10w40 Motul for me - no problems

84' AE86 Levin
96' 500HP WRX, powered by landikar
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - 4A-GE and syntethic oil]
Find all posts by this user
11-16-2006, 12:10 AM
4A-GE and syntethic oil
maggkrabar Wrote:10w40 Motul for me - no problems
I have yet to find an engine oil that destroys 4ags within miles.... You can't tell if an oil is really bad for a car until your car has had 200k with the oil and no problemsBig Grin

Thats why I say, for an older engine, why buy the expensive stuff... So if 10w40 motul is cheap, its probably a good choice, if its expensive, you're probably waisting money.

On a rebuild engine, again, thats a whole different story.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
11-16-2006, 12:49 AM
4A-GE and syntethic oil
Motul cheap?

I don't think there's anything, more expensive ;-)

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - 4A-GE and syntethic oil]
Always remember: Rev it till it blows, then back off a bit...
Zenkis - Orange, Red/Black, Silver/Black, Maroon/Blue
Koukis - Red, Silver/Gray,
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-16-2006, 11:25 AM
4A-GE and syntethic oil
dAYTONA Wrote:Motul cheap?

I don't think there's anything, more expensive ;-)
then its a waiste of money in an old 4AG imho Big Grin

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

11-16-2006, 11:29 AM
4A-GE and syntethic oil
Quote:I have yet to find an engine oil that destroys 4ags within miles.... You can't tell if an oil is really bad for a car until your car has had 200k with the oil and no problemsBig Grin

You can tell that oil is junk by deposits (easily - inside valve covers) and worn cams - no need to wait too long Sad
11-16-2006, 11:34 AM
4A-GE and syntethic oil
Like Mux said earlier (but after that he keeps contradicting his own words), end users just aren't capable of making any sensible observations about the way oil affects your engine. I have heard the whole switch to synthetic==ruined engine, but I think that its not a valid conclusion. Much more may be at work. In the end synthetic oil can be EXACTLY the same as dyno oil..as I said there is bunch more designations on the oil then just the XXWXX designation..THOSE are the ones you need to get as well. If you do that, synthetic is just better. PERIOD.
Is it worth it? Depends. It might stretch the life of your engine with a couple more miles.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
11-16-2006, 11:37 AM
4A-GE and syntethic oil
Jamie,

That must be some real bad quality stuff then... I wonder if you can get that on the market here in Holland Big Grin

Seriously though, the mineral oils that they sell in the automotive shops here in Holland for just a few euro's a liter seem to be pretty good quality and if you just make sure you change the oil at your normal regular interval, I just can't imagine they do any damage that hasn't already been done to your engine in the 100k to 200k thats already on your engine when you bought the car. And even if it makes your engine break 10k or 20k earlier (it will still run well over 300k if taken care of properly) then if you would have run a more expensive oil, does that justify the price?

If there really are very bad quality oils out there that really do damage your engine because they have bad contaminents in there, than that is a different story. But I think that atleast here in Holland, they do have some laws that protect us against that.

Again though, my whole point revolves around OLD engines that are already warn. Using better quality oil wont FIX your engine. It will only make the damage that has already been done to your old engine apparent and for that reason aswell it would be wise to stick to mineral oils.

On a rebuild engine, or a new or low mileage engine I have a totally different opinion. There I believe using better quality oils does make a major difference as there the difference in engine life and indeed engine HP output is effected. You engine most likely isn't damaged or warn out much, so using (semi) synth oil will ensure that it will stay healty and good for as long as possible.

But imho, using expensive oils on old engines is just a waiste of money.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

11-16-2006, 04:54 PM
4A-GE and syntethic oil
I know SR20DE engine completely ruined by false MOTUL oil here Sad
The problem is that our market is different. But I think also that I will not use mineral oil in performance engine (esp. without good oil cooler) due to heavier work conditions - over 7000RPM, running hot for long time etc. If you will drive gently and change oil at 7000km - no problem, any oil will work. Synth. will allow you more sporty driving and longer mileage between oil change - at no risk.
11-17-2006, 01:27 AM
4A-GE and syntethic oil
I m using 0W40 synthetic oil ! I use this oil in a lot of familly's cars and it's the same for all : the motor run better ! it go easily in high rpm... normal less resistance Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  trans oil, lsd oil change Apolan 9 15,949 10-01-2014 03:57 PM
Last Post: mad.matt
  Oil cooler -> low oil pressure Jan Pedersen 24 28,342 06-06-2013 07:36 PM
Last Post: Deuce Cam
  track questions:max oil/water temp,egt and other ditn 7 7,441 07-06-2012 12:40 PM
Last Post: ditn
  Wiseco Pistons and Oil Squirters slacker.cam 1 3,089 05-15-2012 12:02 AM
Last Post: slacker.cam
  water and oil pump The Big Yin 11 10,676 12-07-2011 06:06 AM
Last Post: Project D