DIV 1 rally/track suspension setup
12-30-2011, 07:26 PM
do you mean the insulators upper and lower?Smile
hm yes idd for mk2,wouldn't they work for ae86?

I have sent grp4 fabrications an email.
Couldnt contact the person for the information
Find all posts by this user
12-30-2011, 10:26 PM
No the perch is the metal thing that the spring sits on. Insulators are rubber washers that sit between the perch/spring/tophat to prevent clanging and centers the spring sometimes.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
12-31-2011, 06:47 PM
Ok here is some info. I would have given body parts for when I was starting setting up my '86 years ago ! It has taken this long to get it as near to perfect for me as possible. I was out yesterday on an extremely slippery tarmac stage rally and the handling was sublime:

Confused
Tongue
Wave

An analogue brain in a digital World
12-31-2011, 08:30 PM
Totta, you should dump those aluminium spacers and replace them with a proper dual spring setup. It will be even better. See this:

I have this specific setup on my MX5 and the difference is astounding.

You can also still improve on those dampers probably. TRD themselves didn't use trd dampers but opted for bigger pistoned examples that handle heat better and have lower friction. Most of the N2 field seems to be on Bilsteins. Just need to copy the TRD valving.

12-31-2011, 11:04 PM
I'm using stock diameter springs (with around 65mm droop) rather than coilovers but there is no doubting the effectiveness of a proper dual spring set up.
To be honest I really don't want to change a thing on the car now, please don't tempt me Cool lol

An analogue brain in a digital World
12-31-2011, 11:28 PM
NoHachi Wrote:Totta, you should dump those aluminium spacers and replace them with a proper dual spring setup. It will be even better. See this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqKsQKJClLU

I have this specific setup on my MX5 and the difference is astounding.

I want more on this, pls.
Thanks.
01-01-2012, 01:30 PM
What more do you want?

01-01-2012, 01:51 PM
Well he means probably what is so specificic on exactly this helper spring setup?

It seem to be ordinary one and it looks to work how it should.
Without that spring the unweighted side of the car would be sent to the air more easily. So it progresivelly ramps up, but tell us more if you know.

This is interested topic. I am now thinkling about suspension for my other car
I know i want not excesive lowering(10-20mm) and not excesive stroke lowering either. Freuquencies around 1,7-1,9 max ( rounded it to 4/3 now but can change if they can make the springs more exactly and i exactly weight the final car on wheels) With 10mm lowering 4kg spring and stock stroke i have place for 40mm helper spring left on the front.
I would like to have bigger sized bilstein shocks, but bilstein offered me unrealistic(for me) 2500eu for the whole suspension based on my stock front struts.
I also thought to make it quick and dirty again and use stock ae92 bilstein inserts and shortened front struts. +4kg long and some helper when needed.

For the rear there are 2 versions of the ae86 shock, stock and HD rally. They differ only in valving and the HD works pretty good with springs 3-4kg range.
The front one is too soft in rebound for eveyrthing above 3kg.

I post rates as i find the sheet.

Till now i am ride apex springs woth stock B6 shock and pretty satisfied, front changed to higher carina springs which are also stiffer. This setup will stay on current car for everyday or gravel action.

That GRp4 offer is pretty good and i will sure consider them, have you somenoe more info about? Shocka rates strokes etc?
ANd also Nohachi you had contact to some dutch based company and wanted to work with them on proper ae86 suspension. Have you made some progress?1

http://www.86ers.org
All the hachies that Daytona can only dream about.
01-01-2012, 06:44 PM
There is nothing specific, just that they are a better solution then spacers. Block height is usually an inch or so.

As the wheel is unloaded and the helper spring unblocked the spring rate ramps down substantially. This helps keep the very lightweight (compared to the car) wheel in contact with the ground. Thing is it only works with very digressively valved shocks, so no luck on the old skool bilstein mk2 with linear valvings and less useful on the powered wheels (which typically use more linear valving).

@Sekiguchi.. I've talked to AST/Moton but their prices have gone through the roof. Prices are now comparable to what Bilstein quoted you, if not more. Quality is great though. Only progress I've since been making is trying to snag one of the test-sets for myself for the MX5 (which I have now).

For anyone seeking a setup that is best bang for buck, consider the following:

- Front Bilsteins from a 3000GT or 200SX, 46mm piston variety (2x)
- Sierra GP4 strut tube
- Bilstein adjustable shaft (2x)
- Rear Bilstein ASN shock with 5" stroke

That would get you most of the way. Just need someone who will revalve shocks cheaply for you..

01-01-2012, 07:49 PM
Its kinda hard to contact people right now so in a couple of days i will be able to give more information i hope.

I have sent an email to grp4 productions in Ireland and tomorrow i will call the guru over here in suspensions who has worked on ae86's and mk2.Lets hope for some good info.

I am glad there is alot of repsonse because i know nothing from setups and its very important for a rally/trackcar,wherefor thanks Smile

I will be running on street tires,no slicks or semi slicks.
Not even sure if i ever will.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wide Track 86 Mylesmck 8 1,711 05-28-2023 09:51 PM
Last Post: Bean
  wider rear axle,track width,suspension questions ditn 6 7,619 10-18-2016 11:50 AM
Last Post: fantapants
  4 Link setup and Traction brackets Jezza_hr 5 9,404 07-21-2014 09:12 PM
  Wheel adapters - track safe? El_Camino 19 16,031 02-04-2014 12:21 PM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  Fuel system setup 86Pilot 2 4,436 01-30-2013 04:24 PM