Audio
11-12-2008, 02:51 PM
Audio
Has anyone of you made something with the stock audio in his car? As I remember there are very small speakers in the dash and nothing on the back part.

AE86! love love love!
Hankiewicz Rally Team
Find all posts by this user
11-12-2008, 03:01 PM
Audio
Thankfully, I havent seen any hachi's with big stereo installations yet. Goes against the whole concept of the lightweight sportscoupe it is.
That being said, there is lots you can do to improve on the installation without ruining the car.

I had speakers in my front door cards in my car, but I switched the cards for some clean ones and installed some small speakers behind the dash. If you pay for good speakers, they will sound much better than the stock 4" ones or whatever it is in there.

With a bit of measurement, you can fit some nice speakers in the parcel shelf on a coupe, most people make their own board out of wood (mdf).
What's left is a good radio, and you should be able to squeeze quite decent sound out of it.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-12-2008, 03:27 PM
Audio
hmm, i replaced whatever speakers were in it (all torn up conus holders'n'stuff, so crappy sound at worst. No sound at best Wink ) with some 10cm 3-way speakers from Sony. I'm figuring now that 2-way speakers would be more than sufficient... although the Sony's are starting to mellow out a bit. They were pretty harsh on the ears with the high tones, and don't have enough response to handle the bottom end power.

No bass... kinda sucks for drum'n'bass Tongue

Other than that, I haven't done anything to upgrade the audio system. It "works™" just fine for me right now, although I would like a bit more uumph in the bottom end at some point, but I fear accoustics will be bad for subs

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Audio]
11-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Audio
Oh Ivan come on! I wasnt speaking about changing my car to Calibra or other rednecks car - I will do that when I'll by nice new Adidas suit with 4 strips Tongue

I need just any kind of sound quality -which is not provided in this car.

The radio which is my car is first exampler after gramophone and the speakers are made of origami I suppose.

Cavey you say that those speakers in dash are 10cm?

AE86! love love love!
Hankiewicz Rally Team
11-12-2008, 06:15 PM
Audio
Although I consider a sound system as luxury, I think that two decent speakers and a cd/mp3 player (that doesen't look like a UFO with stupid colours and bling bling lights on it) is the way to go. I do not like to listen to music too loud when in car (two peakers are more than enough), plus it's just a replacement for the stock ones. As for turning the AE into a boom car packed with ICE, is really like destroying it. :wink:

JapanPower

UoP Racing website
UoP Racing videos

Racing, because football, basketball, tennis & golf only require ONE ball....
11-12-2008, 06:28 PM
Audio
Ivan141 Wrote:Thankfully, I havent seen any hachi's with big stereo installations yet.
Then you haven't looked properly because I'm quite sure we've been standing next to one together.
11-12-2008, 09:18 PM
Audio
I love good sound in car. It's completly different thing that BIG NOISE

AE86! love love love!
Hankiewicz Rally Team
11-12-2008, 09:35 PM
Audio
I have 2 in the dash and 2 in the rear. My sound was fine. I had some decent speakers in the car. But I enjoy music and thus in Holland traffic jams suck ass without music.

If you really want to get alot out of your sounds system while using the standard spots available. (like I have myselve)

You must find speakers that have a good material. So that its less sound box depended. (compare it to a computer speaker which has a small sound box)

I would make a shelf myself and cover it so that it looks original. (the holes are there though and 3 door hachi had an option for speakers in the rearshelf)

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
11-12-2008, 10:13 PM
Audio
http://www.allegro.pl/item472412725_hert..._w_wa.html

suppose it is good and resonable plan

AE86! love love love!
Hankiewicz Rally Team
11-12-2008, 11:00 PM
Audio
Looks like quality to me. Sorry if I gave you the impression that I thought you wanted a bigass stereo installation.. I was just mentioning it.

That speaker in the link you posted looks like pretty good quality to me, but do measure the speaker size before you buy anything. I put standard AE82 speakers in mine, and those turned out to be slightly bigger than the AE86 type. It's easy enough to get the measurements by removing the little cover panel on the driverside of the dash.

For decent sound, a pair of rear speakers is a MUST. you cant get decent bass out of the fronts, and the noiselevel in a hachi will overpower them easily. I have good experiences with JBL's GTO line of speakers, but I think you should be able to do better on your budget (judging from the way you restored your car). I personally think a simple 6x9 is best, preferably not a combined 3-way type because those wires through the conus tend to get stiff after a while (must be the sun), and that totally ruins otherwise fine speakers. Besides, you want the high tone detail coming from the front anyway for good sound staging.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!