Exhaust fumes in cabin (Hatch seal problem!)
05-14-2015, 12:01 PM (This post was last modified: 05-27-2015 06:21 PM by Lt86.)
Hi everyone Smile,

I'm having this annoying problem of the cabin filling with exhaust fumes when driving with the window rolled down. After doing some research it seems other people experience this too and the problem is caused by the vaccuum created drawing air/fumes in from the booth/trunk.

I used a CO-tester which was fine when I had the window up. As soon as the window went down the one in the trunk went crazy and the one on the driver seat showed 12ppm (not super high but high enough to smell like gas/exhaust everytime you went for a drive).

Some say this can be caused by holes caused by rust or bad fitment of the hatchrubber. My car does not have any rustholes and the hatchrubber is as good as new. Did anyone have this problem before and what did you do about it? What other holes can draw air in or what are good places to seal?

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
05-14-2015, 03:55 PM
I suppose you don't have the O² sensor attached since your Martelius header has no provisions for it?
I had the same problem when my O² sensor was faulty...

You can also seal the rectangular holes in the floor under the carpet, the chassis rails draw in some fumes aswell.
05-14-2015, 05:10 PM
Common problem with the 86!

There is a solution! Roll down both windows! =D

Regards
05-14-2015, 09:34 PM
Are the access holes - for the rear bumper bracket bolts - all covered on the rear frame rails in cargo area?
05-15-2015, 09:59 AM
I will get the car out today and start checking everything.

There is no O² sensor attached but I didn't have one on the original setup neither. I used a CO-meter to tune my car and it is a bit rich but this really boosted my performance so I'm keeping it that way. Can't remember how much but I thought 3-4% so that is not over the top.

About rolling both windows down, LOL! Yes, I noticed this does help but it would really be great to solve the issue another way Big Grin
05-15-2015, 10:19 AM
There is another option, get enjoying those fumes Tongue
I know it's not for everyone but it's one of the 86's quirks and part of the reason I loved mine Smile
05-16-2015, 10:07 AM
(05-15-2015 10:19 AM)mad.matt Wrote:  There is another option, get enjoying those fumes Tongue
I know it's not for everyone but it's one of the 86's quirks and part of the reason I loved mine Smile

I do enjoy the smell of the car but it's very annoying to arrive everywhere smelling like fumes. It really gets in your clothes and on long drives it really gets on my nerves.

Anyways, I closed the hole in the rear quarter panel yesterday using a bolt. Figured this could be causing the fumes because the closest to the exhaust and it is the only way for fumes trapped under the bumper to get any higher. Didn't work though...

Maybe I will try and make a sealed underbody plate for the rear of the car so I can exlude fumes coming in from below.
05-16-2015, 11:30 AM (This post was last modified: 05-16-2015 11:32 AM by totta Crolla.)
The fumes will try to kill you.

If they don't gas you, also note that Carbon monoxide (CO) has accumulative effects that can permenantly damage your nervous system, they will make you tired enough not to be able to concentrate fully on your driving.

Does your exhaust exit far enough out of the rear of the car ?

An analogue brain in a digital World
05-17-2015, 12:34 PM
(05-16-2015 11:30 AM)totta Crolla Wrote:  The fumes will try to kill you.

If they don't gas you, also note that Carbon monoxide (CO) has accumulative effects that can permenantly damage your nervous system, they will make you tired enough not to be able to concentrate fully on your driving.

Does your exhaust exit far enough out of the rear of the car ?

I think so yes.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Exhaust fumes in cabin (Hat... problem!)]

Did anyone ever make a rear diffuser plate that goes between the exhaust and the body ? I was thinking if I could find one to put on the same level as the bottom of the bumper you wouldn't see it and fumes wouldn't get stuck on the bottom of the car.

Another thing I noticed... My car has the gaskets for the main part of the taillights but it does not have the gaskets for the rear side lights.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Exhaust fumes in cabin (Hat... problem!)]

Just to besure I will order the gaskets this week to exclude this as well.
05-26-2015, 09:08 PM
Hey I just had similar problems, annoying me for ages so I ended up stripping out the entire interior to find out where it was coming from.

I found that after removing all of the sound deadening, there were now holes in the floor that looked to be previously covered by the sound deadening only.

Either that, or there were rubber plugs there that were now missing.

After covering up all of the various holes in the floor, and replacing rear hatch rubber, and an exhaust that doesnt leak anymore - Now it's awesome to drive.

Dont tolerate fumes, doesnt have to be that way!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Problem exhaust drone: Solution 1/4 wave, or Helmholtz resonator? oldeskewltoy 5 9,183 05-17-2017 11:36 PM
Last Post: Bean
  Crank seal TheGerman 8 10,076 04-12-2014 09:36 AM
Last Post: Apsogos
  Annoying sound (Ae92 hatch gti) Apsogos 2 4,086 01-02-2013 12:13 PM
Last Post: Apsogos
  4agZe problem solved - 99% IC problem Okami 41 33,241 07-12-2012 04:49 PM
Last Post: Okami
  Hatch seatbelts - question cannabolic 1 3,434 07-28-2011 09:43 PM
Last Post: cannabolic