Reinforcement for the AE86...
09-13-2006, 08:19 PM
I dont like the way that Ueo bar mounts either, surely it would go OUTSIDE your bumper? And that would suck. Im sure Ueo doesnt use any of these parts.. lol.

But structuraly, its too far forward of where i would make my bar, and i would like to incorperate it into the tension rod mounting points aswell to make it all one stiff unit. So in conclusion, im thinking that Ueo bar is garbage. Making your own has gotta be the way.

Driftworks - JSPFab.com - DangerStyle - NightSpirit
Find all posts by this user
09-13-2006, 09:19 PM
But don't the tension rods mount to the chassis bar seen in the picture? Looks pretty solid to me..If you do deside to do something along these lines, why not go dual function and fabricate an sump protection plate/underbody tray/chassis brace out of alloy? would make more sense to me..

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
09-13-2006, 09:45 PM
Stick your arms out in front of you
alternately move them up and down like a robot.
thats what happens to stock chassis legs under cornering, drifting etc.
The bar it would seem aims to stop this and improve "torsional rigidity".
However it woudl still mean the front legs will move up and down together if there is any play there.

http://www.skynet.ie/~eireae86
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-13-2006, 11:31 PM
But there is a huge bar already there. Its right there in the picture! About 10 cm's behind the UEO bar and twice as thick! Also look at the way it meets the chassis legs in a rounded fashion. This is necessary to help absorb the concentration of torque and aid in stiffness...

I haven't driven a car with it mounted, but I would be very suprised to notice any change beyond the added weight and bling factor.

09-14-2006, 08:29 AM
I still think adding a very solid bar between the chassis legs in front of the design crumple points is asking for trouble in an accident.

An 86 is for Life, not just for Christmas
09-14-2006, 10:10 AM
Eircamae86 Wrote:I still think adding a very solid bar between the chassis legs in front of the design crumple points is asking for trouble in an accident.

It is...

http://www.skynet.ie/~eireae86
09-16-2006, 01:23 AM
NoHachi Wrote:But there is a huge bar already there. Its right there in the picture! About 10 cm's behind the UEO bar and twice as thick! Also look at the way it meets the chassis legs in a rounded fashion. This is necessary to help absorb the concentration of torque and aid in stiffness...

That part of the car isnt very strong at all, its a thin walled box section that isnt even a "box" by definition of the word, which all detracts from the strength of it. Ive had a chat with Shinji Minowa about this and he showed me what he has done etc to help add the extra little bit of rigidity. His bar mounts much further down, right below the box section i speak of, and uses the Towing hitch bolts to mount it, if i remember correctly. (you know, the 3 bolts that hold the OEM tow eyes on).

Also, while we are on the subject adding to my theory about adding a brace the Tension rod mounts aswell is because they arent exactly super strong either, in terms of side to side movement. (I discovered this while fitting some aftermarket tension rods)

Driftworks - JSPFab.com - DangerStyle - NightSpirit
09-16-2006, 09:36 AM
tension rod braces are available pretty commonly...but I dunno if they work well..basically just a bar between the 2 mounts, not connected to the chassis in any way I think.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
10-03-2006, 09:13 PM
How thick steel have you guys been using to make the engine bay reinforcements?

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Reinforcement for the AE86...]
Always remember: Rev it till it blows, then back off a bit...
Zenkis - Orange, Red/Black, Silver/Black, Maroon/Blue
Koukis - Red, Silver/Gray,
04-14-2007, 11:31 AM
Just thought I'd add this link to the Opera - garage S2000 car to this discussion.

The attention to detail on this car..its just...mind boggling. Every nook and cranny of this S2000 is filled with stuff to inspire those who want to make their hachi more efficient.

It also clearly shows exactly what sort of work is necessary to reduce the weight of a car with 25% percent. I've heard some pretty wild stories fly around these forums, so now you can see approx what it will take to reduce the weight of an AE86 to 700kg.

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/featur...onda_s2000

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rollcage and chasis reinforcement gangstarr 9 9,046 05-11-2006 09:10 PM
Last Post: SekiguchiUeno