Ian.G's Track/Drift Levin.
07-03-2008, 08:23 PM
Howdy folks,

no updates but there will be this weekend. Cool

Its not a million miles from being ready to come home now. The paintwork is all finished (it was fully repainted - again). The exhaust and manifold are being constructed as I speak.

I'm going to spend a day at the fabricators working on the car to tie up all the little loose ends really (plus bolting the boring stuff back together).

I believe there is not much for them left to do after the exhaust - just some alu brackets welding on to the rad, a header tank making, some alu water lines, lightweight windows to go back in etc. and then it will be time to come home and get wired up. Hurray!

I also got shot of my skyline a few weeks ago and replaced it with something a bit more refined for every day :wink: I was at croft doing a trackday last sunday and the new car was a bit sloppy in the handling department by comparison to the R32 - but - the car new doesn't shake your teeth out on long journeys - its a lovely place to be sitting thats for sure and just as fast.

I am upset that Paz's car is moving on - I've only driven it once since the conversion and its quite a different animal to the 4AGE thats for sure Huh - whoever gets that car is getting a bargin. I know I've not taken the cheapest route in doing my conversion and the costs have become somewhat *insane* LOL. Still - its just like a completely new car now - bar the old 'C reg' number plate.

Regards Ian.
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Ian.G's Track/Drift Levin.]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-03-2008, 10:37 PM
Ian.G Wrote:I also got shot of my skyline a few weeks ago and replaced it with something a bit more refined for every day :wink: I was at croft doing a trackday last sunday and the new car was a bit sloppy in the handling department by comparison to the R32 - but - the car new doesn't shake your teeth out on long journeys - its a lovely place to be sitting thats for sure and just as fast.

Hmm, sounds interesting... What is it? Dumb question

JapanPower

UoP Racing website
UoP Racing videos

Racing, because football, basketball, tennis & golf only require ONE ball....
07-03-2008, 11:13 PM
Really looking forward to seeing the Toyonda be put back together now... It's the most exciting part of all, not least for you after such a long wait, Ian!

It's so cool to have a brand new condition AE86! There's a real sense of satisfaction in knowing the car's as good as you can make it, fully working right down to the last little thing...

Looking forward to seeing the details of it going back together again, followed by some decent videos of how it drives. Maybe get an "unknown" person (The Stig, ha!) to take it for a proper drive on some country roads and show what it's like... :wink:

And show us the cheesy grin on your face as work progresses Big Grin

VISIT OUR NEW WEBSITES!!!!
A Tuner's Paradise
Automotive Art On Film
Dedication To Automotive Perfection

Japan Office Tel - (Calls charged at UK National Rate): 0207-193-3979.
Mobile (Japan): +81- (0) 90-4133-3825 Fax (Japan): +81-(0) 47-307-4678
07-04-2008, 08:39 AM
Nearly there Ian, hang in there she'll be worth it Big Grin

Paz's car is going? Did I miss something?

I'm currently taking HRT ~ Hachi Roku Therapy Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
07-07-2008, 05:38 PM
Nothing much to see on my last visit bar the start of my exhaust collectors

I'll be back on saturday so hopefully a bit more to see.

Regards Ian.
07-07-2008, 10:10 PM
Quality Big Grin

07-08-2008, 08:56 AM
looks promising!! Cool

5/2018 BMW F22 Coupe
1/1985 Toyota AE86 Levin Coupe
07-12-2008, 06:51 PM
Collectors started

I've gone for 1 vacuum source to power the brake booster so the very back runner has had a boss placed on the underside and its been tapped and a nipple (oo0oer) installed. This will run to the one-way valve on the brake booster line...no need to bother with the golden eagle vac tank I purchased....only $22 so no real bother.

The F20 cylinder head has a water jacket that runs behind the inlet manifold...and only a water outlet right at the very back (well...technically 2 as one goes to the heater matrix too). The back part of the manifold has had the boss tapped out to accomodate the water temp sensor that sits at the back of the stock manifold. The front of the manifold has also been tapped so we can get better water movement - its just waiting for the -3 union and fixings to arrive and then this will run back to the top of the water header tank Thumbs up!.

Next job was to assemble the ITBs so the manifold can be dropped onto the motor in one piece. All o-rings on injectors re-checked and dropped into the fuel rail...each throttle body was then dropped onto the manfold and the linkages alligned (they will need to be balanced before mapping so no point in trying to do it now).

You'll also notice (or maybe not lol) the bolt-on water outlet has been cut off leaving only the boss. This is because the std item has 1 main outlet and another for the heater matrix...I have no need for such luxuries so its being replaced with a single flared outlet for the rad.

The throttle linkage on #2 itb also had to be modified - its slightly longer on 1 side and this would fowl the airbox if left. It was buzzed off and reshaped a little.

Next job was the airbox back plate, a template was made from the bolt holes on the manifold and drilled. The inlet holes could not be measured from the manifold as they taper down from the opening of the throttle body. The correct size holes were added and it was cut like so.

Next job was to bolt up the trumpets :smokin:

Inlet gasket dropped back onto the engine and the whole inlet assembly bolted up.

At this point I had a nice cup of tea and drooled for a bit :smokin:

Here is a rough idea of how low the engine is in the car - and the HUGE amount of scope for longer trumpets and airbox. If I go too long the ITG sausage I have to sit on the end will fowl the strut brace...I'm not so sure I need it anyway as the shell is much stiffer now anyway. Plus I still have the Nagisa turret to bulkhead braces installed and the sweeps-spec Gacchiri braces behind the wings.

I guess thats about it for now....iccle bit closer.

Regards Ian.
07-12-2008, 06:54 PM
Roku_trueno Wrote:Hmm, sounds interesting... What is it? Dumb question

its a bmw - not as much fun as the R32 - but better on work journeys thats for sure.

Regards Ian.
07-12-2008, 07:52 PM
Looking good Ian, coming along nicely Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Track AE86 Build from south america Nurburgring 3 7,701 10-30-2013 07:31 PM
Last Post: BOOMEX
  Ae86 Levin drift project. filip.alin 7 9,105 01-20-2013 03:05 PM
Last Post: filip.alin
  86er's Track rebuild N2.??? Finally an update page 8 86er 191 246,007 03-25-2012 10:05 AM
Last Post: bozu
  (AUS) 8age trueno track monster! green_boy_91 48 53,758 02-22-2010 01:47 PM
Last Post: green_boy_91
  KP61: The track fridge 127 Boy 20 28,724 01-04-2010 01:02 AM
Last Post: The Doctor