!!
Find all posts by this user
08-10-2005, 10:27 PM
TVIS?
You can try it..... Smile

Just disconnect the vacumhose under the inlet manifold,it´s the one that connects lateral,on a small "vacum thing " Blush

I tryed it on mine when there was no turbo on it,and it completly lost the bottom end,but there are also cams in mine.

Regards,
Skassa

Any fool can go fast in a straight line.
VEMS Blacktop 4AGTE20V 272hp/350nm
"""www.turbotoys.dk"""
08-10-2005, 10:38 PM
TVIS?
The TVIS is there for a reason... To provide the engine with more torque in the low rpm´s - its there to stay :wink:
I have a dynoplot on the same engine with/without TVIS; as you can see, theres a small HP gain wich may come from the 2" exchaust but a NM drop wich im pretty sure is caused by the disconnected TVIS-system.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Youtube Myspace and I´ll Google your Yahoo
08-11-2005, 12:11 AM
TVIS?
You can remove it when you have aftermarket cams.

Broken down 1984 Trueno HB
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - TVIS?]
08-11-2005, 12:13 AM
TVIS?
Skassa had cams in his... I would keep the TVIS at anytime, its not there for fun (well it is, but you know what i mean) Tongue

08-11-2005, 08:27 AM
TVIS?
Now ,when runing turbo,i have removed them.

and it´s working great

Skassa

Any fool can go fast in a straight line.
VEMS Blacktop 4AGTE20V 272hp/350nm
"""www.turbotoys.dk"""
08-11-2005, 08:52 AM
TVIS?
Alimonos,

Very simple. We have 'big port' engines. Its all about flow. With N/A cars big ports and low RPM means bad airflow means bad power. The TVIS simply closes off part of the port making it in effect a very small port engine. This increases airflow (amongst others the speed of the air) making it possible to suck more air/fuel mixture into your engine, giving you more HP in the lowend.

So if you simply remove the TVIS all you do is get bad airflow on low RPM and a tiny little increase of airflow in the high RPMS (where the TVIS butterflies become an obstruction).

Different Cams do not solve this issue, they just give you more HP over the range making this situation less noticeable.

The newer 4AG engines are small port engines, meaning the ports are smaller to begin with giving a more ideal size for the whole RPM range. Thus the newer engines no longer need TVIS. But I recon that big port engines can theoretically produce more HP in the high end then the smallport engines can.

Denmarks remark about the turbo are also dead on. Because now air is not sucked into the engine but pushed into the engine, the bigger the ports the more fuel/air can get in there, the more HP you getSmile Only downside, at very low RPM you have low boost and you could end up with very little power for the first 1500 rpm.

Atleast, this is how I understand the theory anywaysWink I'm by no means an expertSmile

*edit* for rotary fans, the TVIS system is nearly the same principle as the 6 port system on our 13Bs Smile

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
08-12-2005, 09:30 PM
TVIS?
Thanks a lot men!!!
I was just thinking of removing it now i have the 262cams in to get more power at high rpms and better idle working Dumb question

AE86 FANATIC!!!
08-12-2005, 09:40 PM
TVIS?
thats about the firdst thing i did to my car - was to remove the T-Vis.

the ones of you guys that have heard my engine roar, will tell the others that it´s working perfectly.

I would say that it would be different gain/loss of power with 10 exactly the same engines.

No´two engines are the same - even if built bu the same guy to the same specs..

I´m sorry sir, your planet has been sceduled for destruction
in favor of an intergalactic highway -Thank you

Kristian Hesselmark, Sweden
EVO-DRIFT-STREET-DRAG-SHOW
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-12-2005, 10:15 PM
TVIS?
Kris, have you a dyno on your car before&after you removed the TVIS?

Removing the TVIS on a stock engine is pointless. My opinion it, that its just for those, who dont know what else to do to the engine.
And offcourse your engine roars perfectly, you cant hear if it lost a bit of tourqe or gained a bit of power. Its "roar" isnt caused by removing the TVIS, i can tell you for sure :wink:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Early tvis red top from e9 gti small or bigport? Ryo 3 6,977 04-20-2018 09:14 AM
Last Post: Ivan141
  20v silvertop exhaust manifold on 16v 2nd version tvis motor Apsogos 17 20,968 11-22-2012 11:15 PM
Last Post: Apsogos
  my tvis doesnt work... daywalker 30 44,775 02-19-2012 01:25 PM
Last Post: ZDoman
  technical asking about TVIS filh 4 5,654 02-27-2011 02:07 AM
Last Post: filh
  TVIS close ignition switch??? juantonwan 2 3,334 07-27-2010 12:17 AM
Last Post: totta Crolla