start problems
07-09-2010, 05:39 PM
start problems
I have an 85 corolla gt coupe that will not start.
The car was running great when I drove the car for a few days, i parked it and the day after my car would not start.but the the normal 'click'under the hood that i normally hear when i turn the contact in the "on" possision is gone and I checked all the fuses and they are ok, every other electrical component in the car works fine.Could it maybe a bad relais ore something?

daily driver avensis 2.0 d4d and Yaris 1.0
weekend driver 1985 AE86
Find all posts by this user
07-09-2010, 06:11 PM
start problems
Fuse, relay or a ground connection.. possibly a dead battery but you would have noticed the symptoms for that sooner.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-09-2010, 06:36 PM
start problems
the battery and the fuses are all good and the the starter still turns around but the engine will not run
I was thinking in the direction of an bad start relais.is that the relais located behind the glove compartment(serienr 85910-30050)?How can i measuring this relais?

weekend driver 1985 AE86
07-09-2010, 09:32 PM
start problems
If it was the circuit opening relais it would still start and then die.
Be brave and disconnect the cold start injector line and give the starter a short blip (pull the efi or ign fuse so the engine doesnt start), it's the quickest way of checking if you are getting fuel.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
07-10-2010, 01:41 AM
start problems
Roger Wrote:I have an 85 corolla gt coupe that will not start.
The car was running great when I drove the car for a few days, i parked it and the day after my car would not start.but the the normal 'click'under the hood that i normally hear when i turn the contact in the "on" possision is gone and I checked all the fuses and they are ok, every other electrical component in the car works fine.Could it maybe a bad relais ore something?

no click
easy kid
no click not current to starter (from bat (internal short/leak ) to starter must be cheked)
you are makign a good job finding if any bridge is broken like relay and fuses
and if you are not sure with other recomendation (risking your eyes integrity even if all the manual is copied here) take your baby to the nearest mechanic (push it and clutch it off in 2nd) and he will fix it in just a blink

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - start problems]
07-10-2010, 12:22 PM
start problems
I do believe he mentioned that the starter IS turning.
If disconnecting a fuel line is to adventurous for you you can also just put a temporary power line from the battery to the fuel pump, but that still wont tell you if it is actually pumping anything. Me and many other 86 drivers I know have done the fuel line thing before and haven't had any accidents, but I will admit is is not the safest thing to do.

My main point is: find out what is missing. A running engine needs 3 things: fuel, air and spark. Find out which is missing and you will know where to search.

About the circuit opening relay and fuel supply to the engine: While the starter motor is turning, the fuel pump should be pumping at all times. Once the engine starts the circuit opening relay closes and keeps the fuel pump on.
So if this fails, you usually notice that the engine will fire and then die shortly after because the fuel pressure is gone.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
07-21-2010, 08:33 PM
start problems
The starter is turning but the engine d'ont fire up
the "clic" that you normal hear when you turn the contact in the on possition where does it come from?

weekend driver 1985 AE86
07-21-2010, 11:21 PM
start problems
Probably the engine-main relay or the efi relay. There is a multitude of relays that switch on once your contact is in the on position.
The circuit opening relay mainly powers the fuelpump, and can be switched on by 2 sources: starter switch (during starting) and ECU, after engine has started.

But... i digress... pondering over click or no click will do you no good. Make sure all your fuses are OK. Make sure you have fuel. Make sure you have spark.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
07-24-2010, 07:35 PM
start problems
I have checked today all the fuses again and they are ok
then i checked the engine for spark and fuel
spark was ok but no fuel at the injector rail so i checked the wires in the trunk at the fuel pump and they get power (12v) when i turn the contact key.So i put a battery in the trunk for to hear if the fuel pump is working and i d'ont hear nothing so i think the fuelpump is rip Crying

and is it normal that the relais in the picture is getting hot when i leave the contact on??

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

weekend driver 1985 AE86
07-24-2010, 09:02 PM
start problems
recently i had a simlar problem with fuel...

pump didnt get any power... i changed that relay u point at pic and it works now...
dunno about heting up but maybe some short circuit?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Warm start problem DJexor 5 1,473 03-09-2023 10:15 AM
Last Post: Ivan141
  Big wheel problems gh0st 16 6,531 11-15-2021 10:51 PM
Last Post: gh0st
  Starting problems 4-AGE kouki Hanzo 3 2,052 08-31-2021 06:20 PM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  Weak spark, doesn’t start. AlexFourTwenty 4 13,148 12-12-2017 03:35 AM
Last Post: AlexFourTwenty
  Won´t start AlexKTM 6 14,830 12-04-2017 10:05 PM