Cleaning rusted materials
08-06-2007, 09:09 PM
Hey guys,

I found this link on another site. I know the method already but this is a nice explanation. The other site did warn about using stainless steel anodes and suggested using normal metal.

http://www.bhi.co.uk/hints/rust.htm

In basic, get a car battery charger, a big plastic container, add water, add some soda, put in your rusted 4 links, struts, whatever while attached to the negative lead, put in a bit of metal connected to the positive lead of the battery charger, leave over night.

When you come back the next morning you should find very dirty watter and your object with either all rust off or simply removable by wiping it down.

What the site doesn't say, and what I've never tried but heard that should work, is if you then put your object in a clean bath again with soda in there, you reverse the polarity and instead of using an iron anode you use zink or some other nice material (thus turning it into a kathode, if I am not mistaken) and leave it over night, you're little object should get a nice rust protecting coating Big Grin

This FAQ btw says the waste watter is not dangerous, but i've also read sites that claim the waste watter should be handled as industrial waste, so use at your own risk and wear protection.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
Find all posts by this user
08-06-2007, 09:10 PM
Owh and this is where I found it:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=9158

some nice pictures there of someone that has used this technique.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
Find all posts by this user
08-07-2007, 10:48 AM
I tested it before, good for rust removal but forget about quality zinc plating that way. I used baking soda as electrolite.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Adams Rusted levin from Africa need help fixing love my 86 adamsaiyad 2 3,615 10-24-2010 10:57 PM
Last Post: Aram
  ADVICE on- Emptying / Cleaning an AE86 Fuel Tank ??? cue 3 4,990 07-22-2009 12:29 AM
Last Post: cue
  I'm in a cleaning mood. James 5 4,717 07-01-2005 08:15 AM
Last Post: PetzK
  Cleaning of the lights ZaX 11 12,043 11-05-2004 12:00 PM
Last Post: robokill
  Cleaning K&N filters Mux213 5 7,410 09-22-2004 10:34 AM
Last Post: ZaX