Blaze's AE86
08-11-2023, 10:55 PM
Blaze's AE86
That's an amazing amount of work you did there! dSmileb
Have you already decided upon the colour?

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Blaze's AE86]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-17-2023, 12:59 PM
Blaze's AE86
I believe this will answer the question!
Ultimately i gave up and indulged in the white (03Cool and black (202) panda scheme Smile
Unfortunately there was some issues with the tape, and i'll need to refine/clean the line where the two colors meet. Other than that i'm almost satisfied, considering it's and home made job done it in a garage.
I've tried to respect the OEM painting, with the curve at the back of the car, and keeping the correct measurement for the bottom black part. I have already had the Trueno front wing, so it was easy to use it as reference.
Again, it's not perfect, but i think i can adjust it to look fine. I'm really never happy with my works Sad
But at least, in the next weeks i can finally get it back on wheels and start to mount some stuff Big Grin

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
08-17-2023, 05:01 PM
Blaze's AE86
Savage work gone into that!!!
Tofu perhaps?
08-18-2023, 10:47 AM
Blaze's AE86
(08-17-2023 05:01 PM)Mylesmck Wrote:  Savage work gone into that!!!
Tofu perhaps?
Maybe in the future!
I am an Initial D fan, but i really like the clean OEM look.
Thanks to all for the appreciation, wife and friends are getting tired of me only speaking about my progress on the car ahahah Dodgy
08-29-2023, 05:11 PM
Blaze's AE86
So, in the next days i should receive brand new brake disks, and finally assemble the axles and take it of from the jack stands, at least for a while Dodgy
In the meantime i have a couple of questions that i hope can also be helpful to others.

For context, i will most likely get the car registered again in Germany, with the TUV § 21 procedure.
I've contacted Christian Müller from RHD Speedmaster, and for a price that i consider reasonable, it can make the car road legal and since the car will be basically stock, it should be easy, as long as everything work as intended.
Currently i only have 13" wheels, and i want to fit 15" or at least 14" wheels.
To do that the wheels must be OEM or TüV approved.
Do someone know which manufacturer produce wheels with TüV approval for the 86 with a reasonable price?

Other question is, my VIN plate in the firewall is lightly ruined, the "TOYOTA MOTOR COMPANY" printing it's almost gone. Should i try to restore mine or buy a reproduction?
For what i understand, messing too much with vin tags it's, well, illegal Angel
Also i'm completely missing the vin tag on the dashboard.

Last question is, beside Germany, there other country where it would be easier to register the car? With easier i mean less strict. In Italy unfortunately it's almost impossible do something like the thing i'm doing. But if the car have German paper, or from other EU country, it's a completely different story.

Thanks!
08-30-2023, 09:21 PM
Blaze's AE86
I think the most relaxed country in Europe is the Netherlands. So long as the paperwork is all fine, the car is in good shape (e.g. would pass normal inspections) and obeys the Dutch registration laws of when it was produced (e.g. 40 year old laws) it will probably pass registration. So even with aftermarket parts, modifications done (e.g. roll cage installed, megan tie rod ends, etc), it would still be possible to register the car as long as it's road worthy. Of course, the more you deviate from stock, the more strict the inspection will become. Wink
There is one more tricky thing: to get a car registered in the Netherlands, it needs to be imported and importduties and tax (VAT) have to be paid. However, this does not account for secondhand cars obtained from another EU memberstate. Since yours originates from either Germany or Austria (depends on the last registration) you would not have to pay these duties and tax.

Germany has also become a bit more relaxed lately, especially since the German Whatsapp group collected all sorts of documentation on various aftermarket JDM parts which then helps to get it through Tüv as well. If the last registration was in Germany it probably is easier to register in Germany. I think it would be best to contact Hama86 as he is the owner of the German Whatsapp group and he can help you out with the German rules and such.

09-21-2023, 04:51 PM
Blaze's AE86
Thanks for all the info, appreciated!
Now some update! Finally, after almost a year and a half, it's on the wheels again! Big Grin
I've added insulating material on the floor, added the quarter windows, assembled (almost) the pedals and heater unit.

Next steps are:
- Rebuild the brake calipers and mount them
- Finish to fix door and other body parts
- Start with the wiring
- Mount the windshield

Once all of these stuff are done i will start with the engine rebuild, mainly because this way i can clear some space at home Dodgy
I'm just a little bit worried on how to proceed for the missing VIN tag in the dashboard. Confused
Should i try get in touch with Toyota about it?

09-21-2023, 09:31 PM (This post was last modified: 09-21-2023 09:36 PM by banpei.)
Blaze's AE86
I'm sorry, I missed this question...

(08-29-2023 05:11 PM)Blaze0010 Wrote:  Other question is, my VIN plate in the firewall is lightly ruined, the "TOYOTA MOTOR COMPANY" printing it's almost gone. Should i try to restore mine or buy a reproduction?
For what i understand, messing too much with vin tags it's, well, illegal Angel
Also i'm completely missing the vin tag on the dashboard.
In principle the firewall ID plate in Europe (and Japan) doesn't contain a VIN as back then it wasn't a mandatory standard yet. In the US they did get a VIN on both the firewall ID plate and the firewall. So in Europe the plate contains the serial number, trim level and other details of your car. The serial number is also stamped on the firewall itself.

This is the firewall ID plate:
And this is the same serial on the firewall:

Most countries, like the Netherlands, only care about the serial on the firewall. You can easily tamper with the firewall plate, but not that easily with the stamping of the firewall. Also some countries (like Belgium) sometimes feature different plates riveted over the firewall plate as their legislation in the 1980s required that.

So you should be able replace the firewall plate without a problem as long as it contains the same serial number. You can buy them online and get the either engraved or stamped. Toyota used both methods for the AE86, where it depended on the factory which methods they used. Tahara (A52/A54) used to engrave them (like seen above) while Higashi (M21) stamped them. It is also important to note that they are stamped outwards, so from behind.

This one seems to be a close match with the ones from Japanese: https://identification-plates.com/en/toy...n-tag.html
While this one is closer to the European/USDM plates: https://identification-plates.com/en/toy...n-tag.html

09-25-2023, 05:25 PM
Blaze's AE86
Perfect, so the for the serial stamper on the firewall i just need to clean it a bit after the paint job, while for the firewall plate i've already found it online, basically the same model, so easy fix!
There is also this spot on the dashboard metal part, where it clearly miss something
But for what i was able to find it should only be a metal tag with Toyota written all over it, like this:
On newer car usually in this spot you should be able to see the serial, but these doesn't seems the case!
Wondering if this tag can be find somewhere or made it, or if it's best to leave it like this o cover it.
I'm just trying to figure it all out before putting the windshield back on, then i think it would be very difficult Big Grin

09-25-2023, 08:44 PM
Blaze's AE86
As far as I know the European AE86-es never got the serial under the windshield. The USDM ones did get them with the VIN under the windshield:
I guess it must have been some legislation in the US mandating this.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OST-035: Silver Blaze oldeskewltoy 14 16,569 10-24-2015 09:08 AM
Last Post: Bean