Ivan's coupe: roof stuccowork
02-03-2023, 10:07 AM
that actually looks pretty good!
Find all posts by this user
02-11-2023, 07:37 PM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2023 07:40 PM by Ivan141.)
Another boring update, ticket some more small stuff off the todo list:

Found the plastic clips that hold the firewall padding in place. I'm missing one but something is better than nothing. Might try to whip one up with the 3d printer.
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Ivan's coupe: roof stuccowork]

My passenger door was the only thing to remain bare metal after blasting for a few years and has recently begun rusting so I had to put a stop to that.

Brushed off all the surface rust and gave it a coat of Brunox. Redid the seam sealant. If it looks like the sealant was applied by a monkey on quaaludes that would be because my tube had seized up on me and I had to cut it open and apply it with my fingers.

Sprayed the inside in epoxy primer. Bit quick after the fresh seam seal job but it should be possible in theory. Keeping rust at bay was more important.

I also cleaned and primered the hood hinges and my driveshaft. The latter came painted in some rather crappy black paint from the shop that did the alignment and balancing so I had to redo it properly.

Still got 2/3rds of a month to go until bodywork can resume so I'm thinking crappy minor jobs time till then.
-Need to get 2 drill marks on my crankshaft brazed so I can fit a repair sleeve and have the 4age ready for the engine shop.
-Could give some parts of the wiring harness a quick refresh (clean it up, perhaps fit some snazzy sleeving since I have it lying around).
-Continue work on the interior panel upholstery.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-13-2023, 12:06 PM
very nice job done!

Gtsi-R

"Trust me, I was an engineer"
"straight lines are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers"
02-25-2023, 10:59 PM (This post was last modified: 02-25-2023 11:01 PM by Ivan141.)
Keeping busy in the shed with the small stuff in anticipation of another big push in the month to come. Just crossing of whatever I can on my todo list.

Drill some drainage holes in the repaired door bottom (still need to do the other door):

Destroyed some weird spacer pads on the hood hinges while wirewheeling them clean. One of those little things that end up taking more effort to put right than you would hope.
Cut some new ones out of a cork/neoprene gasket sheet I bought specifically for this.

Spotted these side insulation inserts for the kick panels, they were the only things I had left of the original insulation padding. Had some of the new material left, so in for a penny, in for a pound:

Comparison new/old for shits and giggles. The new one has a layer of acoustic foam glued to it. Thickness is about 2 to 2,5 times OEM.

Did the same acoustic foam layer for the firewall padding:

The other little project I've been working on is staying a surprise for a while until the car starts getting put together.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
02-26-2023, 09:42 PM
That will surely make your car nice and quiet! Thumbs up!
I'm curious what your little surprise will be! Confused

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
02-27-2023, 09:33 AM
looks good! nice progression.
what's the weight difference?
02-27-2023, 07:34 PM
It's a bit heavier, not gonna lie. But I'm at the age where I favor good noise insulation over low weight.
Hard to tell how much the total difference would be since I don't have all of the old padding.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Pixel 4a met Tapatalk

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
03-03-2023, 09:30 PM
Damn that is some awesome work!

Reminds me i need to update my own lol Big Grin

Be well!
03-05-2023, 09:29 PM
I had another go at my nightmare passenger door yesterday (warped to shit from sandblasting). Had to concede my loss, I just couldnt shrink the oilcanning out of it however much I tried. In the end I cut my losses and welded metal strips to the back of the doorskin to support it against buckling. That door was never going to be a looker anyway. May need to consider saving up for replacement (carbon seems nice, but can you fit windows and mechanisms?).

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
03-12-2023, 10:41 PM
So, here's why I need a better passenger door:

Chasing my tail trying to get the oil canning out ended up shrinking the whole middle of the door down but not getting rid of the plopping. Hence the strips of metal on the inside.

Since for the foreseable future I do not own any better door we pressed on with sculpting a door shape with bondo.
It will resemble a door, but magnets will no longer stick to large areas of it so I will have to kill whoever slams it shut too hard.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Front end roof compatibility between 2dr and 3dr Dochka 11 12,035 01-12-2014 05:50 PM
Last Post: fax0815