4AGZE in an AE86
01-13-2007, 05:37 PM
4AGZE in an AE86
Red Wrote:Finn-
I understand that, but I read the original post to mean they are going to use a 4AGE ECU, which does not have a knock sensor, with a 4AGZE engine--which should be equipped with a knock sensor and an ECU that can take advantage of it. A 4AGZE ECU, not a 4AGE ECU.

Can you improve the performance of a stock 4AGE with 4AGE ECU ? What's available over there?

Hello..
No the 4age ECU dosnt have knocksensor.But that is no problem, it runs 4age timing, and when it get boost, it runs 5 degredes lower..
Hope you understand what i am saying..
Finn
Find all posts by this user
01-13-2007, 06:27 PM
4AGZE in an AE86
Finn, I do understand the 4AGE ECU does not have knock sensor.

I don't understand how it could run five degrees lower when it gets boost. I think when you say "lower" you mean lower, as in "earlier" timing, more degrees BTC. But I don't understand why the timing would change when it gets boost. Or why you wouldn't use the 4AGZE ECU, which could give you better timing adjustment with the knock sensor system.

Original owner, 1985 Toyota Corolla GT-S in the US of A. Will trade for a Cadillac-Gage V150 or a Ford GT44.
01-13-2007, 08:14 PM
4AGZE in an AE86
Red Wrote:Finn, I do understand the 4AGE ECU does not have knock sensor.

I don't understand how it could run five degrees lower when it gets boost. I think when you say "lower" you mean lower, as in "earlier" timing, more degrees BTC. But I don't understand why the timing would change when it gets boost. Or why you wouldn't use the 4AGZE ECU, which could give you better timing adjustment with the knock sensor system.

Well if you know how to get the ECU to do it, then you can run 5 degredes off map...
Not 5 before btc, but if you run 30 degredes with no boost, then it is 25 when boost is there...
Much eaysier to do the swap, dont need all the wireing, and the engine make more hp, bécause the 4agze ECU is VERY conservativ, and as i said before, better miles/gallon..
Finn