AE86 booter
03-22-2021, 08:21 PM
AE86 booter
Lots done, I keep getting deja vu in this thread.
Spraymax is good stuff but a bit expensive if you need to do the whole car.
Do wear proper respiratory protection.. that stuff is really bad for you.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-22-2021, 10:16 PM
AE86 booter
(03-22-2021 08:21 PM)Ivan141 Wrote:  Lots done, I keep getting deja vu in this thread.
Spraymax is good stuff but a bit expensive if you need to do the whole car.
Do wear proper respiratory protection.. that stuff is really bad for you.
I think it came to about €60 for the 4 cans... It would be dearer now with delivery thanks to brexit

About the safety, I wore a full painters suit, visor and organic vapour filters on the mask..... There's no isocyanates in it, but can't be too careful. For the underside I might use jotun90 applied with a roller ...

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
Find all posts by this user
03-23-2021, 09:52 AM
AE86 booter
No iso's, didnt know that, but it still pays off to practice extreme caution. From what I've gleaned over the internets, even the water-based paints are still very bad news for your health, just in different ways. Your mask should be fine as long as you change the filters on time.
I bought 4 cans of epoxy primer (iso based), used up 1.5 so far, and that was mostly spot repairs since the whole car was already primered after blasting.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
03-28-2021, 12:35 AM (This post was last modified: 03-28-2021 12:46 AM by Mylesmck.)
AE86 booter
Circles, circles.... Ever decreasing circles lol[Image: AEU86 AE86 - AE86 booter][Image: AEU86 AE86 - AE86 booter][Image: AEU86 AE86 - AE86 booter]

I was wondering if anyone could help me identify some holes in the firewall. This pic is taken from the engine bay, driver's side (rhd car). I know 1 2 & 3 are clutch, brake and throttle, but what about the two circled in pink?[Image: AEU86 AE86 - AE86 booter]

.... I was going through your project thread today @Ivan141 , and I noticed you'd fitted the gussets in the engine bay too! How you getting on with yours? (I only got to page 44, because I had to leave work, come home and do some welding/grinding)

Please don't look too close at my welds..[Image: AEU86 AE86 - AE86 booter][Image: AEU86 AE86 - AE86 booter]

03-28-2021, 03:29 PM
AE86 booter
Quote:I was going through your project thread today @Ivan141 , and I noticed you'd fitted the gussets in the engine bay too! How you getting on with yours?

Last thing I did was sand/scuff the entire interior.
Need to pick up a new spray gun and I'm set to paint the inside.
Must admit that there is a teensy bit of surface rust coming from a seam in the back that is doing my nut in. Realistically I know there will be many seems that still have a bit of rust in them (the japanese 86 resto on youtube gave me nightmares in that regard by showing all the spots I did not bother to peel apart). So I guess I'll just do the best I can and douse those seams in rust converter pre-painting, and cavity wax post-paint, then hope it will last me a while.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
03-28-2021, 04:30 PM
AE86 booter
Yeah, I don't think that his ae86 has been welded before, seems to be all original paint, he seems to be able to find evidence of rust in certain areas ie. cracked paint and rust stains. Mine has been repainted at least twice, so the paint could be hiding a multitude of sins .... He also seems to know where to cut, places that appear to be fine; I'd say it's not his first rodeo lol

Have you picked your colours yet? I was originally going red panda, but am not so sure now... Considering kawasaki green including the engine bay... As I'm shaving it, be a shame to do all that work in there and not make it 'pop'...

03-29-2021, 11:40 PM
AE86 booter
All captive nuts and holes welded/patched on the inner wings. Not sure what to do about the firewall... I've not been able to identify all the holes, so until then....

I may fill in the bolt holes above the seam, as it's quite visible with the engine in. Also I think I'll smooth out some of the top of the front lamp panel, in for a penny; in for a pound sorta thing[Image: AEU86 AE86 - AE86 booter]

03-30-2021, 09:07 AM
AE86 booter
Going shaved bay? The thought seems appealing until you look at the amount of mounting holes in the engine bay and consider where the hell else you are going to mount all that crap.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
03-31-2021, 11:16 AM
AE86 booter
(03-30-2021 09:07 AM)Ivan141 Wrote:  Going shaved bay? The thought seems appealing until you look at the amount of mounting holes in the engine bay and consider where the hell else you are going to mount all that crap.
All part of the fun

04-05-2021, 11:33 PM
AE86 booter
Got the new outriggers fitted, which is all of the structural welding for the front end completed. They're formed from 1.2mm and are noticably heavier than the originals, so hopefully they'll add to the strength.

https://youtu.be/ViGtCIJtTw0

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My 20v booter project diggerdolan 2 5,103 10-01-2012 04:45 PM
Last Post: zenki