Wheel adapters - track safe?
01-31-2014, 06:06 PM
I am quite close to putting my beloved on the track again, exhaust and wheels are still to be sorted out.

As I have lots of 15" wheels and track tires from the MX5 and not single 15" set for the AE, my question is, what is safer/better (track car):
a) redrilling the hubs in 4x100 pattern
b) fabricating adaptors 4x114 > 4x100 (will be made of 2024 aluminum)

Any positive (negative) experience with wheel adaptors?

"..el camino's aren't supposed to make sense, craziness is what makes the world go around." - Car & Driver, 1984
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-01-2014, 05:07 AM
Redrilling next to the 4x114 holes whould work on the rear, but the way the studs are fitted on the hub at the front wont have enough meat to drill into, unless you weld the holes up before getting them redrilled. Has been done on a drift AE86 that run a year BDC championship with 4x108 pdc. No problems.

Does your wheeloffset alow you tho add spacers? if you got for the proper spacers, that bolt onto the studs, and haver studs again, they are at least 20 or even 25mm wide. They are normaly pretty expensive!

1979 Toyota Corolla KE35
1983 Toyota Corolla AE86
1985 Toyota Corolla AE86
Find all posts by this user
02-01-2014, 11:41 AM
Probably better to get a set of 15's to fit the Corolla and then swap the tyres to suit. Make sure that whatever you do you make sure that you can use the hub locator to centre the wheels correctly. Be careful about using just the wheel studs to hold the wheels on, especially given that yours is a track car.

An analogue brain in a digital World
02-01-2014, 12:27 PM
i always use spacers when on track for this reason (my car having 2 PCDs Smile), if fitted well, there is absolutely NO problem in using them. They are no more 'dangerous' then the low offset wheels i see other people running.

And the whole spigot ring thing... is absolutely nonsense in my eyes, my car doesn't even have them!

"It's all about the heart, the people who focus on parts, turbo's and all that stuff...they're just losers."
-Shinji Minowa
02-01-2014, 01:01 PM
The Doctor Wrote:i always use spacers when on track for this reason (my car having 2 PCDs Smile), if fitted well, there is absolutely NO problem in using them. They are no more 'dangerous' then the low offset wheels i see other people running.

And the whole spigot ring thing... is absolutely nonsense in my eyes, my car doesn't even have them!

Allways said that about spigot rings, they make fitting rims easier, especially if you got cars without studs, but they do not make it safer in any way. done up in an even cross pattern the wheel will center regardless of what what that plastic ring is doing Wink

1979 Toyota Corolla KE35
1983 Toyota Corolla AE86
1985 Toyota Corolla AE86
02-01-2014, 01:12 PM
finally someone who thinks the same as me!
Some people seem to think that the wheelnuts are there to keep the wheels on the plastic rings, so they can carry the weight and you will kill buses full of nuns and kittens if you don't have them. Big Grin

"It's all about the heart, the people who focus on parts, turbo's and all that stuff...they're just losers."
-Shinji Minowa
02-01-2014, 02:02 PM
There is a big difference between some generic plastic spigot ring thing that basically just centres the wheel and the correct wheel fitment that all manufacturers use.

An analogue brain in a digital World
02-01-2014, 03:44 PM
Proper good quality bolt on spacers/adapters are fine
02-01-2014, 08:23 PM
totta Crolla Wrote:There is a big difference between some generic plastic spigot ring thing that basically just centres the wheel and the correct wheel fitment that all manufacturers use.

Yes, manufacter hubcentric wheel fitment wins!
But since everyone wants aftermarket wheels and its kinda hard for wheel manufacturers to not just offer a varation im pcd´s but also 100´s of different spigot diameters.

@ The Doctor: Yeah I know these people just as well as you do Wink

1979 Toyota Corolla KE35
1983 Toyota Corolla AE86
1985 Toyota Corolla AE86
02-01-2014, 08:51 PM
Get braid wheels Thumbs up!
For competition wheels they are relative cheap and you can chose et/colour/... yourself.
Perfect for circuit driving.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wide Track 86 Mylesmck 8 1,696 05-28-2023 09:51 PM
Last Post: Bean
  wider rear axle,track width,suspension questions ditn 6 7,599 10-18-2016 11:50 AM
Last Post: fantapants
  DIV 1 rally/track suspension setup ditn 60 65,827 03-28-2013 11:28 PM
Last Post: ditn
  track questions:max oil/water temp,egt and other ditn 7 7,422 07-06-2012 12:40 PM
Last Post: ditn
  Drift / autocross / track coiliovers? AE86-SA 5 6,205 06-24-2012 03:44 PM
Last Post: AE86-SA