T3 FULL coil over system (front and rear), who is using them
04-14-2010, 08:43 AM
I am about to order a T3 front and rear coilover system, and just want to check peoples experiences, specifically with the rears. Any issues with the clamp system supporting the sleeve? Or the mounting point on the diff housing after track use? I have spot welded the top sheet metal and plan to reinforce the lower mounting point, but just want peoples thoughts of actual users etc Cheers!
Find all posts by this user
04-14-2010, 09:23 AM
I have them on a stock chassis (which means both un-reinforced and heavy weight compared to a race car) with 250lbs springs. Full greek road use (big potholes...) on sports tyres (not too much grip there). In general I am satisfied, but I can say the following for the rear:

- There is an issue with the clearance from the upper spring hat to the chassis. I grinded at least 2mm but still it would touch.

- The adjustment on the rear agx's is not really doing much, compared to the front. That is probably because it doesn't affect the piston, but more likely a valve system outside the shaft chamber.

- There is noise from the spring since there aren't any helper springs to keep it in place when on rebound. And this will probably get worse with harder springs.

Other than those issues I'm satisfied for road use and the only things I would do is strengthen the rear mounting points (top and bottom just to be psychologically ok) and grind a bit more......(I take it for a fact you have an adjustable panhard rod)

SFD
04-14-2010, 09:42 AM
Im ok with the clearance Ill just grind more of the shroud away as you mention.

That doesnt sound good about the adjustment, I just if the springs are matched for purpose it should be ok as long as the basic valving is about right

Doesnt sound good on the noise from the spring, Im assuming you are meaning the spring loses captivity?

Yes have an adjustable panhard rod.

I am using them for dedicated track use.
04-14-2010, 10:08 AM
4000GT Wrote:Doesnt sound good on the noise from the spring, Im assuming you are meaning the spring loses captivity?

Yes.

I would recommend T3 for intermediate use. Road use with occasional track use.

If only for track use I would select something different, for instance k-sport, which is very adjustable, cheaper and of course monotube... (Or something expensive like Tein etc.)

SFD
04-14-2010, 10:11 AM
I have them as well.
So far no troubles regarding the mounting points..no apocalypse, no earth opening up and swallowing me as all the internet experts have ensured me would happen. Its not that strange if you look at the loads -> they don't change much.

The tops need more clearance, something T3 used to write in their installation manuals. No biggy.

AGX shocks -> rubbish. One adjuster doesn't work anymore, but its not that much of a problem since the other adjuster doesn't seem to influence damping by any considerable amount.
I would HIGHLY recommend switching over to tokico HTS at the added expense of what, 200$? That is one investment you won't regret.

Rattling springs are not a problem for me. If they rattle you should run longer springs or shorter shocks. This is mostly a problem for the slammed crowd though.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
04-14-2010, 10:17 AM
Nothing like rear world experience eh... did you make any reinforcements? I will just for the sake and ease of it.

Are you using HTS shocks now? How do they adjust? Same as the AGX?

Mine is on 13" rims and track use so will be low, but not on the ground!
04-14-2010, 10:26 AM
The longer springs at the same spring rate and ride height will only change the position of the adjustable bottom spring hat. The fact that the spring will disengage at rebound will not change... Unless you use a very soft spring that will require pretensioning to keep the ride height setting. (like stock)

SFD
04-14-2010, 10:27 AM
PS interesting that Gabe at T3 rave about the quality of the AGX bang for buck when compared to the HTS, and that the HTS has a limited shock meaning very low or slammed height?
04-14-2010, 10:51 AM
Same setup here, daily driver, no chassis reinforcements, full T3 front and rear, Prothane bushings all around. The top clearance issues at the rear solved with hammering. Started using the kit with 195mm Eibach 5kg rear, 6kg front, it's a bit too hard for everyday use in Budapest (I bet we have larger potholes than Greece Big Grin). The rear springs are really short so helper springs are necessary. I've no problem with the AGXs, despite the rear adjustement looks like an on/off switch, the second position just a little bit softer than the 4th, but for everyday use the 1st pos. looks OK, enough travel, fairly linear compression and rebound.

Because of the stiffness and lenght issues, ordered 4pcs of 210mm Tanabe 4kg springs for $15 each Big Grin last autumn (more-japan has crazy sales sometime), just installed it two weeks ago. It feels great at the rear, but the softness in the front causing problems with the ride height for me. (I'm using 15x6.5 ET21 Supras with 2cm spacer with 195/45 because of my brake setup, I need to be very careful with the height otherwise rubbing the fender.

I'll try to change to fronts back to the Eibach, the 5kg/mm this time, but definitely will keep the 4kg/mm Tanabe at the back.

http://www.ae86.hu
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-14-2010, 10:53 AM
As much as i remember, AGX have just few mm longer stroke, not really a difference.

If you plan to go coilover adjustable on the rear real difference is that you can not put coil over HTS damper, as you can over AGX.
Or it is not advisable. This comes from T3.

You still can have adjustable height with sleeves under standard ID springs mounted on axle.
It won't be 2.5" ID springs which really are cheapest and have best availability, but if you don't plan to change them often TRD/Swifts and many others are great choice.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Smallport coil totta Crolla 2 1,336 08-12-2022 11:03 AM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  How to test coil with igniter DJexor 2 6,996 03-22-2018 10:01 AM
Last Post: Project D
  What suspension set up are people using? kazi 8 7,445 07-06-2017 05:26 AM
Last Post: headrush
  Over heating issues MIGGZFSU 12 10,353 05-11-2017 05:09 PM
Last Post: MIGGZFSU
  Stack display system, need help Jimmi The Kid 1 3,822 01-15-2017 10:52 PM