Hachi as daily driver
10-21-2005, 07:46 PM
Hachi as daily driver
Hi, new to the site so its question time

just a few questions really. as im thinking of getting a hachi as a daily driver:

are the running costs generally low? ie. fuel consumption etc.
is a quote of £426 tpft good for 3yrs no claims age 21
how practical are they? ie. space in bac/boot
how comfortable? ie. road noise, driving position

boring stuff i know but nobody seems to talk about those aspects much and if its getting driven everyday...... Smile
Find all posts by this user
10-21-2005, 08:21 PM
Hachi as daily driver
Sorry to say, but its a negative answer to all of your questions.. They are old, thirsty, noisy and expensive in parts. But they are fun all the way, and worth all the money. Thumbs up!

Youtube Myspace and I´ll Google your Yahoo
10-21-2005, 08:59 PM
Hachi as daily driver
let me rephrase that then Smile

are they the above in comparison to a stage 1 1995 200sx s14

ie: 28mpg on a good day
£780 tpft
quite unrefined lots of road noise
boot space for about 3-4 spare tyres
2 short people only in the rear

Thumbs up!
10-21-2005, 09:07 PM
Hachi as daily driver
I dont get much more than 24 MPG and some say that i drive like a old lady...
I dont know what "£780 tpft" means.
If you keep it stock, the roadnoise isnt that bad for such a old car. Can you keep it stock?? Smile
No way youre getting 3-4 tires in the boot, more then 2 tires and youll have to lay down the rear seat.
Theres not that much space in the rear. Im 180cm high, and when im curled together in the rearseat its really uncomfortable. Not to much room for the legs, and defently not to much room fot the head. Yet i have managed to stuff 4 of my friends into the rearseat... Big Grin

Youtube Myspace and I´ll Google your Yahoo
10-21-2005, 09:08 PM
Hachi as daily driver
Let me rephrase from that: Cool

Road noise - cant hear it from exhaust, tires and throttle bodies!

thirsty - so what!! not as bad a turbo..ud be thirsty too if you had to be at 800rpm all day!! lol

comfortable - standard..maybe?? but no 86 is meant to be standard..REALLY!!

Rear seats...will fit a midget and his wife but what are the odds so take em out...only extra weight and hinder ur boot space!!

boot space - exceptional for carrying extra wheels and tools etc...not shopping and other rubbish cos it will be forgotten about when u leave the shops and get smashed up wheil sliding about!!

bottom line....86's are not a jeremy clarkson practical car...tehy are old skool, expensive to run and maintain and tune but more so they are cool and fun!! better than any s body i ever drove and dont get me started on 4wd scoobies and shit...

86's rock so just get one....i bet u wont look back... Wave
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-21-2005, 09:25 PM
Hachi as daily driver
im gonna get one....just need to prepare. wont be able to mod much due to the drift s14 needing lots doing. just want a smaller car that i can live with but not look like a chav and still have fun. Been quoted £3000 otr for a reasonable milage (100K ish i reckon) near standard one from japan....sound good???
10-21-2005, 09:34 PM
Hachi as daily driver
I drive mine every day and I'm fine with it. No idea how much mpg but I get about 12km per liter of fuel with spirited driving, I think thats pretty ok. I do get down to about 10km per liter of fuel driving on the track thoughSmile

As for road noice, well my axle and exhaust make to much noice but especially the facelift version seem to be a relatively quiet car stock. Still revs beautifullySmile

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
10-21-2005, 10:17 PM
Hachi as daily driver
Yep, I drive mine daily as well. It's noisy on freeway drives (constant 4000+ rpm's will do that), the suspension also makes a lot of racket after lowering and polyurethane bushings.
I personally think the rear seat is uber-comfy...the leg-room leaves a lot to be desired though. The boot is practical enough on a coupe, and more than practical no a hatchback..

So lets recap all of this:
-it's noisy
-it's not comfortable (on aftermarket suspension)
-it's not cheap

But it's fun to drive and cool.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
10-22-2005, 12:09 PM
Hachi as daily driver
Ivan141 Wrote:It's noisy on freeway drives (constant 4000+ rpm's will do that)
You drive it in fourth gear all the time, or are you just going over the speed limit? >Smile
Mine does 3500 when driving 120 km/h, so it makes noise, but my mitsu's engine and body (windnoise) were much noisier.

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Hachi as daily driver]
10-22-2005, 12:34 PM
Hachi as daily driver
Did you have an open diff or LSD under that trueno? If it's still the open diff then it has a 4.1 ratio instead of the usual 4.3 if I'm not mistaken..

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Exhaust for the daily driver dinkers542 16 15,155 12-04-2014 11:10 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  Tyres to suit new 14" wheels on a daily Jezza_hr 4 5,041 11-04-2014 12:20 PM
Last Post: Spitfire