Sway Bar ??
05-08-2010, 05:04 PM
Sway Bar ??
I have an AE86 that I daily, and drive fun roads and drift every so often. - I have Tockio 5-way adjustable shocks and I am getting some Espelir ASD springs. I am also replacing the bushings with urethane on control arm and sway end links.

What is the benefit for a bigger sway bar, say 25MM?
Find all posts by this user
05-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Sway Bar ??
it make's your chassis more stiff ---> less body roll

more tail happy @ rear swaybar or more understeer @ front swaybar...

'87 levin coupé
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Sway Bar ??]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-08-2010, 09:37 PM
Sway Bar ??
Swaybars are just springs that only work during roll and not when only one wheel moves by itself.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
05-08-2010, 09:53 PM
Sway Bar ??
You get more understeer by changing the front swaybar?

Kp62 - 135hp
Ae86 - 135hp
C32 Laurel - 440hp
C32 Laurel - 125hp

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Sway Bar ??]
05-08-2010, 11:59 PM
Sway Bar ??
NoHachi Wrote:Swaybars are just springs that only work during roll and not when only one wheel moves by itself.

So it is mostly just feel preference? When is it a good idea to upgrade the sway bar?

As I mentioned, I have Tockicos and I am getting new springs. Should I do the sway bar too for my driving?

The stock one is 21mm right? So would a 25mm make much difference?
05-09-2010, 12:31 AM
Sway Bar ??
swaybars really do have effect. they transfer forces from one side to the other, for example if the right side wheel wants to go up the swaybur tries to force the left wheel up, its fixed to the chasis so it also forcing the chassis not to roll when turning. thicker swaybar at the front will make your car more understeered, thicker rear swaybar makes your car more oversteered afaik. so just change the rear waybar for a stronger one for casual drifting.
look it up on the intarwebs for more!
05-09-2010, 02:18 AM
Sway Bar ??
Lajoosh Wrote:swaybars really do have effect. they transfer forces from one side to the other, for example if the right side wheel wants to go up the swaybur tries to force the left wheel up, its fixed to the chasis so it also forcing the chassis not to roll when turning. thicker swaybar at the front will make your car more understeered, thicker rear swaybar makes your car more oversteered afaik. so just change the rear waybar for a stronger one for casual drifting.

So ideally the car is setup from the factor to neither understeer or oversteer. - Thicker in the front understeers and thicker in the back oversteers.

So would thicker in the front and thicker in the back basically do nothing? Or would it keep it on the stock trajectory without under or over steering, and help the roll resistance?
05-09-2010, 08:41 AM
Sway Bar ??
juantonwan Wrote:So ideally the car is setup from the factor to neither understeer or oversteer. - Thicker in the front understeers and thicker in the back oversteers.

So would thicker in the front and thicker in the back basically do nothing? Or would it keep it on the stock trajectory without under or over steering, and help the roll resistance?

yes, about that. oversteer/understeer dependant on the rate between them. there are also other factors that affect handling us/os, steering, front wheels geometry...
05-09-2010, 09:23 AM
Sway Bar ??
juantonwan Wrote:
Lajoosh Wrote:swaybars really do have effect. they transfer forces from one side to the other, for example if the right side wheel wants to go up the swaybur tries to force the left wheel up, its fixed to the chasis so it also forcing the chassis not to roll when turning. thicker swaybar at the front will make your car more understeered, thicker rear swaybar makes your car more oversteered afaik. so just change the rear waybar for a stronger one for casual drifting.

So ideally the car is setup from the factor to neither understeer or oversteer. - Thicker in the front understeers and thicker in the back oversteers.

No, thicker front and rear would do something. Think about what the sway bars are doing in a physics sense. if it was only ever about differential, then why have any bars at all...
05-09-2010, 11:46 AM
Sway Bar ??
Wise advice common in car setup: Always make one change at a time!

First throw in the espelirs..You won't need the extra bars since that car will be on the bumpstops anyway and those have plenty of roll resistance.

It will give you the sporty feel and look you are looking for.

If you want to have something that drives better, just do the swaybars and leave the springs alone. Drive around on that and save up for a shortstroke setup to dump the car correctly.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bash bar for zenki trueno bumper gh0st 3 839 02-08-2023 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ivan141
  What bar is it? FanIsHere 7 6,179 10-20-2018 12:14 PM
Last Post: FanIsHere
  Front Anti Roll Bar for Beams Swap KD2229 5 5,735 09-20-2011 10:04 AM
Last Post: Aram
  OEM sway bar thickness ?? T_AE86 5 10,836 08-07-2011 04:05 PM