Ian.G's Track/Drift Levin.
01-24-2008, 10:07 AM
Hi Robo,

should be getting painted this week. It may even be done right now.
I will give them a ring today and see if anything has happened.

I can really see this thing taking shape now Hurray! its not too hard to imagine it becoming a car again very very soon.

Regards Ian.
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Ian.G's Track/Drift Levin.]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-24-2008, 12:42 PM
Ian, amongst all the other bits I haven't spotted if you've got your manifold sorted yet? I'm probably just being dumb and have missed it, but I wondered if they came good with a design for you that flows well enough to not restrcit anything? Smile

English dude in NZ. Photographer. Noob. Tall.
01-25-2008, 10:09 AM
manipula Wrote:I'm probably just being dumb and have missed it, but I wondered if they came good with a design for you that flows well enough to not restrcit anything? Smile

I did have a manifold - but I sold it.

RS Fabrications are now making the full system for the car. Here is an example of a manifold they made for a different car - they have some very good skills.

bit more progress on my shell too - you can now see the completed tunnel from the inside of the car Thumbs up!

Interior and engine bay should be painted by tomorrow

Regards Ian.
01-25-2008, 10:23 AM
Wahoo! The manifold you show there looks very impressive actually. I'm presuming for something as well thought out as the F20C you're getting into specifics about equal length headers and all that sort of complex pipe bending and routing. A well done performance manifold never ceases to amaze me with the sheer knowledge and technique that goes into making one.

And regarding the interior, are you leaving it painted bare metal or putting some carpet/sound deadening in? From that photo the fabrication on the tunnel certainly looks better than the one on the Best Motoring video... Smile

English dude in NZ. Photographer. Noob. Tall.
01-25-2008, 04:28 PM
Yes,

I already have the optimal lengths and diameters for the primaries on the header along with the lengths for the secondaries before it all joints back into a single pipe. These guys know what they are doing - I'm pretty sure I'm in safe hands.

The interior of the car has no sound deadening left, all seems have been re-sealed, etch primered everywhere and will be painted metallic gun metal grey (as will the engine bay)

The only interior present will be the very top part of the dashboard (which is flocked to reduce glare on the windscreen. A new centre console will be made with an alu frame and carbon fibre panels to house kill switches for power and the fire extinguisher, fuse resets, relays, gauges etc. The s2000 instrument cluster will be mounted in a carbon surround in the std AE86 dashboard. Passenger will have an alu foot rest, drivers floor also slightly raised with a nagisa auto alu panel.

The only other parts in side the car will be seats, harnesses and the fire extinguisher. I have no heater matrix as I now have a fully heated MSA spec laminated windscreen Thumbs up! Carry with you only what you need - and nothing more. Things like seats carpets and door cards are a luxury I dont need.

Regards Ian.
01-25-2008, 07:39 PM
Ian.G Wrote:I have no heater matrix as I now have a fully heated MSA spec laminated windscreen Thumbs up!

Car is looking as impressive as ever! Could you explain a bit more about the windscreen?

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
Find all posts by this user
01-25-2008, 08:24 PM
NoHachi Wrote:Could you explain a bit more about the windscreen?

Sure thing.

Lots of rally cars opt to not run a heater matrix or any on-board heating to save weight (although the heater/blower is quite a good way of getting heat out of the engine). Obviously this creates an issue with not being easily able to de-mist the front screen - not good when you are pounding through a forest meters from trees at warp speed.

Quite a lot of modern cars (such as the ford focus etc.) have a heated windscreen that is able to de mist without the use of any heater/blowers. It uses heat elements similar to those you would find in a heated rear window - although you cant actually see them (it doesn't have orange/brown heat elements visible in it)

A company in the UK has just done a batch of these and I managed to get my hands on one Hurray!

If you are interested this is the place you would need to look.

www.heatedwindscreen.com

Speak to Ricky - he is a nice chap.

Hope that helps Thumbs up!

Regards Ian.
01-25-2008, 09:09 PM
Ian, looking at that manifold is it cylinder no 1 that has the 2 x 90 degree bends in there? I wouldnt of thought that was good for flow ????

Interesting on the windscreen option, I was going to use a little fan blower.... got me thinking now lol

Cheers

I'm currently taking HRT ~ Hachi Roku Therapy Big Grin
01-28-2008, 05:29 PM
All painted on the inside now

Regards Ian.
01-28-2008, 05:58 PM
Thumbs up! Btw the car will still in white color?

1985 AE86 (ハチロク) Levin - Summer time daily driver

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Track AE86 Build from south america Nurburgring 3 7,701 10-30-2013 07:31 PM
Last Post: BOOMEX
  Ae86 Levin drift project. filip.alin 7 9,108 01-20-2013 03:05 PM
Last Post: filip.alin
  86er's Track rebuild N2.??? Finally an update page 8 86er 191 246,043 03-25-2012 10:05 AM
Last Post: bozu
  (AUS) 8age trueno track monster! green_boy_91 48 53,774 02-22-2010 01:47 PM
Last Post: green_boy_91
  KP61: The track fridge 127 Boy 20 28,734 01-04-2010 01:02 AM
Last Post: The Doctor