Engine rebuild project! Share your ideas...
09-11-2012, 11:16 PM
Is the block brand new ?
Toyota OEM cranks are some of the best available. Billet cranks
are nice and allow very high revs but the crank is not the limiting factor with the 4age and in your case the limiting factor would be the ecu then the cams, rod bolts and rods then lastly the crank.
Will you be using TVIS with your big port head ?
What inlet system do you expect to use ?
Realistically you are looking at a maximum of 160hp with the stock
ecu and that is only if the engine is put together just right, 140hp
is more likely.
Consider that the stock bigport made approximately 130hp and the smallport 140hp

An analogue brain in a digital World
Find all posts by this user
09-11-2012, 11:25 PM
totta Crolla Wrote:Is the block brand new ?
Toyota OEM cranks are some of the best available. Billet cranks
are nice and allow very high revs but the crank is not the limiting factor with the 4age and in your case the limiting factor would be the ecu then the cams, rod bolts and rods then lastly the crank.
Will you be using TVIS with your big port head ?
What inlet system do you expect to use ?
Realistically you are looking at a maximum of 160hp with the stock
ecu and that is only if the engine is put together just right, 140hp
is more likely.
Consider that the stock bigport made approximately 130hp and the smallport 140hp

Yes block and cylinder head (bigport) are brand new. But unfortunetelly except these parts I have almost nothing, just 4ac laying on ground + megan racing engine mounts and koyo radiator. So now I plan to buy used rwd intake manifold (16v) and use it without the tvis plate. Probably will go for 264 cams. and stock bluetop ecu. So seems like I must just order all parts from toyota except the camshafts. Also would you recommend me to buy supertech valve kit? ( double valve springs,retainers,valves,etc.) cause if not I will need to buy standart parts from more expensive price. ( because my cylinder head is completely empty )
09-11-2012, 11:33 PM
Bean Bandit Wrote:as said considering you are aiming for a very mild rebuild, there is nothing wrong with OEM parts. Also taking into account the reliabilty of Toyota back in those days usedbparts will cover you above and beyond what you need.

Seriously there is no point in any kind of forged parts as long as you stay below 160hp, which you will keeping the ECU.

As said you might be better off considering buying a complete engine in good nick and going from there. Refurbish that with new pumps and bearings and there won't be anything to worry about for more miles than you likely to throu at it.

If you can give us a better view of what you are aiming to do with the engine we can give better advise (dailydriver, present running 4AGE, trackdays, etc...)

Also a location would be nice as markets and availability of parts are very different around the world.

Last but not least, consider this I'm currently building an engine with the potential close and around 200hp and spent less than 3k$ excluding clutch and flywheel. That's a complete engine top to bottom with custom pistons and so forth... you are welcome to read my project thread for more details.

Also can you shed some light why you want/need to stick with the OEM computer?
If this is a necessary evil you can't avoid I'd recommend a recreation of robokils early build mentioned earlier in this thread.

PS: getting everything new will blow your budget considering a new crank alone is half of it or a third if you get a good deal.

PPS: get yourself a complete engine in good condition (usually less than 500) and save a lot unless you already have one. As they are many pieces still missing on your list like injectors intake manifold, ignition system to name a few

I am from istanbul and it's illegal to import used engines into coutnry. Some guys do it however I am not one of these Smile and won't be.

I also found an ae92 gts ( it has bluetop 4age ) however it costs 2500 usd.

so what would you prefer? buying brand new parts?
or just buying this car and swap the engine then sell rest of car?

I am not planning use this ae86 daily because I also have mx-5 and rx-8
It's gonna be drift spec car however I already lightened the car alot.
So I don't think I would need more than 150 hp. What I'm looking for is building an engine which will work very smooth and stay long.

I am staying away from the mspnp because I never tuned an ecu so probably it will be so hard and I will blow the engine when I am trying to map it.

I don't know...
Would it be clever to buy that ae92? (compete car )
we really don't have many cars with 4age in here .
Maximum 5 car in the whole country.
09-12-2012, 12:02 AM
Could you use the engine from the AE92 and keep the new block
you have as a spare for the AE92 engine ?
You would then probably only need to buy pistons to fit the new block.
Sell the new head maybe ?

An analogue brain in a digital World
09-12-2012, 12:12 AM
totta Crolla Wrote:Could you use the engine from the AE92 and keep the new block
you have as a spare for the AE92 engine ?
You would then probably only need to buy pistons to fit the new block.
Sell the new head maybe ?

I would install 4ac into ae92 then sell the car from 1500 usd.
and install the 4age into my ae86.

But problem is I will work much + pay alot just for getting used internals.
Because I already have head and block.
It would be only clever if i didn't have these parts.
09-12-2012, 06:35 AM
hmm, I was only once in Instanbul, but I assume you should be able to find someone who could tune an mspnp or haltech etc for you I'm that vg city...

Personally if you really stick to the OEM ecu, I'd sell the parts you've got and get that 92.

There are so many parts needed to convert to the 4AGE so a donor car makes a lot of sense.

Supertech is fine by me I have them too, single spring will do just fine.

Considering the fact you are going to use the car for drifting it's a bit of a shame to use your new parts for a stock engine.

PS: fit the engine and drivetrain from you RX8 Wink

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-12-2012, 09:24 AM
Engine with stock ECU is not worth 3000 USD. Go either full stock, maybe with 264 cams and a bit more CR or get a standalone.
09-12-2012, 09:02 PM
Head have the cam caps & all other studs, block have main caps?
Sell'm & buy a complete engine.
While it may feel like you've already got most of the basic engine, it's only 2 parts out of dozens, it's like completing a car because you've already got the steering wheel & gear shift knob.
09-12-2012, 09:32 PM
Hate to break the mood but 3000 USD wont even get you 25% of all the brand new Toyota OEM engine internals you just listed...

Buy redtop 4AGE of the scrapyard, these have oil squirters and are waaay more reliable than a 3-rib block no matter how new it is!

Start off with the basic stuff, Have the block rebuilt if necessary for around 400-600 USD in parts depending on how much needs changing, weld-mod the intake manifold to suit RWD configuration or get T3 bigport>smallport adapter for 100$ US (And port match it to existing AE86 intake as well as head intake ports), polish intake and throttle body, get a big juicy Cone air filter (60 bucks) for the intake, new distributor cap & spark plug wires, get a main pilot bearing for 10 USD and put it on the crank, install your stock clutch (If you need new, get off ebay, OEM, 120 USD I think) and flywheel, bolt the engine and harness to your car.

This engine has potential for max N/A 4age power but right now you want a good and reliable engine to drive with, not a project that costs thousands and thousands of dollars (Race spec 4AG costs around 5000-20000 USD depending on how insane u want it to be)

1x AE86 84` Zenki Coupè Levin 4A-GE 20v
1x AE86 83' Zenki Coupe Levin 4A-GE 16v
1x TA60 82' Sedan 2T 8V
1x TA40 78` MK1 Zenk/Pre-Facelift Wagon 4A-GE 16v
09-12-2012, 10:28 PM
Agree to most of the above as I tried to explain previously. One piece of advice I can give is if you stick to bigport, keep the TVIS. If you go with a small port clip and flip the FWD one, this is much better than cut and shut or adapter plate options.

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can you convert your 86 back too the original state? gh0st 7 2,157 04-25-2022 04:25 PM
Last Post: gh0st
  Bluetop Engine Rebuild multiple question Goal 150-160hp Hanzo 16 7,677 04-19-2021 10:08 PM
Last Post: Hanzo
  Rear Differential rebuild chenfon 10 7,386 11-20-2020 12:18 AM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  AE86 4A-GE 16v engine harness rebuild FanIsHere 7 8,696 01-17-2020 08:04 PM
Last Post: Project D
  Build your own adjustable fuel pressure regulator ;) oldeskewltoy 8 19,554 08-19-2018 12:08 PM
Last Post: AlexKTM