Rear axle knocking sound
09-23-2006, 06:15 PM
Rear axle knocking sound
Hey Guys,

Okay I got another weird one on the rear axle, since last few days on decelleration I sometimes hear a rear knocking sound coming from the rear axle. Sounds like somethings loose.

I drove past the Toyota dealer and had a brief look at it with a mechanic and we concluded it didn't seem to be anything serious, we reckoned at a time that it was caused by a missing clip retaining my brake line and it was just banging against the bracket holding it in place (or maybe the exhaust banging against something). Since I'm going in for an MOT comming Thursday we desided to take a closer look then, but I figured I might take a closer look this weekend.

I already replaced the clip on the brake line but that hasn't fixed my problem so that wasn't it. The other thing I'm thinking about is that it might be my wheel aint properly tightened. I had this problem before on both my DeLorean and my AE that if you don't tighten the lugnuts correct or if the brake disk isn't flat against the hub when you tighten the lugnuts it will also make a banging sound on decelleration. But again that doesn't seem to be the case this time, allthough I haven't ruled it out because I haven't had access to a proper lift yet..

Any other suggestions what I should look at?? Thing is, this problem is not constant, I drove from home to Amersfoort and back which is about 150 to 200 km trip and I only heard the knocking sound 2ce in the trip. Really mistifying me. Freaking me out due to the damn MOT Big Grin

(good news is that I figured my rear tires still have enough profile, not bad for 2 year old tires (shame on you Bas, not enough drifting done!) )

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
Find all posts by this user
09-23-2006, 06:50 PM
Rear axle knocking sound
Mux, check all the bolts around the rear brake callipers. If one gets loose these can start to move around and such..might be the problem.
Also check al suspension arm bushes to make sure that one doesn't pop out.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
09-23-2006, 06:52 PM
Rear axle knocking sound
mux you are going to love me

but that is exactly how my diff sounded before i destroyed the crown wheel and pinnion

the other possability is the disc is knackered and is flapping about, at first i thought that was the problem so i replaced it and problem was till there Sad
09-23-2006, 07:33 PM
Rear axle knocking sound
Nohachi,

Already checked, everything seems to be right in order..

Trueno, disk looks fine, already had the wheels off.. Disks are also pretty much brand new so...

Allthough I am still not ruling out I didn't properly tighten stuff up somehow but that is it somehow jammed in such a way I can't notice it. It's hard to really test it out without a lift as the wheels aint free off the ground and I can't find my good jack anywhere (I think its in the rx7 or I lended it out to someone..) and my little toyota jack sucks..

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

09-23-2006, 07:46 PM
Rear axle knocking sound
have you check your sway bar connection to the bottom of the car?In the past i had a "nocking" noise with that
09-23-2006, 07:48 PM
Rear axle knocking sound
Hmm, good one, I'll check those aswell when I get the chance.. Can't imagine them being loose but you never know Big Grin

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

09-23-2006, 08:04 PM
Rear axle knocking sound
It depends on how you describe a knocking sound... Dumb question
I already drive my car with a knocking sound since I bought it. Still haven't figured out what it is... Confused
My knocking sounds more like a loose thing or so... Like a caliper knocking on the axle or something. But I checked about 10 times already and nothing is loose. Huh
It also olny happens when I drive in third at aproximately 45 to 50km/h and keeping the pace steady.

Anyway, I'll let you hear it when I come by next tuesday. Wink

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Rear axle knocking sound]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-23-2006, 08:23 PM
Rear axle knocking sound
Sure thingBig Grin

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AE86 rear axle weight megabob 11 17,027 03-29-2024 11:18 AM
Last Post: FanIsHere
  Axle width totta Crolla 1 707 10-24-2023 12:20 PM
Last Post: FanIsHere
  Rear axle options Dino86 13 11,556 01-08-2018 10:19 PM
Last Post: ditn
  Rebuild rear disc brakes toyota crown ms112 axle bozu 0 3,548 12-21-2016 09:37 PM
Last Post: bozu
  wider rear axle,track width,suspension questions ditn 6 7,644 10-18-2016 11:50 AM
Last Post: fantapants