Adams Rusted levin from Africa need help fixing love my 86
10-24-2010, 09:24 PM
Hello fellow members,
Its with great worry that i have finally taken some photos and have decided to upload them ....
Right the car has rust on the following areas.Boot lid or rear trunk door as this is a two door coupe it means that i need a new one it has holes right through ....
The drivers door outer skin and part of the sealing areas and bottom are rusting and will need to be replaced as well cause the skin as far as i know isnt repairable!!!
The front two inner fenders close to the chassis legs left and right are rusting as well where the tower for the top hat (shock Absorber) meets the chassis leg there are some long but narrow rusting holes weight reduction!!!!!
The rear of the car is pretty bad
Left and right quarter fenders there are rusting patches where the bolt hole for the bumper mount originate from
The rear chassis legs are rotting literally
The Rear boot floor and spare wheel holder are also falling apart .
left and right shock absorber mountings at the top of the inner arches are also rusting through pretty badly .
Forgot the front has some rusting patches on the floor both drivers and passengers side close to the feet area.
But it stops there ive seen worse and here is my game plan
Get a new rear boot or trunk lid
Then replace the chassis legs and rear trunk floor area with a good second hand pan and floor and inner fenders from a toyota corolla KE70 as they match identically maybe no one knows this but ive found this out LOL.
So thats a tough excersice but im willing as my car is falling apart badly.
Now my worry is the rear outer fender area where the bumper mounts on the body the rust is bad right through on both sides.
How would you guys repair this and what would you suggest ?
I was thinking of using some old crashed front fenders to cut and seam weld and flatten some new peices into the back quarter panel as the rust is so bad i cannot rebuild with patches also becuase of the shape of the fender in that area.
There is the curved area of the wheel arch....
There is the flat panel part of the quarter fender ....
And finally the line strip impression in the fender that stretches from the wheel arch or close to all the way to the back of the car ???
What should i do here need some advice ?

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Adams Rusted levin from Afr...love my 86]

Find all posts by this user
10-24-2010, 10:57 PM
Those rear chassis legs are actually double items.
Something the factory probably did for easier manufactering but a killer for rust.
The best thing to do is to cut them away altogether and replace them by one piece made from thicker plate.

But that is alot easier said than done.

Th rust at the rear arches is just a matter of cutting away and replacing it with fresh metal plate. Smile
Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help identifying this! takumi_mt 4 309 04-05-2024 09:17 AM
Last Post: takumi_mt
  TRD ECU need help ps13michi 5 2,809 02-18-2022 10:42 AM
Last Post: ps13michi
  Need some help DJexor 4 4,868 03-13-2018 05:37 PM
Last Post: pack
  JDM trueno not starting. need help! kazi 8 7,872 03-12-2017 05:05 PM
Last Post: kazi
  Stack display system, need help Jimmi The Kid 1 3,829 01-15-2017 10:52 PM