T50 to AZ6... a "new" option for gearbox issues
01-30-2007, 06:58 PM
The rear diff(6.7") is more stout then the T50... not by a lot... but enough. And in my case, I'm running a Richmond Racing 4.10 rear diff... quite a bit stouter then OEM. The MAIN reason I began this project was 2nd gear issues I've now had in two T50s. It is SOOOO easy to crunch 2nd.... and that is just operational problems.... the Road and Track quote STILL holds VERY true as well. The T50 is just not a performance based gearbox. It causes our cars to be slower.

Also, I don't actually have the specifics(they were on C4AG before it crashed) but each shift on an AZ6 from 7200 on the previous gear raises the next gears rpm engagement point.
1st at 7200, shift, rpm is at 4800 in 2nd(approx). 2nd at 7200, shift, rpm is at 5100 in 3rd.... and so on. Each shift moves the rpm band slightly higher, allowing for better acceleration in each successive gear.

This is being made to fit into our cars WITHOUT any cutting, or changinging of our cars what so ever!
The parts being developed are:
1) the adapter to close the AZ6 and accomodate a 4AG bell (see photo below... arrows indicate apprximate position of adapter)
2) the shifter section shortened by 8" so the shifter will fit through the stock shifter hole
3) a mechanical speedo drive to take the stock speedo cable
4) a trans mount that will fit the AZ6 and fit the STOCK cross member in the AE86
5) A shortened driveshaft with the AZ6 output yoke attached to the shortened driveshaft

banpei - as of this point it is a project... nothing is actually finished, other than the pattern to cast the adapter. BUT.... this project WAS designed for sale eventually..... that is why all the engineering is being done and not a quick slap/weld job like the photo below. I'm spending my money at this point to develop another option for our beloved cars. if you still would like me to PM you, I will...

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - T50 to AZ6... a "n...box issues]

Dan -

You can |Sad .... OR you can ask for help!!!

OST Porting service - http://hachiroku.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19991
Find all posts by this user
01-30-2007, 07:07 PM
oldeskewltoy
Cool project you got there.

Its nice to be able to follow a development like this.

As for banpei's remark, we've got some rules about people selling parts as a business on the board. This thread is going to be interesting but a little bit borderlining those rules. But I don't see a reason why we should make a problem out of it. Its going to be way to interesting, just don't turn it into a sales pitchBig Grin

When you're ready to sell these kits to the community let us know and we'll set you up with rights to post in the commercial sales section. I'm not sure how many peeps are going to want to dish out this kinda money (esp with shipping costs and all added to it), but if you're seriously racing/drifting 4AGs it sounds like its worth some serious thought.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
01-30-2007, 07:08 PM
I am very curios I don't have a clue what the miata gearbox cost but if its that much better. ....

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
01-30-2007, 07:12 PM
Aha that clears things up abit. Apreciate the effort! But how are you gonna shorten the shifter section exactly?
01-30-2007, 07:41 PM
I DO understand the borderline... I will do my best to not muddy this.

Once it has been tested and it becomes available, I'll be more than happy to abide by any changes the MODS deem necessary.

The AZ6 sells for about $900.00 used here in the north west USA. It sells for similar prices around the USA, from what I've been told.

the shifter section of the case will get cut, and then about 8" of it will get removed, along with 8" of the shifter rod. The rod will be reinstalled, and the shifter housing welded closed. ONCE the adapter is made... this is the most costly part of the project, since each one will need to be hand done. It was discussed, and it may still go that way if there is enough demand.... and that is to recast the rear section so all that would be required to be done by hand is shortening the shifter rod.

Why don't I go for a whole drivetrain swap??? I don't know about you... but I LOVE my 4AGE, in my AE86.... I'm running about 112hp@ the wheels, my engine pulls smoothly and wonderfully from mid 2000s to redline. The sounds coming from under the hood and from the exhaust(Fujitsubo twin tip) are pure music..... why would I want something else???

There are tons of people who are swapping in 3SG, or KA24, or SR20, hell even a 1UZ!... but you lose something when you do that to the AE86... you lose the cars charachter.... I believe the AZ6 will ADD to the AE86's charachter....

Dan -

01-30-2007, 08:22 PM
oldeskewltoy Wrote:I DO understand the borderline... I will do my best to not muddy this.
Thats all we askSmile

oldeskewltoy Wrote:Why don't I go for a whole drivetrain swap??? I don't know about you... but I LOVE my 4AGE, in my AE86.... I'm running about 112hp@ the wheels, my engine pulls smoothly and wonderfully from mid 2000s to redline. The sounds coming from under the hood and from the exhaust(Fujitsubo twin tip) are pure music..... why would I want something else???
Owh man, thats one of the best quotes yet on this board! Thumbs up! Thumbs up!

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
01-30-2007, 11:49 PM
oldeskewltoy Wrote:The AZ6 sells for about $900.00 used here in the north west USA. It sells for similar prices around the USA, from what I've been told.

$900US just for the boxm then u need new tailshaft, clutch, fly wheel and so on

for $900us in ausstralia i can convert to w series box and that includes everything...

i still dont really see why you are doing this, but each to there own
01-31-2007, 02:10 AM
what is a w series box?
01-31-2007, 02:37 AM
"W" box were transmissions used in Supras and some of the trucks. VERY stout gearbox, also fits inside the AE86 tunnel. There is a guy I know in the Phillipines making the "W" to 4A bellhousing, there also might be adapters available in Europe (don't know what you folks have access too....)

Dan -

01-31-2007, 02:47 AM
W series box is in heaps of cars in aussie...Supra, Corona, some vans

and if u ever happen to break one u can go to the local wrecker and pick it up for 200$

You use a W5x to 4a bell housing which is readily avaliabe in aussie for around $350, then get a new clutch and flywheel and a one pieace tailshaft made... and your good to go... our best ae86 drifter uses one and pumps around 220rwkw through it from a turbod 20v and it never has a problem

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OST-026: "My White Hatch" oldeskewltoy 49 55,296 07-03-2014 11:56 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  Project "Roku-ju" TA60 Carina Motax 24 35,936 03-05-2014 10:21 AM
Last Post: Motax
  project "twin cam 16" another AE86... fax0815 11 17,061 11-19-2011 09:05 AM
Last Post: BOOMEX
  Supercharged Hachiroku "update" roadrunner 20 22,712 06-02-2011 03:27 AM
Last Post: kennedy8383
  4AGZE - REBUILD AE86 NYC's "Black Prophet" ae86driftmaster 25 35,893 02-19-2010 06:18 PM
Last Post: ae86driftmaster