Bushing Kit
05-06-2009, 12:35 AM
Bushing Kit
Oldeskewltoy i appreciate your opinions as i see your think about every detail. Can you tell me about the TRD bushings, but you subjective feeling from the car, comparing to stock and to prothane.

I was after TRD set as the only options as i like rallying backroads but then i mounted TRD motor and gearbos mounts and my interest to have TRD bushings on my suspension is falling off because it is rubber but wery stiff one. Engine is barelly moving but the whole car is vibrating like crazy because of this, well its mostly on idle, not so pleased about it in the city at the lights and jams. Well its the suspension set the same rubber?

My opinion about Prothane that they are good for stabilisers but not so good for the trailing arms(especially upper ones) as they carry much more vibrations to the body. I still have stock bushings on trailing arms. heard about superflex that they are much better, no idea i want to try it.

http://www.86ers.org
All the hachies that Daytona can only dream about.
Find all posts by this user
05-06-2009, 12:56 AM
Bushing Kit
It's known fact that TRD engine mounts are real hard.

But AFAIK TRD bushings are softer than prothane... it would be interesting to see prothane engine mounts Big Grin
05-06-2009, 01:02 AM
Bushing Kit
You pays your money and you takes your choice. The firmer the
bushing the sharper and more precise the response of the car to driver
input, and the better the feedback from the car to the driver. Full race
setups use spherical metal bearings to eliminate all unwanted movement
in the suspension.

Spherical bearings also make sure that every bit of vibration and noise
is transmitted into the chassis. This is considered an undesirable
characteristic by the manufacturers of standard road cars. Hence, they
go to some trouble to insert rubber bushings between the suspension
components and the chassis to provide a quiet and smooth ride.

Any bushing that is stiffer than stock will increase noise and vibration.

I have the TRD bushing set installed, and consider it a great compromise
between improved handling and increased noise and vibration. I would
not recommend poly bushings for a car that spends most of its time on
the roads. For a race car, yes, firmer is better.

Incidentally, you do not need the TRD top hat bushings if your original
OEM AE86 bushings are in good condition. If you have an AE85, change
to the OEM AE86 version, as they are stiffer.

Likewise, you do not need Cusco or TRD engine and trans mounts. Get
new OEM mounts and you will be happy.

Cheers... jondee86
05-06-2009, 01:33 AM
Bushing Kit
Well i know very well about those aspects, sperical bearings is something that comes even not in my mind.

I tested Prothane on friends car, then we removed uper links bushings and replaced with standard ones.

My car has still standard bushings on trailing arms, front arms and tension rods, i replaced only stabilisers bushes and stabi ends links with superflex.
But i need replace also the other stock bushes as they are in very bad condition, many european salty winters over them. And really dont want to have more vibrations.

Ok so i look for TRD set, any recomendations?
I remove the TRD motor mounts+ the Superflexes for my future trackday car project and buy stock motor and engine mounts for my daily-rally car.

My strut hats are worn out and unsafe for driving, rubber is faling down from the metal piece. So i need it asap. and TRD are cheaper as stock ones from toyota.

Thanks for advices
But still want to wait to oldeskewltoy or some real user opinions about TRD set.

http://www.86ers.org
All the hachies that Daytona can only dream about.
05-06-2009, 06:27 AM
Bushing Kit
The TRD engine mounts and the Cusco engine mounts lower the engine to lower the CG just a bit more. That is all out racing in my opinion, not needed for most applications

Concerning stiffer... the better (spherical bearings, or heim joints) I disagree.....

many cars can't run components that firm without the chassis being reinforced to tolerate the loss of bushings.....
.....remember our little AE86 is just an econobox, assembled for street use.... at least before roll cage and stitch welding

Concerning TRD use....... I've been their biggest cheerleader Hurray! They are compliant enough without sacrificing much. I've had people drive my car and were amazed at the control and quiet. They've lasted 10 years, and are still going strong. What else can I say.....???? I believe them to be worth 4 times the cost of Prothane because I believe them to be more than 4 times the bushing

Btw... one thing you can do with TRD bushings you can't do with Prothane, stock, or hardpoint mount.... set a preload on the suspension.
Look carefully at the trailing arm I posted, note the "teeth" in the center metal sleeve, you can tighten the bolts with them unloaded, or preloaded. This is a small way to add additional adjustability into your suspension........

Dan -

You can |Sad .... OR you can ask for help!!!

OST Porting service - http://hachiroku.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19991

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  T3 rack adaptor bushing TheGerman 4 6,093 03-09-2012 12:32 AM
Last Post: TheGerman
  Prothane Bushing Install Question locknload68 6 6,794 06-12-2011 06:12 PM
Last Post: Ivan141
  Rear 4 links bushing size MartinS 1 3,274 09-24-2009 09:49 AM
Last Post: MartinS
  Ebay prothane bushing-kit harkes 7 6,455 12-22-2005 11:48 PM
Last Post: ae86