Igniter Rewiring Question! Help Is Needed!
04-08-2008, 03:07 AM
Okay I have confused myself over and over again with this problem so I hope someone can help me out here. I Have posted this also on Club4AG.

I hate to sound like a Noob or something but this is racking my brain to where I give up...

Okay here is the scoop. I need to know if this is possible and how to get it to work..

I [u:f8b5f3f54d]had[/u:f8b5f3f54d] a USDM 16 valve in my Ae86 GTS and the motor was blown. I just transplanted a Japanese blue top "MAPed" Motor ( from the looks of the ECU pin outs its a Zenki? Not sure if that matters or not. ) However the Igniter was cut off between the plug and the igniter ( I never got the JDM igniter ) Now.. I have a USDM Blue top Igniter but it has an extra plug and wires. Is there anyone that knows if the US one can be rewired to work with the JDM harness? and How do i do this? What goes where?

I have heard mixxed statements from different people that you can and cant do this?.....
I have look and searched on here and the posts are not helping as far as I can tell..

My Japanese Market parts importer has been working along side with me to find a Japanese Igniter but no luck.. Do I just need to find a MAPed Igniter does anyone have one? Im currently brain dead on the problem and need some help...

If pics of anything is needed just ask..
Find all posts by this user
04-08-2008, 11:56 PM
Unfortunately it seems that the USDM igniter cannot be used on a MAP 4A-GE as the method of ignition control is quite different. The AFM engine uses the simpler VAST system where the distributor triggers the spark directly and is overridden by the ECU to produce advance. In the ESA system used on MAP engines, the igniter is always triggered by the ECU and the igniter only controls coil dwell.

This document has some pretty useful information on the two different ignition systems used on early EFI Toyotas;

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h23.pdf

I'm pretty sure that the japanese bluetop igniter is the same as the one used here in Europe so maybe someone here has an extra one? You'll be needing a part that looks like this;

http://www.r5r.net/tmp/IMG_5781.JPG
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-09-2008, 01:15 AM
Thank you so much! That helped alot.

Yah that is what I need. I have the Round coil that is under the Igniter So im guessing I just need the Igniter. I will Contact a Dealer in the US that I think can get me one but im having my doubts. So if there is anyone that has one feel free to let me know.

*** Found One. I Think. ***
Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help needed totta Crolla 3 3,419 05-15-2020 10:07 AM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  Some wiring help needed DJexor 5 4,880 05-18-2019 01:50 PM
Last Post: DJexor
  Help needed: is it 1 way or 1.5way LSD Dino86 2 3,287 05-17-2019 09:08 AM
Last Post: Ivan141
  How to test coil with igniter DJexor 2 7,027 03-22-2018 10:01 AM
Last Post: Project D