Engine rebuild project! Share your ideas...
09-11-2012, 12:45 PM
Hi to everyone

The question is:
If you had 3000 usd cash in your wallet + brand new big port cylinder head together with 3rib 4age block what parts would you buy to rebuild this engine? ( from crankshaft to rods , pistons, valve train, camshafts etc ! )

Shortly how would you build your bottom end and cylinder head with this 3000 usd

( But do not forget that you won't have anything except bare 16v cylinder head and bare engine block so you will need to order shims,valve retainers,springs and such parts too)

Also you must use only stock bluetop ecu on this project ( no aftermarket ecu or piggyback will be used. )

so share your NA engine build!

thanks...
Find all posts by this user
09-11-2012, 05:15 PM
well if you have to use the stock BLUETOP ecu, there's not much you can do to be honest. Yes you could fit slightly wilder cams and time them as good as possible with some cam gears but it'll always be down on potential performance. So what I'd do is have the head worked on (nothing serious just a cleanup) and build the engine with used crank and rods. Get some oversized 81.5mm highcomp pistons (OEM Toyota) either redtop (along with the matching crank and rods but used) or EU spec 10:1 bluetop.
Lightend flywheel etc..
considering your budget and what you have - a used engine in good condition might save you a lot of hassle anyway.

To be honest if you can't/don't want to change the ECU and already have a running 4AGE spend the cash on suspension drivetrain parts, interior etc... you'll have more from that than a building a stockish engine.

This is all my point of view obviously.

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-11-2012, 07:35 PM
We have a guy somewhere in the Netherlands who can just about do anything with the stock ECU with his own modifications.. too bad he hasn't been online for ages.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
09-11-2012, 07:40 PM
Have a look here and in particular the post by 'Robokill' :
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/se...clnk&gl=uk

An analogue brain in a digital World
09-11-2012, 08:42 PM
Hi again,
I decided to buy pnp tomei poncams + wiseco 11.8:1 hi cr pistons (together with molnar forged rods ) however I think this cr is too hi and stock bluetop ecu won't be able to support.

The question is:
How thick head gasket should I use minumum?
or
What is the maximum cr which stock ecu can support?

Thinking about buying 1.2mm cometic gasket and using wiseco 11.8:1 pistons.

What you guys think?
09-11-2012, 09:54 PM
Best piece of advice I can give you is: steer clear from of the shelf Wiseco piston for the 4AGE, they are a VERY bad design! You are better off with redtop OEM pistons due to CR anyways.

AE86 ex-daily
09-11-2012, 10:13 PM
Wow didn't know that, thanks for warning.. ( always thought wiseco ones are the best ... )

Should I buy genuine toyota pistons from a dealer or ebay's 4age rebuild pistons would also work fine?

Because the prices are completely different also I saw very cheap h-beam rods what do you think about them? are they any better than oem ones?

My mind started to be messed up, maybe I should call toyota and order all these parts:

13401‑16010 CRANKSHAFT
90280‑05010 KEY for crankshaft timing gear
13521‑16010 PULLEY, CRANKSHAFT TIMING
13566‑15010 GUIDE,TIMING BELT
90105‑12012 BOLT FOR CRANKSHAFT PULLET SET
13201‑19065 ROD SUB ASSY,CONNECTING
13011‑16050 RING SET PISTON
13101‑16030 PISTON SUB-ASSY, W/PIN
11011‑15010 WASHER SET CRANKSHAFT THRUST
11704‑15050 BEARING SET CRANKSHAFT
13753‑16020 SHIM
13751-16010 LIFTER VALVE
90913-03021 LOCK, VALVE SPRING RETAINER
13505‑16020 IDLER SUB-ASSY, TIMING BELT (
13505‑16020 SPRING, TENSION ( FOR IDLER )
90249‑06006 PIN IDLER SPRING
90250‑05121 PIN, STRAIGHT FOR CAMSHAFT KNOCK
09-11-2012, 10:28 PM
Sorry but with that money i would buy a 20V 4AGE and run the stock ECU! Undecided
09-11-2012, 10:36 PM
I am not planning to do any engine swap for sure.

I already have brand new bigport cylinder head + 4age block.

So what I plan to do is building a fresh and softly tuned 4age. ( mild cams, hi cp pistons, header, lightened flywheel etc. )

Just can't be sure about the parts.

For example instead of buying oem toyota crank I can pay little more and order from ebay billet crankshaft but I am not sure about their quality...

Also there is an option such as buying used crank but wouldn't it be silly to order everything new except the crank?
09-11-2012, 11:03 PM
as said considering you are aiming for a very mild rebuild, there is nothing wrong with OEM parts. Also taking into account the reliabilty of Toyota back in those days usedbparts will cover you above and beyond what you need.

Seriously there is no point in any kind of forged parts as long as you stay below 160hp, which you will keeping the ECU.

As said you might be better off considering buying a complete engine in good nick and going from there. Refurbish that with new pumps and bearings and there won't be anything to worry about for more miles than you likely to throu at it.

If you can give us a better view of what you are aiming to do with the engine we can give better advise (dailydriver, present running 4AGE, trackdays, etc...)

Also a location would be nice as markets and availability of parts are very different around the world.

Last but not least, consider this I'm currently building an engine with the potential close and around 200hp and spent less than 3k$ excluding clutch and flywheel. That's a complete engine top to bottom with custom pistons and so forth... you are welcome to read my project thread for more details.

Also can you shed some light why you want/need to stick with the OEM computer?
If this is a necessary evil you can't avoid I'd recommend a recreation of robokils early build mentioned earlier in this thread.

PS: getting everything new will blow your budget considering a new crank alone is half of it or a third if you get a good deal.

PPS: get yourself a complete engine in good condition (usually less than 500) and save a lot unless you already have one. As they are many pieces still missing on your list like injectors intake manifold, ignition system to name a few

AE86 ex-daily

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can you convert your 86 back too the original state? gh0st 7 2,154 04-25-2022 04:25 PM
Last Post: gh0st
  Bluetop Engine Rebuild multiple question Goal 150-160hp Hanzo 16 7,676 04-19-2021 10:08 PM
Last Post: Hanzo
  Rear Differential rebuild chenfon 10 7,385 11-20-2020 12:18 AM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  AE86 4A-GE 16v engine harness rebuild FanIsHere 7 8,695 01-17-2020 08:04 PM
Last Post: Project D
  Build your own adjustable fuel pressure regulator ;) oldeskewltoy 8 19,550 08-19-2018 12:08 PM
Last Post: AlexKTM